Where were you on 9/11, what do you remember

teapartysamurai

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2010
Where were you?

If you are like me. You will remember that day very clearly. I still do.

Tell us your story.

I was working in my office in Brussels. The first I knew about it was when my wife called me from Washington DC to tell me she was fine and all hell had broken loose there. I immediately switched on the TV and saw the first tower collapse (and everything after that).

Got to work, turned on radio after about a half hour, heard the news, let out a big F! Went next door to city hall and there sat the clerk white as a ghost. The whole town was eerily quiet. Got the kid out of school, went home watched TV rest of the day. Passing over the interstate, I noticed a state cop car on every median.
Carried a pistol in my briefcase for about a month.

I was sound asleep in Fairbanks. My husband woke me and told me to look at the TV. I thought I was seeing a die hard movie. Groggy and had to pee so I went into the bathroom and that's when he said "There are people jumping from those building."

I actually had 9/11 circled on my calendar a month. I had been looking for a pre-school for my then 4 year old. Her first day of pre-school was 9/11/2001.

That day she was so excited. I got her all dressed up for her first day and took her to McDonald's to breakfast.

While in line to get breakfast, I happened to turn on the radio and heard about the first plane hitting the towers. At the time, the first reports were, it was a small two engine plane.

When I got her to pre-school, I told her teacher, about the first plane hitting. She didn't see too concerned and told me it was just a small plane.

When I got back to the car, I turned back on the radio and heard about the 2nd plane hitting. Then I realized this was not an accident.

I was then afraid to leave my four year old, and spent the next two hours sitting in that church parking lot, alone, and crying as I listened to the radio.

When I heard about the plane crashing in Pennsylvania, I thought, "Oh my Lord that's only a state away. Oh my God, the Schools!"

That was when I pannicked. I walked into the pre-school, announced I was taking my daughter home and drove straight out to the Middle School, where my then 11 year old was attending classes.

I signed her out to go home. I began to feel foolish that I didn't need to take her home, but when I got to the hall, I was told to wait, I wasn't the only parent waiting to take their children home.

When my oldest got out, she was crying. They had told her it was a family emergency and she thought the youngest must have got hurt in pre-school. She came out asking if the youngest was all right.

I was like, "They haven't told you what's happened? We are under attack!"

I took the kids home. Within a few minutes my husband was on the phone.

"Are the kids home?"

"Yes," I answered, "Don't worry, I have the kids home.

"Stay home!" He sounded a bit pannicked himself. "Don't go ANYWHERE! All hell is breaking loose here. They are trying to turn the wells off at the source!" And he hung up without another word.

My husband worked for the gas company (at the time). And I thought, "Oh my Lord the gas wells!"

Ohio practically sits on one big gas well. And I thought, what would happen if a plane hit one of the gas wells."

Apparently, that's what Columbia Gas thought as well.

And so the day went on. Every few minutes I would get a phone call, that would ask "Are the kids home?" Right off the bat.

People were crying on the phone when they called.

That night the 11 year old was so frightened that a plane would hit the condo, that we all slept on the floor in the living room, so she wouldn't be so scared.

Last edited:
it was a lovely, sunny fallish day....i was painting the ends of boards so they would not check....my husband called and ask what i was doing.....i told him....he told me a plane had hit the world trade center...i was going on about how the hell could that happen....when he told me to go in and turn the tv on...that it was terrorists....the rest of the morning i was like most of america...watching it on live tv...then we drove to the red cross center in johnson city to donate blood....we were turned away...there were already 100's in line...

I was in my girlfriend's (at the time) shop.
They sold seriously fancy TVs so, when I saw the damage to the first tower, I turned loads on with as many different channels as I could find.
I saw the second jet go in, live.

Got to work, turned on radio after about a half hour, heard the news, let out a big F! Went next door to city hall and there sat the clerk white as a ghost. The whole town was eerily quiet. Got the kid out of school, went home watched TV rest of the day. Passing over the interstate, I noticed a state cop car on every median.
Carried a pistol in my briefcase for about a month.

The next day, I asked my husband, "Do we send the kids to school?" I was afraid to let them go.

But my husband and I both decided. "If they don't go, we let the terrorists win."

When I went to pick my kid up from Middle School that afternoon, the sight that greeted me, I will never forget.

The cop, assigned to the school, was standing in the driveway leading up to the school.

I don't know how long he had been standing there. It looked like he might have been standing like that all day.

He had his legs spread, his jacket back, and his hand on his weapon. Just standing there motionless.

Never moved a hair, the whole time I watched him.

It was obvious he was saying, "You are getting to these kids through me."

I felt so proud, as I watched him. It makes me feel like crying just remembering him.

I thought, "We were scared yesterday. We aren't scared now. We are angry, and we are going to be coming for the bastards who did this!"

I will never forget it.

Last edited:
it was a lovely, sunny fallish day....i was painting the ends of boards so they would not check....my husband called and ask what i was doing.....i told him....he told me a plane had hit the world trade center...i was going on about how the hell could that happen....when he told me to go in and turn the tv on...that it was terrorists....the rest of the morning i was like most of america...watching it on live tv...then we drove to the red cross center in johnson city to donate blood....we were turned away...there were already 100's in line...

My youngest sister lives in Oklahoma. When the Oklahoma City bombing happened, she attempted to drive to OK City to donate blood.

There were so many people doing the same thing, they turned her away and Ada and told her to go home. There were more people donating blood than they could handle.

That's the kind of country we have! Something to be proud of.

I was working at my 1st 'tech' job, training people to use my company's software via video chat. I was trying to call a client for a scheduled training session, and getting one of those fast busy signals... like an 'all circuits are busy' kind of thing.

My client worked on the 85 floor of Tower 2.

As fate would have it, he did not go to work that day and was not present when the attacks occurred.

and on 9/12 we stood as one.......

but we wasted it....we wasted the support of the world by attacking iraq

BS, and that is not what this thread is about, talking about wasting.

Your "waste" is just a comment that you didn't get your political way. Grow up.

I was working at my 1st 'tech' job, training people to use my company's software via video chat. I was trying to call a client for a scheduled training session, and getting one of those fast busy signals... like an 'all circuits are busy' kind of thing.

As fate would have it, he did not go to work that day and was not present when the attacks occurred.

Oh Thank God! I was afraid you were going to tell me, he didn't make it out. Whew!

I was pregnant with my second child and had just dropped my first off at the base daycare. All I could think about was getting to him and holding him. Then my thoughts were with my good friends that worked in DC and the NYC cops I got to know when I was stationed there...

I was in my girlfriend's (at the time) shop.
They sold seriously fancy TVs so, when I saw the damage to the first tower, I turned loads on with as many different channels as I could find.
I saw the second jet go in, live.

I first saw that later in the day on the news. Until the voice-over started explaining, I thought it was a cgi type of thing. I cried.

I was at home and my office called me, told me to turn on the TV. I was glued to the television for the next three or four hours, saw the second plane hit and the towers fall. It was heart wrenching. Finally made it to work and watched the rest of the day.

Our office is in the flight path of Atlanta Airport, I stepped outside and was struck how eerily silent the sky was.

Last edited:
I got up early and went to Cox Cable to see about changing my plan.

As I walked in I noticed everyone including the employees watch something on several big screen TV's mounted on the wall. Every TV was on the same channel and there was a very tall building on fire.

About that time I saw a jet airliner smash into the second building and a collective gasp went out from the group of on lookers in the store.

Then one man broke the silence and said, "They have done it again!"

Instantly, I knew this was going to be serious stuff. I had just converted to Islam exactly 4 months to the day. And had no idea how much this event was going to affect my life for the next several years.

I was at a McDonalds by my High School eating breakfast, there was always this crazy lady there that lived in the apartments behind the McDonalds.. She walked into the place screaming about the capital is on fire, they immediately removed her.

Everyone thought she had finally lost it.

I got a phone call like 10 minuets later from my father telling me about what happened..

Pretty crazy stuff.

Yeah, and remember that the Emergency Broadcast System didn't go off?

I remember people asking the next day, "Why hadn't the Emergency Broadcast System, deploy? We have been hearing those drills on TV our whole lives?"

As fate would have it, the antenae's and all that stuff for the Emergency Broadcast system. Was one the roof of one of the towers and was destroyed along with the tower.

That's why it never deployed!

I was right there standing outside the WTC waiting for the guy I work with to get off the subway just as the 1st plane hit. I prefer not to discuss the rest of that day other than to say it was a day I will never forget.

When people like jillian calls those memorializing it...wallowing...I'd like to piss on her. That's all she deserves. She can shut her radio or T.V. off, while shutting her ignorant mouth as well.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back