Which Branch To Choose?

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My fifteen-year-old son is starting to give serious thought to which branch of the military he wishes to join when he graduates high school. I've given him what basic information I can on what each branch does, and directed him to the websites for each. My menfolk are more than willing to talk to him about it, but they're all a bit biased. My husband favors the Air Force, since his father was retired from that branch. Our roommate is a big fan of the Coast Guard (yes, for those who want to argue, the Coast Guard IS a branch of the military) since he was in the Coast Guard. And my best friend is an enthusiastic fan of the Marines, since he was a Marine.

I've told him he should consider what kind of things he would be interested in learning to do while in the military, and what he wants to do with himself afterward, since so many of the skills learned in the military translate into civilian job fields. And, of course, when he's a little farther into his research on the subject and has a better idea what questions he wants to ask, I will be taking him to the recruiters of his choice to get information.

Knowing that many on USMB have been in the military and/or know a lot about it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight, tips, or suggestions they'd like to offer my son and me as we ponder his future military service.

My fifteen-year-old son is starting to give serious thought to which branch of the military he wishes to join when he graduates high school. I've given him what basic information I can on what each branch does, and directed him to the websites for each. My menfolk are more than willing to talk to him about it, but they're all a bit biased. My husband favors the Air Force, since his father was retired from that branch. Our roommate is a big fan of the Coast Guard (yes, for those who want to argue, the Coast Guard IS a branch of the military) since he was in the Coast Guard. And my best friend is an enthusiastic fan of the Marines, since he was a Marine.

I've told him he should consider what kind of things he would be interested in learning to do while in the military, and what he wants to do with himself afterward, since so many of the skills learned in the military translate into civilian job fields. And, of course, when he's a little farther into his research on the subject and has a better idea what questions he wants to ask, I will be taking him to the recruiters of his choice to get information.

Knowing that many on USMB have been in the military and/or know a lot about it, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any insight, tips, or suggestions they'd like to offer my son and me as we ponder his future military service.

You've already hit on it. Really it all depends upon what he wants to do with his life during and afterward.

The Air Force is a bit more technical over all, but the other branches all have technical positions as well.

The Army has the greatest amount of career choices.

The Navy has the best chance for travel.

The Marines.. ... .... .... well they are the Marines.

The Coast Guard will spend less time on training and more time on mission.

But he's 15.... Tell him to enjoy his teenage years for at least 2 years before he really gets serious about the service. And then visit all the recruiters. Get the real deal at the time. Things change quickly in recruitment as to what they can offer....

Most important of all is to do well on the ASVAB, the better the score, the better the choice of jobs.

Different Uniforms
Different Missions
Same Flag :salute:

The peace corps and USPHS require college. Unless the economy improves and the unemployment rate goes down in the next 2-3 years when your son joins, he will be waiting in line to get in with a whole bunch of other people. Ollie gives great advice. He needs to enjoy his teen years and do good on the ASVAB. I recommend any branch that interests him. I spent 26 years as a Navy Corpsman with three tours with the Marines. My son will commission soon in the Marines. All branches combine to make the world's best fighting force. That is the business of the military, to fight, to kill, and to possibly be killed. Therefore, the choice to join is highly personal and should be the sole decision of the recruit.

You've already hit on it. Really it all depends upon what he wants to do with his life during and afterward.

The Air Force is a bit more technical over all, but the other branches all have technical positions as well.

But he's 15.... Tell him to enjoy his teenage years for at least 2 years before he really gets serious about the service. And then visit all the recruiters. Get the real deal at the time. Things change quickly in recruitment as to what they can offer....

Most important of all is to do well on the ASVAB, the better the score, the better the choice of jobs.
Different Uniforms
Different Missions

THAT is very useful information to have. Any suggestions on how one prepares to do well on this?

He's started showing an interest in Dad and Uncle Sean helping him exercise and get healthier, on the theory that it will make whatever basic training program he goes into easier if he starts out in better shape. I think it's a good idea just in general, anyway.

The peace corps and USPHS require college. Unless the economy improves and the unemployment rate goes down in the next 2-3 years when your son joins, he will be waiting in line to get in with a whole bunch of other people. Ollie gives great advice. He needs to enjoy his teen years and do good on the ASVAB. I recommend any branch that interests him. I spent 26 years as a Navy Corpsman with three tours with the Marines. My son will commission soon in the Marines. All branches combine to make the world's best fighting force. That is the business of the military, to fight, to kill, and to possibly be killed. Therefore, the choice to join is highly personal and should be the sole decision of the recruit.

I don't see researching his choices, particularly when it's something he's getting progressively more excited about, as a barrier to enjoying being a teenager. To the contrary, the farther he has gotten into adolescence, the more he has come to enjoy spending time with the male figures in his life, participating in masculine pursuits and identifying with them in general. I don't pretend to understand it myself, being a woman, but it seems logical to me that it would be an important part of him becoming a man, so . . .

I don't see researching his choices, particularly when it's something he's getting progressively more excited about, as a barrier to enjoying being a teenager. To the contrary, the farther he has gotten into adolescence, the more he has come to enjoy spending time with the male figures in his life, participating in masculine pursuits and identifying with them in general. I don't pretend to understand it myself, being a woman, but it seems logical to me that it would be an important part of him becoming a man, so . . .
I hope he won't be dissappointed to discover there are women in the armed forces as well as men.

I can only realy speak of the Navy.

Travel is the number one benny of being in the Navy. I got paid to go places people save thier entire lives for just to see one of them.

There are a vast range of jobs (rates) that he can do. Also if he's unsure, he can sign up as a "Striker". this give you the chance to look into an array of rates before you pcik one. I don't fully recommend it, b/c strikers get used and abused until they pick something.

Ask how quickly rates promote. Some are full and advance slowly, some are in high demand in the civilian world, so promotions happen quickly.

Remind him that Bootcamp is 8 weeks and 8 weeks only. Navy boot is more of a brain game than a physical one. We don't march around with packs, but we need you to react when the ship is on fire, or flooding.

Being on Subs was part of the best times of my life. A small crew where we knew each other, and relied on each other.

If he wants to meet chicks; Corpman, not yeoman is the way to go. (nurse, not secretary)

PM me if you want more.

unless he plans on making the military a career I'd advise him to learn a trade in the military that can be used in civilian life when he gets out.

Cecilie, my son was big on the military at that age. His plan though was to go NROTC with the Marine option and graduate college as an officer. If your son is a good student, he could qualify for Reserve Officer Training, have his college totally paid for....with a monthly stipend and then do four years of military service following graduation. Something to think about. Yes, there are those enlisted men who turn their nose up at the college/officer route, but it is a good and valid option. My experience with family members who went straight into the service without going to college is that they did not earn a degree once they got out, even though money was available. College before service is a good thing.

Different Uniforms
Different Missions

THAT is very useful information to have. Any suggestions on how one prepares to do well on this?

He's started showing an interest in Dad and Uncle Sean helping him exercise and get healthier, on the theory that it will make whatever basic training program he goes into easier if he starts out in better shape. I think it's a good idea just in general, anyway.

ASVAB

Practice tests to give the young man an Idea of what will be on the actual test.

And yes getting into shape is a good Idea. I know the Army was talking about changing their Physical training recently. I don't know about the others. The army is getting away from longer runs and going to sprints. At least that's what they were talking about.

I hope he won't be dissappointed to discover there are women in the armed forces as well as men.

Doesn't matter. It's still a primarily masculine pursuit, undertaken in a still largely-masculine environment. The women who join the military (and stay in for any length of time) tend to adapt to the atmosphere more than they adapt it to themselves, in my observation.

I never said anything about barriers to the enjoyment of being a teenager. You picked that out of the great paragraph I wrote you?

Forum List

Back