Where were you ... in '72?

Best of all, in 72, my father was still alive. I hated him then, or feared him rather. He was like Archie Bunker. He didn't hate anyone, actually. He despised fascism and took a bullet fighting the fascist BASTARDS. The zeitgeist of that time is all gone. Hey hey ho! LBJ has got to GO!

Anyone remember Tulagis in Boulder? Or KTCL AM or the old KBPI FM free form music on the FM side? Hendrix mixed with a little Beethoven.

Last edited:
Where was I in 1972? In a far, far better world. Billy, if you like ELP, you ought to hear them on a $200,000 stereo! We just lost Keith and Greg last year. Several years ago I got to see Keith play his organ, one of his last concerts in a small theater from only 15 feet away and got to speak with him and shake his hand after the concert.

View attachment 188041
Best ELP song live!]

ELP had something like ten "best songs!" An unprecedented super group with a keyboardist as a front man in an only 3 man group---- imagine hearing them over a 5-way quad-amped 9 speaker system with 7 amplifiers containing 3,000 watts?! One of the best drummers ever combined with one of the best bassists, lyricists and vocalists of all time, combined with one of the most innovative keyboardists to ever live---- a man who could have been a noted concert pianist instead who took up hard rock as a mad man behind a wall of knobs and wires and discreet transistors literally hand wiring his sound as he played his steaming, churning organ as he rocked and banged it back and forth on the floor to get the sounds he wanted.

Above me is a mirror emblazoned with "ELP', so help me, I hang on to that because one day it might be worth a lot of money on Antiques road show. And besides, I love Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Oh Jerusalem! England that green and pleasant land...

ELP had something like ten "best songs!" An unprecedented super group with a keyboardist as a front man in an only 3 man group---- imagine hearing them over a 5-way quad-amped 9 speaker system with 7 amplifiers containing 3,000 watts?! One of the best drummers ever combined with one of the best bassists, lyricists and vocalists of all time, combined with one of the most innovative keyboardists to ever live---- a man who could have been a noted concert pianist instead who took up hard rock as a mad man behind a wall of knobs and wires and discreet transistors literally hand wiring his sound as he played his steaming, churning organ as he rocked and banged it back and forth on the floor to get the sounds he wanted.
I saw ELP in concert from the front row of the Long Beach Arena. They were good. They were also loud.

I missed seeing them at the California Jam in '74. That was the one where Emerson strapped himself in to a grand piano that was hoisted 20 feet above the stage, then played it as it was spinning like a clock. Now that was something.

In 1972, you could usually find me parked along side a seldom-travelled road in the parent's Chevy late at night entertaining company.....or being entertained.

It's a wonder we somehow avoided pregnancy.

As far as shows, the best by far was seeing Yes in San Francisco. The windowpane was especially good, too.

By 1972 I was totally in love with Carly Simon's voice, music, smile and undeniable sex appeal.

On July 25, 1972 at about 10PM, I was front row at Madison Sq. Garden witnessing The World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band opening the show with this exact performance of Brown Sugar.

Two months later on September 11, 1972, again I was front row witnessing The Faces perform at New York City's Madison Sq. Garden.

This performance isn't from the MSG concert I attended, though the music and the band's charm are identical the the live show I witnessed in 1972.

I did not have front row seats for either performance, though at that time thanks MSG's corral-less seating plan, it wasn't that difficult moving toward the stage and blending in with my music loving brothers and sisters dancing and having a great time.

Honestly, to this day I continue believing these are the best live performances I ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

If anyone has a working 'time machine' please send me a PM. :)

Peace.

Forum List

Back