Where's Global Warming

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
In Seattle we are experiencing our THIRD snowstorm in as many months, of course it probably won't hang on too long like that last two. So ... even I am now asking: Aren't we suppose to be getting warmer? There's another storm heading from the East to, hitting eastern states that they mentioned. Right now I am seeing an inch fall ... right in downtown.

In Seattle we are experiencing our THIRD snowstorm in as many months, of course it probably won't hang on too long like that last two. So ... even I am now asking: Aren't we suppose to be getting warmer? There's another storm heading from the East to, hitting eastern states that they mentioned. Right now I am seeing an inch fall ... right in downtown.

Be grateful for the precipitaton--even I ( the original 'I hate winter' dude ) would accept snow right now. We're gonna dry up and blow away.

Be grateful for the precipitaton--even I ( the original 'I hate winter' dude ) would accept snow right now. We're gonna dry up and blow away.

You're in Texas dude .... and you're complaining about being dry. *giggle* Sorry, that just seems like irony to me.

The last few years in Seattle we were lucky to get a little snow, so it was easy to assume that we were warmer, until you look at our past. We go through cycles, a few years of dry winters followed by a few years of snow storms. So it's still normal weather for us. Almost all states go through cycles like that. Hell, about 10 years ago I was in Tucson, and we got snow .. it melted once the sun came out, but it snowed one entire night.The 5+ years I lived there that was the only time it happened, but it wasn't something those who lived there their whole lives were surprised about, they said it happens once in awhile.

ahhh One of those that still thinks Texas is a desert and we all ride horses.

The river behind my son in this pic is totally dry as are many wells. ( yes we drink water too ).

bensfish.jpg

The river behind my son in this pic is totally dry as are many wells. ( yes we drink water too ).

bensfish.jpg

No, but desert states, like Arizona and Texas, are not "wet" by any standard. Pretty pond, but here's how you can tell it's a "dry" pond, look at the trees. We'll compare to the notoriously wet Western Washington, here the trees almost always grow right up to the water level all year long, the reason isn't because there is less water but because the water level doesn't change enough to see the difference. Show a pic of that same spot from two points in the year, mid summer and mid winter, and you will be able to see what I mean. Being 'dry' means that there are periods of drought, not that the entire area is always in drought, that's dry and arid such as the Sahara. Eastern Washington is dry, about the same as Tucson, but not nearly as bad as other areas in both Arizona and Texas. If there was drought all the time then there would only be a few trees total, and they would be only one species of tree. However, near the lakes the area always looks better than further away. Show a pic of the middle of Austin ... right downtown. It's the same as Pheonix ... been to both myself.

bensfish.jpg

No, but desert states, like Arizona and Texas, are not "wet" by any standard. Pretty pond, but here's how you can tell it's a "dry" pond, look at the trees. We'll compare to the notoriously wet Western Washington, here the trees almost always grow right up to the water level all year long, the reason isn't because there is less water but because the water level doesn't change enough to see the difference. Show a pic of that same spot from two points in the year, mid summer and mid winter, and you will be able to see what I mean. Being 'dry' means that there are periods of drought, not that the entire area is always in drought, that's dry and arid such as the Sahara. Eastern Washington is dry, about the same as Tucson, but not nearly as bad as other areas in both Arizona and Texas. If there was drought all the time then there would only be a few trees total, and they would be only one species of tree. However, near the lakes the area always looks better than further away. Show a pic of the middle of Austin ... right downtown. It's the same as Pheonix ... been to both myself.

Read carefully---that is a RIVER --not a pond and Texas is far from being a desert state. There are no trees next to the RIVER because flooding has washed them all down the river. The aquifers are dropping to unheard of levels in some counties. No, Texas is not the Amazon rain forest but trust me, we usually get a hell of a lot more rain than this.

bensfish.jpg

Read carefully---that is a RIVER --not a pond and Texas is far from being a desert state. There are no trees next to the RIVER because flooding has washed them all down the river. The aquifers are dropping to unheard of levels in some counties. No, Texas is not the Amazon rain forest but trust me, we usually get a hell of a lot more rain than this.

Okay ... my reference to "pond" may have been wrong, so I amend it to "creek".

The tree line changing because of the changes in water level ... I aid that already. I also explained the difference between "getting a lot of rain" and being "a wet or dry place". The difference isn't the amount of rain, Tucson has a much higher rainfall in inches per year than Seattle, but how often. Western Washington gets rain all year round, though mostly just light rain. This keeps the ground wet and the water table is stable throughout the year, rarely dipping or rising much more than a couple of inches. One benefit to being a wet area is that the tree roots intertwine more and support each other, so the occasional flood (about one every several years) does not "wash them down the river", however, if the ground is dry more often than moist then the tree roots are shallow, so when a flooding does occur the trees are easily ripped from the shoreline. Last year the lower Green River flooded by three feet (if I remember well), it's the creek sized part of the river thankfully, The trees that stretched to the shore are still there, only a few were broken loose. Dry areas have more clay, this is how they are able to keep small rivers, and ponds in spite of long drought periods, however it does not allow most plant life to drink from it, thus why the trees look like dwarfs compared to ours, and why they have a lot less green.

You know it just dawned on me, why the hell do you even care about whether your state is dry or not? Is there some unwritten rule that calling someplace dry is now an insult?

Okay ... my reference to "pond" may have been wrong, so I amend it to "creek".

The tree line changing because of the changes in water level ... I aid that already. I also explained the difference between "getting a lot of rain" and being "a wet or dry place". The difference isn't the amount of rain, Tucson has a much higher rainfall in inches per year than Seattle, but how often. Western Washington gets rain all year round, though mostly just light rain. This keeps the ground wet and the water table is stable throughout the year, rarely dipping or rising much more than a couple of inches. One benefit to being a wet area is that the tree roots intertwine more and support each other, so the occasional flood (about one every several years) does not "wash them down the river", however, if the ground is dry more often than moist then the tree roots are shallow, so when a flooding does occur the trees are easily ripped from the shoreline. Last year the lower Green River flooded by three feet (if I remember well), it's the creek sized part of the river thankfully, The trees that stretched to the shore are still there, only a few were broken loose. Dry areas have more clay, this is how they are able to keep small rivers, and ponds in spite of long drought periods, however it does not allow most plant life to drink from it, thus why the trees look like dwarfs compared to ours, and why they have a lot less green.

You know it just dawned on me, why the hell do you even care about whether your state is dry or not? Is there some unwritten rule that calling someplace dry is now an insult?

he probably gets thirsty once in awhile.

Global Warming Debate Heats Up in the Pacific Northwest as Air and Water Temperatures Rise Faster Than World Average
Tuesday November 8, 2005
When it comes to weather, the Pacific Northwest is best known for its legendary rain, but the region may be on its way to becoming the poster child for the effects of global warming and climate change.

The Pacific Northwest is warming faster than most other places in the world, according to a new study released in October by the Climate Impacts Group at the University of Washington and the Puget Sound Action Team, which defines, coordinates and implements Washington state’s environmental agenda for Puget Sound, the region’s most vital marine habitat.

While average global temperatures rose 1.1 degrees Fahrenheit during the 20th century, Northwest winters have warmed 2.7 degrees since 1950, in part because of cycles in ocean conditions. Water temperatures are escalating, too, and water levels are rising at a rate that is outpacing world averages. Scientists are already seeing dramatic effects from these changes, from changes in snowmelt and river flows to deadly consequences for fish and other marine life, and those effects will quickly become worse if action isn’t taken.
Global Warming Debate Heats Up in the Pacific Northwest as Air and Water Temperatures Rise Faster Than World Average

In our own backyard, much of the state of Texas -- 97.4% to be exact -- is now gripped by drought, and parts of it by the worst drought in almost a century. According to the New York Times, "Winter wheat crops have failed. Ponds have dried up. Ranchers are spending heavily on hay and feed pellets to get their cattle through the winter. Some wonder if they will have to slaughter their herds come summer. Farmers say the soil is too dry for seeds to germinate and are considering not planting." Since 2004, in fact, the state has yoyo-ed between the extremities of flood and drought.

Peak Energy: How Dry Are We ?

LOL ... right on cue. Sure, half our winters are warmer ... then we go into a cold period and start over. It's been like this since I was young. It's a normal cycle. The last few years we have had more snow fall and even rainfall than normal, to the point that many of us natives are happy for this change. Let's see, the entire time I grew up here, we got one snow every couple of years, never more than a couple inches. Two years ago we got three feet! It lasted for two weeks, there was one time growing up that we had that, and that was in Kent-Covington ... further south and not surrounded by water, so the snow stuck longer (about three or four weeks). It shut down everything because it knocked out the power, since we weren't use to that much snow at once we hadn't thought to upgrade much of the utilities to prepare for it (red in the face, but oh well). The one two years ago was worse because it even shut down Seattle, as did the snow storm in December. We have had record LOWs since December, record since we were able to accurately record temperatures. I could go on, but if you don't get it, try moving up here for a couple decades and taking to people who have spent most of our lives here ... you may find out that your reports are not even close to accurate.

One thing, when I was REALLY young we would play in the swamps even in the dead of winter, because they never froze over, but as a teen they were freezing over almost every year, so we just took to random vandalism instead.

Global warming is the cause...global WEIRDING is the effect.

Have you not been paying attention? Global Warming causes EVERYTHING. To cold, global warming, to hot, global warming, no rain, global warming, to much rain, global warming. No storms, global warming, to many storms, global warming.

Your car didn't start today, GLOBAL WARMING. Any and every weather condition is Global warming. Any and every weather pattern, Global Warming. EVERYTHING is cause of Global Warming. Makes it so much easier to keep claiming Global Warming when you get to claim EVERY SINGLE event, EVERY effect, EVERY weather pattern or condition is, well Global Warming.

Have you not been paying attention? Global Warming causes EVERYTHING. To cold, global warming, to hot, global warming, no rain, global warming, to much rain, global warming. No storms, global warming, to many storms, global warming.

Your car didn't start today, GLOBAL WARMING. Any and every weather condition is Global warming. Any and every weather pattern, Global Warming. EVERYTHING is cause of Global Warming. Makes it so much easier to keep claiming Global Warming when you get to claim EVERY SINGLE event, EVERY effect, EVERY weather pattern or condition is, well Global Warming.

Pertty much, environuts are no different than the "god dun it" people, just a different imaginary thing.

Actually, if you can think it through, RGS, of course climate causes weather.

Or, if you want to think just a bit more deeply, you'll realize that all the today's weather combined causes what we call the climate.

They're inseperable manifestations of the same thing, really.

No less than your life of today is the sum total of all your yesterdays.

And you of tomorrow will be the sum total of all your days before yesterday PLUS yesterday.

duh!

No... think of climate change as an uncontrolled experiment - so it might get really warm, really fast, it might just make weather far less predictable, more extreme - or far colder... we'll see.

I unfortunately think the leadership of some nations wants climate change... more strife, war, security, more power in the hands of those who are 'strong' etc. Less undesirables in those poor third world nations... albeit a racist and shitty version of the future IMO, but look at actions not words and you might just agree.

Pertty much, environuts are no different than the "god dun it" people, just a different imaginary thing.

Those damn legions of scientists and their dumb, evidence based theories! When will they learn to just "assume the best" like smart people?

There is another myth, no one is assuming the best when we speak out against the environuts. We are just trying to get the real science heard more so perhaps when they find out we can't change it ... we may have the technology to at least survive it.

ugh....everytime there's a cold day or a snowstorm, it gives global warming deniers impetus to advance their, well, denials.

The climate is warming slowly. It's not supposed to be overnight. Scientists anticipate at least a 2 degree (Celsius) jump for the average global temperature by the second half of this century, but it could be far more than that. It's an urgent problem, but it doesn't mean that winter is over yet. Cold days and snow storms still happen for the time being, but if you keep track of the amount of days (per year) when the daytime high never reaches above freezing point (32 F) -in places where winter temperatures are supposed to almost always be below freezing point, like most of the northern USA- you'll probably notice that number of freezing days dwindling over the years. That's certainly what's happening here in Chicago, where I live. We still get snow and bitter cold days, but the number of days below freezing point is fewer than what I remember growing up. This season, we had a pretty normal December and January, with cold days and ample snow, but February this year has been unseasonably warm. And I'm not talking about a few days here or there; I'm talking about the entire month of February. Right now, as we speak, it feels like early spring outside. It feels like it's the last week of March. Yesterday I didn't need a jacket in the afternoon; it's not supposed to be like this for at least another month. And back in the fall, the leaves started changing colors later than normal. For about 2 years in a row, October felt more like September, and November felt more like October. But you know, when warm winter days like this occur (and they occur more and more often), the global warming deniers go into hiding. But when a snow storm hits the news, then all the deniers have a party, and go on their usual evirosceptic rampage. But where are all the deniers on a warm day like today? The sad reality is that according to NASA, the ten warmest years on record as of January 2008 had all ocurred after 1998. Yikes! But leave it to global warming deniers to downplay science and go into hiding on warm days like today.

There's a lot of industries out there tied to fossil fuels who have hired the same PR folks who were employed in the 1980s to deny the negative health effects of smoking. These PR firms are now working hard to mislead the public; they're trying to create the impression that scientists are in disagreement with each other global warming and its causes, and they're also trying to create the impression that evidence used by scientists is murky. Don't fall for this bullshit, folks. You might come across some news articles that present "new evidence" suggesting that global warming may not be happening, but know that these sceptic articles are fabricated by the PR firms, and not a single sceptic article has ever been published in a scientific peer-reviewed journal.

Last edited:
Every time? Cold DAY? I am talking about a cooling trend that we have been experiencing in winter, though in summer it's pretty much been a toss up. Seattle isn't even the only city encountering it, nor is Western Washington the only region in the US. Again, no one has denied that pollution is bad, it is you who are completely ignoring what the real arguments are and instead just claiming that everyone else is simply denying your science. Go back to reading.

Forum List

Back