Where some of our gas money went

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California

Dubai became part of the United Arab Emirates at its founding in 1971.
dubai encyclopedia topics | Reference.com

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Dubai last year

-More-
Eye On The World: Something you should ponder as you pump gas into your car

WOW! Looks like they did a great job. Maybe I'll vacation there someday, looks like Vegas. I wonder what tourist attractions they have? Do they allow gambling and alcohol in Dubai?

(I realize that wasn't the answer you were looking for.) :D

WOW! Looks like they did a great job. Maybe I'll vacation there someday, looks like Vegas. I wonder what tourist attractions they have? Do they allow gambling and alcohol in Dubai?

I think you should move there permanently. Have a nice trip.

...And hookers and everything else your lil' heard desires - Vegas on steroids... Bring a SHIP-LOAD of $$$$$$$$.:lol:

-Joe

Last edited:
I think you should move there permanently. Have a nice trip.
In your original post you claimed that we'd been "sending our gas money" there. Well looky here what I read in the WSJ today:
Dubai's Heavy Debt Load Stirs Concern - WSJ.com
Dubai doesn't have big reserves of hydrocarbons (that means oil). Instead, it has been bankrolling much of its building boom through international debt markets. With those all but shut these days, analysts are warning of a slowdown if global markets don't free up soon. "Given the magnitude of the projects that Dubai is taking on, it will certainly need to borrow internationally," said Philipp Lotter, a Dubai-based analyst at Moody's Investors Service. "If that access is impaired ... certain investments have to be put on hold."
Care to restate your argument about "our gas money" and Dubai?

Last edited:

YOu should. It really is a pretty cool place to go. And unlike Europe, they really like Americans....

I read this thread a few days ago but didn't post. I was going to ask whether or not all this stuff was government-funded, or some kind of government-private partnership, seeing as how mineral rights are owned by governments in most countries. I suspected that all was not well; that government spending had resulted in misallocated funds or malinvestments or some such thing.

Turns out my hunch was right.

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Mark Thornton of the Mises Institute examined the connection between the completion of the next tallest-building and the business cycle in "Skyscrapers And Business Cycles" which appeared in the Spring 2005 edition of The Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics. Using economist Andrew Lawrence’s skyscraper index, combined with Austrian Business Cycle Theory, Thornton finds that the skyscraper index is a good predictor of economic crisis and "that both the cause of skyscrapers reaching new heights and severe business cycles are related to instability in debt financing…"

The first skyscraper cycle began in 1904 in New York when the 47-story Singer Building and 50-story Metropolitan Life buildings began construction. This building boom was quickly followed by the Panic of 1907. In the late 1920’s with Wall Street booming three record-setting towers – 40 Wall Street, Chrysler Building, and the Empire State Building – were started, only to be completed after the stock market crash of 1929 and the onset of the Great Depression.

The third cycle began with the commencement of construction of the Sears Tower in Chicago in 1970 and the World Trade Center in New York, which broke ground in 1966. By the time these projects were completed the US economy was mired in stagflation.

The 88-story Petronas Tower in Kuala Lumpur, features twin "cosmic pillars" spiraling endlessly towards the heavens. Petronas was completed in 1997, the same year as the Asian Financial Crisis.

These four cycles, Thornton points out, share common characteristics: A period of cheap, easy money, leading to stock market booms and increases in capital expenditures. This new capital leads to technological advances and employment growth. During the booms, the next tallest building is planned and construction begins. But, prior to completion, negative information leads to market panics and the value of capital goods falls.

The coordinated and constant creation of liquidity by the world’s central banks, especially since the Greenspan era, has led to not only more contenders for the tallest building title all over the world, but also frenzied high-rise construction everywhere.

Thornton’s work shows us that before the construction party ends, the economy wakes up with a bad hangover. Better stock up on aspirin, there is a lot of pain coming.

Booms, Busts, and Construction Cranes by Doug French

Mark Thornton of the Mises Institute examined the connection between the completion of the next tallest-building and the business cycle in "Skyscrapers And Business Cycles" which appeared in the Spring 2005 edition of The Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics. Using economist Andrew Lawrence’s skyscraper index, combined with Austrian Business Cycle Theory, Thornton finds that the skyscraper index is a good predictor of economic crisis and "that both the cause of skyscrapers reaching new heights and severe business cycles are related to instability in debt financing…"

The first skyscraper cycle began in 1904 in New York when the 47-story Singer Building and 50-story Metropolitan Life buildings began construction. This building boom was quickly followed by the Panic of 1907. In the late 1920’s with Wall Street booming three record-setting towers – 40 Wall Street, Chrysler Building, and the Empire State Building – were started, only to be completed after the stock market crash of 1929 and the onset of the Great Depression.

The third cycle began with the commencement of construction of the Sears Tower in Chicago in 1970 and the World Trade Center in New York, which broke ground in 1966. By the time these projects were completed the US economy was mired in stagflation.

The 88-story Petronas Tower in Kuala Lumpur, features twin "cosmic pillars" spiraling endlessly towards the heavens. Petronas was completed in 1997, the same year as the Asian Financial Crisis.

These four cycles, Thornton points out, share common characteristics: A period of cheap, easy money, leading to stock market booms and increases in capital expenditures. This new capital leads to technological advances and employment growth. During the booms, the next tallest building is planned and construction begins. But, prior to completion, negative information leads to market panics and the value of capital goods falls.

The coordinated and constant creation of liquidity by the world’s central banks, especially since the Greenspan era, has led to not only more contenders for the tallest building title all over the world, but also frenzied high-rise construction everywhere.

Thornton’s work shows us that before the construction party ends, the economy wakes up with a bad hangover. Better stock up on aspirin, there is a lot of pain coming.

Booms, Busts, and Construction Cranes by Doug French

Thank you, world central banks !

Forum List

Back