Where Would You Relocate for a Job?

I personally would move to the smallest town possible and get to know the people there and their local farming coop. :D

but if it had to be a city, and i had all the money in the world, and I was not afraid of terrorism hitting again, it would be New York City, but Boston would be a close second.

I have stayed or lived in New York, philadelphia, Miami, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, St pete, little Rock, Dallas, Daytona, Jacksonville, Naples, Ft Meyers, Boston, portland maine, Los Angelos, San Francisco, Mobile, New Orleans, Atlanta, Kansas City, St louis, Madison, Milwalkee, minniapolis, Chicago, Memphis, Raleigh, Charlotte, Washington DC, and a few more that i believe i am missing...but New York, with a ton of money and some other dream scenarios, would be my pick.

oh, yeah and Baltimore too

how long in each place? do you consider stop overs as living as in permanent residence?

NYC is a great place to visit. I've lived there for a few years and was very close with native New Yorkers the whole time. I rarely spent time with the outsiders/transplants. NYC is close to other areas that are more reasonable to live in. NYC, dirt, noise, filth, crime, hassle...it can be thrilling if you are easily bored.

NYC, especially the borough of Manhattan is a place people with money live in yet have other homes to go to for rest and sanity. think about it...many of the moneyed people I dealt with went away on weekends whenever possible or they went away whenever there was a weekend without an event or happening they DID NOT have to go to.

they left the city to the plebes for many NYC is status and convenience to $$$$$$ and reputation.

Last edited:
how long in each place? do you consider stop overs as living as in permanent residence?

NYC is a great place to visit. I've lived there for a few years and was very close with native New Yorkers the whole time. I rarely spent time with the outsiders/transplants. NYC is close to other areas that are more reasonable to live in. NYC, dirt, noise, filth, crime, hassle...it can be thrilling if you are easily bored.

NYC, especially the borough of Manhattan is a place people with money live in yet have other homes to go to for rest and sanity. think about it...many of the moneyed people I dealt with went away on weekends whenever possible or they went away whenever there was a weekend without an event or happening they DID NOT have to go to.

they left the city to the plebes for many NYC is status and convenience to $$$$$$ and reputation.

lived in or stayed at for at least a few days to a week....and many of them have been repeat visits due to work.

I lived in new york...Brooklyn, during a part of 1st grade ps 205, 3rd grade ps 48, 8th grade, seth lo jr high, 9th grade and part of 10th at new utrecht hs....

Then i just liked it....

It wasn't until I was in to my career and frequented Manhatten 4 times at least... a year, 10 days at a time, for "market" did i Fall in love with nyc.

And yes, if i had the money to live in a high rise with a view of Central Park, and every Deli or restaurant or play or concert available along with Macy's on 34th, and Neiman's and every store imaginable at my fingertips, I would live there in a heartbeat, but as you said, i would keep my cottage here in Maine for my weekends or summer vacays....

i lived in Tampa, St Pete, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Atlantic City on the outskirts, new york, boston in the burbs, Mobile, Pensacola, Myrtle Beach, Springfield-Mass..., may as well have lived in Philadelphia where all the related sports teams were and concerts etc...so always there..., Alexandria louisianna, Bilouxi missisipp....

Dallas, Denver/.Colorado Springs, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Naples, Ft Myers, Jacksonville, Daytona, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Little Rock, Madison, Milwalkee, Chicago, minniapolis, Charlotte, Raleigh,Phoenix/Scottsdale and some more ALL on business and all many more times than once....the others I vacationed there... oh that reminds me...i was in Honolulu as well...

my dad was in the air force so i moved alot in my youth and when grown up, i continued to travel....i enjoy exploring new places.

Care

lived in or stayed at for at least a few days to a week....and many of them have been repeat visits due to work.

I lived in new york...Brooklyn, during a part of 1st grade ps 205, 3rd grade ps 48, 8th grade, seth lo jr high, 9th grade and part of 10th at new utrecht hs....

Then i just liked it....

It wasn't until I was in to my career and frequented Manhatten 4 times at least... a year, 10 days at a time, for "market" did i Fall in love with nyc.

And yes, if i had the money to live in a high rise with a view of Central Park, and every Deli or restaurant or play or concert available along with Macy's on 34th, and Neiman's and every store imaginable at my fingertips, I would live there in a heartbeat, but as you said, i would keep my cottage here in Maine for my weekends or summer vacays....

i lived in Tampa, St Pete, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Atlantic City on the outskirts, new york, boston in the burbs, Mobile, Pensacola, Myrtle Beach, Springfield-Mass..., may as well have lived in Philadelphia where all the related sports teams were and concerts etc...so always there..., Alexandria louisianna, Bilouxi missisipp....

Dallas, Denver/.Colorado Springs, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Naples, Ft Myers, Jacksonville, Daytona, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Little Rock, Madison, Milwalkee, Chicago, minniapolis, Charlotte, Raleigh,Phoenix/Scottsdale and some more ALL on business and all many more times than once....the others I vacationed there... oh that reminds me...i was in Honolulu as well...

my dad was in the air force so i moved alot in my youth and when grown up, i continued to travel....i enjoy exploring new places.

Care
very interesting. can you tell me what you think about California?

Both.

I was astounded when I lived in SoCA to discover that the water off the coast was colder in July than it was in New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

Of course up here in Midcoast Maine the water is always too damned cold...much like SoCA.

The pacific off the western coast of the US is the coldes water in the world for swimming.

I was raised in a coastal town in the middle of the coast of Oregon. Even in the summer it's freezing. Over the last few years there have come to be a few diehards who for some unknown reason like to "surf" with the rip tides and the rocks and the crazy undertow..but they don't do it without wet suits and they don't do it for very long at a time.

I loved living in SLC. I had a great job with the PD in SLC and tons of friends. I miss the mountains, A LOT. But, I didn't want to raise kids as minorities in that particular culture. I didn't think it would be good for them. When my kids are grown, though, I'd have no problem going back there.

really, hmm well I suppose since it has hardly any crime compared to other cities, I always leave my house unlocked and car unlocked and never worry like I would if I was in chicago. So that is true there are good parts about it. Its a clean living environment. But The overwhelming mormon control is too hard for me to take. I just don't know where Im going to end up movingto by next fall. I dont know what place will fit best for me.:doubt:

really, hmm well I suppose since it has hardly any crime compared to other cities, I always leave my house unlocked and car unlocked and never worry like I would if I was in chicago. So that is true there are good parts about it. Its a clean living environment. But The overwhelming mormon control is too hard for me to take. I just don't know where Im going to end up movingto by next fall. I dont know what place will fit best for me.:doubt:

The curse of freedom.

The curse of freedom.

True. If it was just me I guess I would move anywhere, but I have two daughters and so I dont want to relocate to a very dangerous city otherwise i'd get an ulcer from worry .

Forum List

Back