Which Agency Is An Un-Biased Media Source?

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
Obviously Fox, and MSNBC are out. And Democracy Now! And Rush, Hannity, Rightbias.com, conservativetruth.org (that one kills me), Newsmax, Daily KOS, Media Matters, and The Nation.

I would've thought that publicly funded news agencies like NPR, the BBC, and news that comes on public television would be unbiased, but is that truly the case?

Obviously, depending on the slant of the individual reporters, the editors, the executives, there is no such thing as totally objective reporting.

Who do you think is the MOST objective news source?

I can't think of one.

Obviously Fox, and MSNBC are out. And Democracy Now! And Rush, Hannity, Rightbias.com, conservativetruth.org (that one kills me), Newsmax, Daily KOS, Media Matters, and The Nation.

I would've thought that publicly funded news agencies like NPR, the BBC, and news that comes on public television would be unbiased, but is that truly the case?

Obviously, depending on the slant of the individual reporters, the editors, the executives, there is no such thing as totally objective reporting.

I can't think of one.

None ... sorry but it's just not possible now. The ratings wars just ruined integrity in news altogether.

I can't think of one.

There wouldn't be one... it's on YOU to read a variety of sources, think about who owns/controls those sources and how that relates to the articles... and make up your mind using logic and critical thinking.

Check out thepaperboy.com for a list of world news papers... helpful!

I like reading the same story in Al jazeera, CNN, NY Times, Toronto Star, National Post, G&M etc. to see the subtle (or not so subtle) differences, weighting, framing, language use, etc.

But it does take up a chunk of time alas...

all news sources are biased......people simply can not be objective...

Right, but which do you think is MOST objective?

Most objective? In my exp. I would say the Toronto Star because it has equally non-objective parts (articles PRO-war, pro-Iraq invasion, anti-protestor, pro-Bush - right alongside articles that are anti-war, pro-labour, anti-Bush etc. ...last few years for example) basically a diverse range of opinion, perhaps equally biased.

Then again, some articles rely on far more rhetoric than others, so they would of course be more biased and less fact based IMO.

Find a major news source owned by poor people, labour activists or the left... and let me know if one exists. Most are owned by those of a certain segment of society... a small, wealthy segment (the kind that can own media) who have more in common with other owners (of industry, for example) and that often skews perspective.

all news sources are biased......people simply can not be objective...

Right, but which do you think is MOST objective?

there isn't one....the viewer brings their own bias to what they read or watch.....

i watch all three cable news shows each night and read three or for websites daily....

i blend those together to help shape my opinion .....

the most objective person i have ever seen talk about public issues is britt hume....

Every news source is biased to some extent. Some have reputations, and for conservatives to cite to right biased sources (anything owned by Murdoch or Kristol) and liberals to cite to left biased sources (Daily Kos, moveon) isn't going to be very persuasive.

I just was in a thread where Divecon was arguing that "CNSNews" -- formerly called "Conservative News Source" -- was not a biased source.

For straightforward facts, any well known source that is corrobarated by other sources is probably fairly well established. The problem is, many of these sources tend to mix in opinion with fact, and you see people citing the what are essentially opinions as sources of fact.

I can't think of one.

I can't either. That is not important. What matters are the facts and what any particular source IS NOT SAYING OR SHARING with its audience.

I always look to who benefits from any source. Deep Throat was right...follow the money.

There wouldn't be one... it's on YOU to read a variety of sources, think about who owns/controls those sources and how that relates to the articles... and make up your mind using logic and critical thinking.

Check out thepaperboy.com for a list of world news papers... helpful!

I like reading the same story in Al jazeera, CNN, NY Times, Toronto Star, National Post, G&M etc. to see the subtle (or not so subtle) differences, weighting, framing, language use, etc.

But it does take up a chunk of time alas...

If you've ever been in the news for something perhaps you'll agree that sensationalism plays a role in what is reported.

My friend and I found human remains once while climbing a mountain here in Colorado. We knew we should report the discovery even though Dave, my buddy, didn't want to deal with it. When we got back to civilization, we called the local sheriff's office. We were tired, wanting to go home which was a three and a half our drive away and we were out of weed so we were grumpy. I'm a former Marine and my buddy was in the 10th Mountain Division. A deputy came out took our report and then contacted the local Search and Rescue team. We gave them our story, and a map with an 'X' to mark the spot. That was it.

When the local yokel search and rescue team finally located the remains, they found his wallet. A week after that one of our friends sent me a copy of the article.

The man had been missing for ten years (all we found were human bones and clothes). I think you might still be able to find the story at RockyMountainNews.com or TheDenverPost.com since The RMN is out of business. His name was James Mills and the story was published around the end of August or in September of 2005. If you're interested enough to see exactly what was reported.

The article said that two shaken climbers (which we weren't upset at all, just tired and not wanting to deal with cops) walked into his office in Walsenburg, Colorado (which isn't true, we called from a bar in a tiny unincorporated town 30 or so miles away) and reported finding a dead body (also not true, we only found some bones and clothes). Our names weren't included in the article (just "climber from Leadville" and "climber from Boulder").

When I read this I realized just how untrustworthy the media might be. I admit to being disillusioned before, but this incident really openned up my eyes to the fact.

I can't think of one.

I don't detect the slant from CNN.

And NPR is good. The other day they had on Michael Steele. He got about 15 minutes to bash Spector and make his case for why the GOP is good and the Dems are bad.

If it was a liberal station, they wouldn't give the GOP such an opportunity.

And notice who Rachel Maddow, Ed Schultz & Matthews have on their shows. Rove, Delay, Newt & Buchanan.

Seems to me even though MSNBC definately has a liberal slant to it, they give both sides of the story. That's because we aren't afraid of the other side of the story. That's because we are right and they are wrong.

And when I say we are right, I mean right for the American people. And THEY are right too, if you are looking at things from Corporate America's viewpoint.

The News Hour with Jim Leher is the most unbiased news program on TV. It's a solid hour, and they are not influenced by advertisers. They operate on grants from the public and private sector (and corporations), but do not worry about offending them.

Here's why:

First, they put out the news story, and then after the facts are laid out in a perfectly balanced way they say, "and now some commentary with ......"

And they present both sides. In the cases where they don't have an expert from both sides, it's because someone declined to be interviewed, and they announce that.

It's the only news show I watch. It's the only one I can stand. It's the only one I trust.

And for the record, I think ALL of them (other than public TV) are conservative-leaning, including CNN and MSNBC.

I do not want a liberal-leaning channel.

I want dry, boring, no-fancy-graphics and sound effects news, just like they did it thirty years ago.

I want a dull, boring guy in a suit at a desk telling me what happened and nothing more. And when it's time for arguing, I want him to say, "Here are a couple people to debate the issue." And get people from both sides.

I can't stand biased news reporting. I do find Stewart funny, but he is as fair to the right as O'Reilly is to the left.

I do, of course, think that those who are liberally biased admit it. The rightwingers like Boortz and O'Reilly run around lying about their political affiliations and say, "I'm independent," or "I'm a libertarian."

Bullshit.

Last edited:
The News Hour with Jim Leher is the most unbiased news program on TV. It's a solid hour, and they are not influenced by advertisers. They operate on grants from the public and private sector (and corporations), but do not worry about offending them.

Here's why:

First, they put out the news story, and then after the facts are laid out in a perfectly balanced way they say, "and now some commentary with ......"

And they present both sides. In the cases where they don't have an expert from both sides, it's because someone declined to be interviewed, and they announce that.

It's the only news show I watch. It's the only one I can stand. It's the only one I trust.

And for the record, I think ALL of them (other than public TV) are conservative-leaning, including CNN and MSNBC.

I do not want a liberal-leaning channel.

I want dry, boring, no-fancy-graphics and sound effects news, just like they did it thirty years ago.

I want a dull, boring guy in a suit at a desk telling me what happened and nothing more. And when it's time for arguing, I want him to say, "Here are a couple people to debate the issue." And get people from both sides.

I can't stand biased news reporting. I do find Stewart funny, but he is as fair to the right as O'Reilly is to the left.

I do, of course, think that those who are liberally biased admit it. The rightwingers like Boortz and O'Reilly run around lying about their political affiliations and say, "I'm independent," or "I'm a libertarian."

Bullshit.

that is a good show....do you watch the bbc?.....pssssssssstt oreilly aint left.....

The conservatives think its a liberal media agency. Of course, if it isn't a conservative news agency, then, to conservatives, it is liberal.

I think that CNN and FOX are mirror images of each other. To get a glimmer of what the real story is, you really need to have various sources of news.

Usually, you can figure out a reasonable version of the story by piecing together what seems real and throwing out what does not.

The conservatives think its a liberal media agency. Of course, if it isn't a conservative news agency, then, to conservatives, it is liberal.

I think that CNN and FOX are mirror images of each other. To get a glimmer of what the real story is, you really need to have various sources of news.

Usually, you can figure out a reasonable version of the story by piecing together what seems real and throwing out what does not.

the celebrites are......when it is just news and not comentary ranting by oreily, olberman mathews, maddow, hannity they both do pretty well just reporting.....

Forum List

Back