Where should the line be drawn on abortion?

Psalm 139:15-24 (Good News Translation)

15 When my bones were being formed, carefully put together in my mother's womb, when I was growing there in secret, you knew that I was there - 16 you saw me before I was born.

with all due respect, jackson, your religion governs YOUR choices... not mine or anyone else's.

According to one resource I read, the heartbeat starts at 18 days gestation in an unborn child.

As far as above is concerned, I am precluded from expressing any opinion that I may have on this delicate subject.

Have fun.

I'm pretty heavily biased in the matter, too.

But I honestly feel that the heartbeat makes it a Life and, as such, should be the line.

:cool:
Since mine is divine knowledge of life in the womb based on one of King David's psalms (139) it is not in accordance with the two parameters listed above. That's all I can say. I'm so sorry, but I respect the OPs desire to conduct a debate on this issue that is clinical in nature, and not spiritually-based according to anyone's personal interpretation of faith, which it would be in my case since in my church, we have Old Testament scholars of full understanding sitting next to Planned Parenthood leaders and workers. (go figure).. lololol

I'm with you, Becki, lol.

15 When my bones were being formed, carefully put together in my mother's womb, when I was growing there in secret, you knew that I was there - 16 you saw me before I was born.

with all due respect, jackson, your religion governs YOUR choices... not mine or anyone else's.

Thank God it it governed mine or I wouldn't have had a wonderful son!

and if your religion governed mine, i wouldn't have my wonderful son

which is why you shouldn't be making my choices. make your own. live in good health.

don't try to make others' choices. that's the issue.... not what you, personally, find objectionable

which is why you shouldn't be making my choices. make your own. live in good health.

don't try to make others' choices. that's the issue.... not what you, personally, find objectionable

I am only putting my two cents in as everyone else is. Some are saying when the heart beats, some are saying a certain time, well, so am I...at conception, the decision is made for me.

Reading all of you, I am so glad that we live in a country with a secular constitution informed by religious and or ethical values. If ever there were reason in and of itself for separation of organized religion and state, we see it here.

Reading all of you, I am so glad that we live in a country with a secular constitution informed by religious and or ethical values. If ever there were reason in and of itself for separation of organized religion and state, we see it here.

As in so many things we do in life, it is a matter of conscience that spurs our decisions. You are right, Jake, we are lucky to be living in this country where we have the freedoms we do.

I am only putting my two cents in as everyone else is. Some are saying when the heart beats, some are saying a certain time, well, so am I...at conception, the decision is made for me.

i understand. but the people who think like you are the ones trying to infringe on my right to make those decisions for myself.

i don't care what anyone believes on an individual basis.

Any time a child is aborted, a decision has been made for someone else. The selfish party remains.

I understand full well that nothing pulls extremist automatons from all sides out of the woodwork faster than an abortion thread, but since we now have a clean debate forum I'm going to try anyway.

I ask that if you wish to participate in this debate you first concede the following two points:

1) Aborting a fetus within a week of conception is not murdering a child.

2) Aborting a fetus after 8 months of gestation, that could survive outside the womb, is murdering a child.

The debate I'm interested in is where between point 1 and point 2 should that line be drawn? At what point in the pregnancy has the mother forfeited the right to 'choose' so to speak?

Heartbeat

period

^ This.
I do not concede your point.....why don't we just agree to be civil.

At what point were you viable? At what point, had an abortion been committed, would you not be here today?

Honestly, I am not 100% against abortion. I would accept it for: rape, primarily; severe known birth defect issues....severe; and self preservation....that event that is a doctor/patient moment when the mother's life is threatened and she and the doctor or the doctor and her advocate must make ultimate decisions.

Barring those horrible instances, each of you who is a proponent of abortion-at-will based on a viability date is starting from a false premise. Every conception is viable until it is not. It is not only outside forces that halt a pregnancy, you are the proof that outside forces did not terminate you. Ok?

Regarding my acceptance of rape and severe birth defects...this is a very difficult concession. As humans we know that natural selection is part of our equation...we are biological. We are animals. We are animals with a conscience. Rapist attempt to accomplish something, and while it is truly unfortunate for the offspring, I believe it would be a greater miscarriage of humanity to force to term any women forcibly impregnated. The women, in this case, and in the case of self-preservation, supersedes the fetus in importance.

Last edited:

So are you saying that women with religion do not have abortions?

Where should the line be drawn on abortion?

Why does a line have to be drawn?

Hey you tell me.

Mother of two admits aborting baby a week before its due date
A mother of two aborted her own baby just a week before she was due to give birth after taking drugs bought on the internet, a court has heard. Sarah Catt, 35 from Sherburn, North Yorkshire, deliberately brought on a miscarriage in the final stages of pregnancy, in what a judge described as “highly unusual circumstances”.

It is understood she purchased a quantity of the drug Misoprostol, which can induce abortion, after researching and buying it on the internet.

Police believe she terminated her pregnancy within a week of its due date, but no trace of the baby’s body has been found.

During the police investigation she persistently told officers she had undergone a legal termination.

But abortions in the UK can only legally be carried out up to 24 weeks and detectives said they had evidence Catt had been pregnant at her 30 week scan.

Mother of two admits aborting baby a week before its due date - Telegraph

When does a woman's right to choose become murder?

Forum List

Back