Where was the Media during Resignations under Clinton's Administration?

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Secretary of State: Warren Christopher

Secretary of the Treasury: Lloyd Bentsen, Robert Rubin

Secretary of Defense: Les Aspin, William Perry

Secretary of Agriculture: Mike Espy

Secretary of Commerce: Ronald H. Brown, Mickey Kantor, William M. Daley

Secretary of Labor: Robert Reich

Secretary of Housing and urban Development: Henry G. Cisneros

Secretary of Transportation: Federico F. Pena

Secretary of Energy: Hazel R. O’Leary, Frederico F. Pena

Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs: Jesse Brown

Oh please... the media had a field day with Clinton. They were too busy writing stories about investigations that led no where and blue dresses to be bothered about people leaving.

Plus, Clinton's administration never had the basement level approval-ratings that Bush's does, so didn't need housecleaning....Bush is desperately attempting to get things together....and it's the rapid-fire succession of resignations that gets the attention.

now if he'd just replace the one person who needs to be replaced....

BTW, a change of 10 people in 8 years is pretty good turnover when spaced over two terms.

dmp said:
The media was much easier on clinton; should be a no-brainer

If you think that, perhaps you don't remember the press' purient delight in what was going on. Perhaps they just didn't rag on his intellect as much because he was smarter? ;)

Laterz!

jillian said:
Oh please... the media had a field day with Clinton. They were too busy writing stories about investigations that led no where and blue dresses to be bothered about people leaving.

Plus, Clinton's administration never had the basement level approval-ratings that Bush's does, so didn't need housecleaning....Bush is desperately attempting to get things together....and it's the rapid-fire succession of resignations that gets the attention.

now if he'd just replace the one person who needs to be replaced....

BTW, a change of 10 people in 8 years is pretty good turnover when spaced over two terms.

It says something that the media was too busy investigating the illegal activities of the Clinton Administration to report on something as frivolous as the resignations of a Chief of Staff and a Press Secretary. Republicans should be proud that the press has time to actually make this a story.

jillian said:
If you think that, perhaps you don't remember the press' purient delight in what was going on. Perhaps they just didn't rag on his intellect as much because he was smarter? ;)

Laterz!

I remember the Clinton Years very well, as I was under his command - better than being under his desk. Those years it was if the press begrudgingly reported on his ties to murder and theft and other bad things.

:sleep: 2,000 days later and assholes are STILL TALKING about Bubba.

:gross2:

McClellan Out as White House Press Secretary
Karl Rove Gives Up Policy Oversight to Focus on 2006 Elections

By Fred Barbash, Peter Baker and Jim VandeHei
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, April 19, 2006; 12:42 PM

Karl Rove, the president's most influential adviser and a dominant force in the Bush administration since its beginning, surrendered key policy responsibilities today while press secretary Scott McClellan announced his resignation.

Both moves were part of the makeover promised earlier this week by a White House seeking to reverse sagging public opinion ratings.

Rove will remain deputy chief of staff to President Bush, but he will drop his portfolio as policy coordinator -- a job he assumed a year ago -- and once again concentrate his focus on broader strategy and politics as the 2006 mid-term elections approach, the White House announced.

The Bush administration's standing in the polls has plummeted to new lows in recent weeks as the war in Iraq has dragged on with little visible progress toward the formation of a new government in Baghdad. The Republican Party's standing has suffered as well, according to polling, at the worst possible time. With elections just seven months away, Republicans are being buffeted by ethics scandals and general dissatisfaction with the incumbent party's capacity to govern. Much of the pressure for a shakeup has come from congressional Republicans.

The moves followed a declaration Monday by Joshua B. Bolten, the new chief of staff, that any administration official considering leaving should do so sooner rather than later. Further change is expected shortly with most attention focused on replacing Treasury Secretary John W. Snow.

Bolten will replace Rove with Joel Kaplan, a trusted aide from the Office of Management and Budget, which Bolten headed until a few days ago. Bush yesterday announced Rob Portman's nomination as OMB chief. Joseph W Hagin, the other deputy chief of staff, also turns over his policy management duties to Kaplan but remains deputy for operations.

"Karl will continue to serve as the deputy chief of staff and senior adviser," said deputy White House press secretary Ken Lisaius. "What's going to happen is Joel will come in to manage the daily policy process and that will leave Karl more time to focus on truly strategic planning at a critical time for the presidency."

McClellan is the most visible face of the White House after the president himself since he presides over the increasingly contentious daily briefings that have become common fare not only on C-SPAN but on the late night humor shows.

Since the perjury indictment of vice presidential aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, the briefings have featured many more angry questions from some reporters who feel they were misled by McClellan on White House involvement in a series of leaks on pre-war evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

McClellan's resignation was not unexpected. Bush stood next to McClellan, a long time Texas associate, as the resignation was announced on the White House South Lawn just before the president left for a trip to Alabama. "I thought he handled his assignment with class, integrity," the president said. "It's going to be hard to replace Scott, but nevertheless he made the decision and I accepted it. One of these days, he and I are going to be rocking in chairs in Texas and talking about the good old days."

McClellan told Bush: "I have given it my all, sir, and I have given you my all, sir, and I will continue to do so as we transition to a new press secretary."

No replacement has been named yet for McClellan.

Earlier today, Bush returned to the vexing situation in Iraq, saying he was concerned about a dangerous "vacuum" there. He prodded once again Iraq's political leadership to put a "government in place" soon.

"We fully recognize that the Iraqis must step up and form a unity government, so that those who went to the polls to vote recognize that a government will be in place to respond to their needs. . . . "We also recognize that vacuums in the political process create opportunity for malfeasance and harm," he said.

Bush commented after meeting with four governors who recently returned from a trip to Iraq. The governors included Jeb Bush, Republican of Florida and the president's brother; Tom Vilsack, Democrat of Iowa; Mitch Daniels, Republican of Indiana and former director of the White House budget office; and Joe Manchin III, Democrat of West Virginia.

Four months of haggling among Iraqi politicians have now passed since the country went to the polls to choose elected representatives, who were, in turn, supposed to choose a government.

The 275-member assembly had been scheduled to meet Monday but agreed to a delay so that Shiites could resolve the continuing dispute over who will be prime minister.

:chains:

dmp said:
I remember the Clinton Years very well, as I was under his command - better than being under his desk. Those years it was if the press begrudgingly reported on his ties to murder and theft and other bad things.

Then you'd also remember that Ken Starr went over everything with a fine tooth comb and cost the taxspayers a fortune...and came up empty except for a blue dress. The reason, perhaps that the "press begrudgingly reported on his ties to murder and theft and other bad things" is that they were unfounded?

I don't much care who was under his desk. As long as it wasn't me, I figure it was between him and his wife.

jillian said:
Then you'd also remember that Ken Starr went over everything with a fine tooth comb and cost the taxspayers a fortune...and came up empty except for a blue dress. The reason, perhaps that the "press begrudgingly reported on his ties to murder and theft and other bad things" is that they were unfounded?

I don't much care who was under his desk. As long as it wasn't me, I figure it was between him and his wife.

except ken starr is not the media...even while covering 'Starr' the media painted his efforts as 'grasping at straws' by "The Republicans".

jillian said:

Not exactly:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...eas&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=firefox-a

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ers&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

jillian said:

This is where you are wrong. When a President commits adultery, it is between him and the electorate that put their faith in him as Commander-in-Chief. What does the UCMJ say about having sexual relations with someone under your direct command. How many military officers were brought up on Article 32 for having sexual relations with someone under their command? Shouldn't the Commander-in-Chief be held to the same standards? He should have been investigated and brought up on charges. It would have meant that the military would have to salute President Al Gore, but it would have legally prudent.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp

Forum List

Back