Where to eat in NYC

Luigi's Restaurant and Pizzeria, 910 Eighth Ave, New York 10019.
Forgetabout Ray''s, at Luigi's you can pick up the pizza by the cheese and it will slowly give in to gravity.
I've gone to NY twice with my sons on baseball trips and each time they insisted we eat a Luigi's (one one trip we went three nights in a row).
I learned of Luigi's on a bus from a life-long New Yorker on her way to work at Macy's. She raved about the food and the pizza. She was spot on.

A surprise was Mickey Mantles. Located on Central Park South just west of 5th ave one might think it's over priced and touristy. Not. Good food, great ambiance and fair prices.

Another time I stayed in Brooklyn, attending a conference with our grantee partners. Since some had never been to NY we rented a limo and saw the sights. When our time expired we asked to be let off at Grand Central Station and ate diner there. Kinda cool, but expensive.

The first time I visited NY was with my wife and we discovered and ate at a greek restaurant on 8th ave, somewhere in the low 50's or the 40's. Real good and reasonable. And, if your want a great corned beef or pastrami, check out the State Door. I blieve if was on Broadway.

Luigi's Restaurant and Pizzeria, 910 Eighth Ave, New York 10019.
Forgetabout Ray''s, at Luigi's you can pick up the pizza by the cheese and it will slowly give in to gravity.
I've gone to NY twice with my sons on baseball trips and each time they insisted we eat a Luigi's (one one trip we went three nights in a row).
I learned of Luigi's on a bus from a life-long New Yorker on her way to work at Macy's. She raved about the food and the pizza. She was spot on.

A surprise was Mickey Mantles. Located on Central Park South just west of 5th ave one might think it's over priced and touristy. Not. Good food, great ambiance and fair prices.

Another time I stayed in Brooklyn, attending a conference with our grantee partners. Since some had never been to NY we rented a limo and saw the sights. When our time expired we asked to be let off at Grand Central Station and ate diner there. Kinda cool, but expensive.

The first time I visited NY was with my wife and we discovered and ate at a greek restaurant on 8th ave, somewhere in the low 50's or the 40's. Real good and reasonable. And, if your want a great corned beef or pastrami, check out the State Door. I blieve if was on Broadway.

I LOVE stage deli! :)

I don't know if it's still there but my favorite bistro in Brooklyn (Heights) was Monte's on Montague Street. Cozy, dim amber lighting, mahogany and copper decor. The front is a small bar, only six booths in the rear and the Italian food is exceptionally good. Patio dining out back during summer.

Monte's (was) a watering hole for such Press luminaries as Pete Hamill, Jimmy Breslin, Dan O'Malley, et. al. One quiet, snowy night back in the seventies I got into a two hour bar conversation with Norman Mailer, who lived around the corner on Pierrepont Street and frequented Monte's.

Great place. A little pricey but worth it.

Jillian suggested Il Tinello's when I was in Manhattan in 08. I had the swordfish with capers and a lemon butter sauce and the house cab. I have to place this restaurant in my top five of fine dining from my travels across the US. It was great. I split a desert that they made at my table, with my wife. Great experience.

So many good steakhouses.

Peter Lugar's in Brooklyn is awesome. The bacon was amazing.

I know this is bad....but ive never gotten into exploring the boroughs. :eek:

Thanks for the tip i will look the up :)

outerboroughs? ah... some great places... smith street in brooklyn has everything, well, except for nathan's in coney island and the best pizza in ny... but if you're in the city, prolly easier to eat in manhattan.

The outer boroughs are for ethnic food. Authentic ethnic food. There are some nice restaurants, but nothing you can't get in Mahattan (ie "the city")

Chinatown is not what it used to be. Neither is Little Italy. The boroughs, particularly Brooklyn and Queens are chock full of ethnic restaurants. Try the Chinatown in Sunset Park (BK) or MidEast cuisine on Atlantic Ave, or Italian food from the the Bronx. There's even a Norwegian encave in Bay Ridge

So many good steakhouses.

Peter Lugar's in Brooklyn is awesome. The bacon was amazing.

Going for my 50th next month..

Peter Luger Steakhouse

Go to the Brooklyn Location for the "real" experience.

Crusty old waiters, extremely old furniture...amazing steaks.

but no filet mignon. :confused:

great creamed spinach, though.

Lugar's is like a guy place... I love Sparks in the city and Dino and Harrys in Hoboken.

Forum List

Back