Where were you on 9/11, what do you remember

Discussion in 'Politics' started by teapartysamurai, Sep 11, 2012.

1. teapartysamurai

teapartysamurai Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    Where were you?

If you are like me. You will remember that day very clearly. I still do.

Tell us your story.

2. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I was working in my office in Brussels. The first I knew about it was when my wife called me from Washington DC to tell me she was fine and all hell had broken loose there. I immediately switched on the TV and saw the first tower collapse (and everything after that).

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,413
    Got to work, turned on radio after about a half hour, heard the news, let out a big F! Went next door to city hall and there sat the clerk white as a ghost. The whole town was eerily quiet. Got the kid out of school, went home watched TV rest of the day. Passing over the interstate, I noticed a state cop car on every median.
    Carried a pistol in my briefcase for about a month.

4. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,746
    I was sound asleep in Fairbanks. My husband woke me and told me to look at the TV. I thought I was seeing a die hard movie. Groggy and had to pee so I went into the bathroom and that's when he said "There are people jumping from those building."

5. teapartysamurai

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    I actually had 9/11 circled on my calendar a month. I had been looking for a pre-school for my then 4 year old. Her first day of pre-school was 9/11/2001.

That day she was so excited. I got her all dressed up for her first day and took her to McDonald's to breakfast.

While in line to get breakfast, I happened to turn on the radio and heard about the first plane hitting the towers. At the time, the first reports were, it was a small two engine plane.

When I got her to pre-school, I told her teacher, about the first plane hitting. She didn't see too concerned and told me it was just a small plane.

When I got back to the car, I turned back on the radio and heard about the 2nd plane hitting. Then I realized this was not an accident.

I was then afraid to leave my four year old, and spent the next two hours sitting in that church parking lot, alone, and crying as I listened to the radio.

When I heard about the plane crashing in Pennsylvania, I thought, "Oh my Lord that's only a state away. Oh my God, the Schools!"

That was when I pannicked. I walked into the pre-school, announced I was taking my daughter home and drove straight out to the Middle School, where my then 11 year old was attending classes.

I signed her out to go home. I began to feel foolish that I didn't need to take her home, but when I got to the hall, I was told to wait, I wasn't the only parent waiting to take their children home.

When my oldest got out, she was crying. They had told her it was a family emergency and she thought the youngest must have got hurt in pre-school. She came out asking if the youngest was all right.

I was like, "They haven't told you what's happened? We are under attack!"

I took the kids home. Within a few minutes my husband was on the phone.

"Are the kids home?"

"Yes," I answered, "Don't worry, I have the kids home.

"Stay home!" He sounded a bit pannicked himself. "Don't go ANYWHERE! All hell is breaking loose here. They are trying to turn the wells off at the source!" And he hung up without another word.

My husband worked for the gas company (at the time). And I thought, "Oh my Lord the gas wells!"

Ohio practically sits on one big gas well. And I thought, what would happen if a plane hit one of the gas wells."

Apparently, that's what Columbia Gas thought as well.

And so the day went on. Every few minutes I would get a phone call, that would ask "Are the kids home?" Right off the bat.

People were crying on the phone when they called.

That night the 11 year old was so frightened that a plane would hit the condo, that we all slept on the floor in the living room, so she wouldn't be so scared.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    it was a lovely, sunny fallish day....i was painting the ends of boards so they would not check....my husband called and ask what i was doing.....i told him....he told me a plane had hit the world trade center...i was going on about how the hell could that happen....when he told me to go in and turn the tv on...that it was terrorists....the rest of the morning i was like most of america...watching it on live tv...then we drove to the red cross center in johnson city to donate blood....we were turned away...there were already 100's in line...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Indofred

Indofred Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I was in my girlfriend's (at the time) shop.
    They sold seriously fancy TVs so, when I saw the damage to the first tower, I turned loads on with as many different channels as I could find.
    I saw the second jet go in, live.

8. teapartysamurai

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    The next day, I asked my husband, "Do we send the kids to school?" I was afraid to let them go.

But my husband and I both decided. "If they don't go, we let the terrorists win."

When I went to pick my kid up from Middle School that afternoon, the sight that greeted me, I will never forget.

The cop, assigned to the school, was standing in the driveway leading up to the school.

I don't know how long he had been standing there. It looked like he might have been standing like that all day.

He had his legs spread, his jacket back, and his hand on his weapon. Just standing there motionless.

Never moved a hair, the whole time I watched him.

It was obvious he was saying, "You are getting to these kids through me."

I felt so proud, as I watched him. It makes me feel like crying just remembering him.

I thought, "We were scared yesterday. We aren't scared now. We are angry, and we are going to be coming for the bastards who did this!"

I will never forget it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  9. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    and on 9/12 we stood as one.......

but we wasted it....we wasted the support of the world by attacking iraq

10. teapartysamurai

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,872
    My youngest sister lives in Oklahoma. When the Oklahoma City bombing happened, she attempted to drive to OK City to donate blood.

There were so many people doing the same thing, they turned her away and Ada and told her to go home. There were more people donating blood than they could handle.

That's the kind of country we have! Something to be proud of.