Where's the ACLU on this one?

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I know some of this has been posted before, but I heard a few more details and updates on the Glenn Beck program, so I thought it needed a revisitation.

Four months ago, a Philidelphia man had his driver's liscence revoked after his doctor filled out a form, signing his name and checking two boxes saying, "alcohol abuse" and "poses a driving hazard." This is in compliance with a new Pennsylvania law saying a doctor may disclose information that could affect a patient's ability to drive. The man had told his doctor he drank a six pack of beer every day. The man drinks the beers after he goes home for the night, and the only mark on his driving record is a DWI 23 years ago. His weight and metabolism mean that if he drinks the beers over 2 hours, he is still under the legal driving limit. He has since stopped drinking beer on weekdays due to a heart condition. A judge recently upheld that decision, and said he would have to get a breathalyser keyed to his ignition in order to get his liscence back. What happened to doctor/patient confidentiality? Will patients start witholding information to keep their liscences?

A divorced woman was recently ordered by a court not to smoke around her children as part of the custody proceedings in the court. While smoking around children is a bad practice, the children have no health conditions that could be stimulated by second hand smoke and a recent 9-year study has shown that second hand smoke only poses a problem to those with pre-existing breathing problems. I don't want the mom smoking around the kids, but I don't want the court enforcing that, either.

A Pennsylvania law states that the police may impound your car when you are arrested, not convicted, but arrested, or a drunk driving charge. If you are found innocent, you have to sue the police department to get your car back.

These judges and stupid laws are infringing on the rights of average Americans. They are unjust and unconstitutional, but what makes me almost as angry is that the ACLU is too busy bulldozing crosses and nativity scenes to care.

:blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup: :blowup:

Hobbit said:
I know some of this has been posted before, but I heard a few more details and updates on the Glenn Beck program, so I thought it needed a revisitation.

Four months ago, a Philidelphia man had his driver's liscence revoked after his doctor filled out a form, signing his name and checking two boxes saying, "alcohol abuse" and "poses a driving hazard." This is in compliance with a new Pennsylvania law saying a doctor may disclose information that could affect a patient's ability to drive. The man had told his doctor he drank a six pack of beer every day. The man drinks the beers after he goes home for the night, and the only mark on his driving record is a DWI 23 years ago. His weight and metabolism mean that if he drinks the beers over 2 hours, he is still under the legal driving limit. He has since stopped drinking beer on weekdays due to a heart condition. A judge recently upheld that decision, and said he would have to get a breathalyser keyed to his ignition in order to get his liscence back. What happened to doctor/patient confidentiality? Will patients start witholding information to keep their liscences?

A divorced woman was recently ordered by a court not to smoke around her children as part of the custody proceedings in the court. While smoking around children is a bad practice, the children have no health conditions that could be stimulated by second hand smoke and a recent 9-year study has shown that second hand smoke only poses a problem to those with pre-existing breathing problems. I don't want the mom smoking around the kids, but I don't want the court enforcing that, either.

A Pennsylvania law states that the police may impound your car when you are arrested, not convicted, but arrested, or a drunk driving charge. If you are found innocent, you have to sue the police department to get your car back.

These judges and stupid laws are infringing on the rights of average Americans. They are unjust and unconstitutional, but what makes me almost as angry is that the ACLU is too busy bulldozing crosses and nativity scenes to care.

I just read the update in today's paper on the DUI guy. What a crock of shit Pennsylvania is when it comes to things like this. This state is so anti-alcohol in any way, shape or form its pathetic. You cant buy beers in supermarkets here... it has to be from a bar/beer distributor. Whiskey comes from liquor stores, and all are closed on Sundays.

As far as the breathalyzer machine is concerned, that is the punishment for convicted DUI offenders. Not only do they install this device to the ignition of your vehicle, but what the article failed to mention is that it is the responsibility of the driver to purchase said equipment at the whopping price of around 2 thousand bucks.

lilcountriegal said:
I just read the update in today's paper on the DUI guy. What a crock of shit Pennsylvania is when it comes to things like this. This state is so anti-alcohol in any way, shape or form its pathetic. You cant buy beers in supermarkets here... it has to be from a bar/beer distributor. Whiskey comes from liquor stores, and all are closed on Sundays.

As far as the breathalyzer machine is concerned, that is the punishment for convicted DUI offenders. Not only do they install this device to the ignition of your vehicle, but what the article failed to mention is that it is the responsibility of the driver to purchase said equipment at the whopping price of around 2 thousand bucks.

I reposted in another article accidentally. Its absolute Bullshit.

Hobbit said:

This case is ripe for an appeal to Federal court, if he bothers, and will get tossed out.

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8-med.htm#C

The doc had no business signing any documents to revoke the man's license. He isn't an alcoholic, he has suffered no discernable impairment, his drinking a six pack a day has not caused any interference in his normal day to day activities. The MD is choc full o' shit.

Bullypulpit said:
The doc had no business signing any documents to revoke the man's license. He isn't an alcoholic, he has suffered no discernable impairment, his drinking a six pack a day has not caused any interference in his normal day to day activities. The MD is choc full o' shit.

and free of any legal ramifications. He remains anonymous.

Forum List

Back