Where should stimulus money go?

?

• Simply to white construction workers and skilled workers

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Not simply to white construction workers and skilled workers

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
The statistics every day underscore the urgency of the economic situation, and the American people expect action," the new Democratic president said in brief remarks before heading into a private meeting with Senate Republicans. "I don't expect 100 percent agreement from my Republican colleagues, but I do hope we can put politics aside."

Obama's decision to meet lawmakers on their home turf is symbolic of his desire for bipartisan backing for the stimulus plan even though fellow Democrats hold sufficient majorities in both houses to pass the measure, regardless.

Obama pushes economic plan in Congress - White House- msnbc.com

So we don't need the GOP. Obama is just trying to "work with" the GOP. Let us see if that is possible. I don't think it is, because the GOP doesn't want anything the Dems want.

They want the economy to work only for the rich, the Dems want it to work for everyone.

The Dems want good paying jobs. The GOP want tax breaks for the corporations that are moving overseas.

Etc

Every member of the GOP worth his salt will vote no. Let the Dems do it on their own. Let them own it.

I guess what you and the GOP need to understand is that as hard as you work against us, is just how hard we will make it on you.
And we own this bitch for at least 2 years, so its going to be a looooong 2 years. Heck, make it 4, no, 8 years.

For you and Bitch McConnell, its going to be a long 8 years.

And get used to hearing the name Bitch McConnell, because he's the new Bush. The new Corporate Fascist figure head. Him and Boehner.

What makes you think we don't understand that? You have been braying non stop since the election jackazz! We knew you fucking were lying when you said you wanted bipartianship.. now didn't we? Why, hell yes, I think we did. Oh by the way, Did I tell you I hope obamalama fails?

ps, NOW take a gander at the population of KC and surrounding areas and tell me you think 213 jobs are sufficient. Hell, I had more than that in my graduation class in HIGH SCHOOL.

It's only one job category, shogun. doesn't represent the entire job market in that vicinity. It's also only one website out of the plethora of others. And 213 entries doesn't necessarily mean only 213 jobs, either. Many of those entries are simply a company placing an ad looking for SEVERAL nurses to fill needed positions.

I didn't think I would need to clarify that though, I thought those job finder websites kind of spoke for themselves.

Considering the likelihood of there being way more than only 213 nursing positions that need filling, I'd say that constitutes quite a strong nursing job market in that vicinity, especially in the face of a RECESSION.

You said healthcare jobs were being lost in your area. I don't know how far you are from KC, but the healthcare market doesn't appear to be declining in that 30 mile vicinity. The total healthcare job entries were much higher than 213, too.

If you want to keep making absolute statements based on one particular profession I mention, fine. There's opportunities out there for anyone if they're willing to pursue them. Maybe the 50 year old lathe operator should have been thinking about retraining 20 years ago when it was already becoming apparent that manufacturing was phasing out in this country.

I'll talk about trade deficits if you want. I'm not avoiding ANYTHING. Can you reconcile raising taxes on a company in this country, when all it's going to do is promote a move offshore? A business has one prime initiative - PROFIT. Everything else comes after that. You can call that greed, but a company doesn't stay in business by throwing money away. If you're going to tax the ever loving shit out of a business, that business is going to look for a way to lessen the burden. Going overseas is one way. I don't like outsourcing anymore than you do, but I also don't like strangling tax policies that eventually force a business to make a decision like that.

You want your cake and you want to eat it too. You want to spend money on everyone here in the country, and then you want to tax everyone to pay for all that spending. And then you want companies to just take the taxes up the ass and say oh well, whatever, and then keep losing revenue in the process. You're not entitled to your job. The company can and will let you go if it's something they can control. The increased tax burdens are far less controllable than the payroll.

You are SPECIFICALLY bringing up the SINGLE field of nursing in your personal example. Should I have assumed that your friend is taking a minor in Cashiering and Truck Driving?

The VERY POINT of our failing economy, Pauli, is that there IS NOT AMPLE OPPORTUNITY WHEN ALL WE SEE IS WIDE SCALE LAYOFFS AND THE REDUCTION OF DOMESTIC JOB OPPORTUNITIES.

And blaming taxes is a copout and you know it. Nafta didn't raise mexican wages, they LOWERED AMERICAN wages. It takes a giant leap through the bullshit ring to keep blaming taxes when it's CLEAR that the class you keep defend will cry and bitch about labor cost REGARDLESS of their own profit margin. It's called greed and it's not brand spanking new just because WSJ capitalistas are looking at losing their grip on our economic climate.

and yes, these companies don't get income by marketing to fucking Indian or Mexican paupers. If that were the case, they wouldn't use American consumers like a constantly bloody tampon when they could relocate. WE are still the consumers of the world and, that being the case, get to decide who can sell here or not. Hence terrifs on ALL foreign goods that are imported beyond our trade deficit. If you can't value your own house then perhaps you should move.

let me remind you: I may not be entitled to a job but neither are business ENTITLED to do business here. We the people voted and, in the words of a chrony from england, you WSJ free market scheisters lose.

Last edited:
only because half of your voting population had no clue what they were voting for. Oh and a gentle little reminder. billboard signed NAFTA into law. Yep,, he did.

I brought up a couple different fields in our limited exchange, and each time you generalized them as being the only field worth considering. Let's just cut to the chase and establish that I'm saying that there are MULTIPLE fields that are looking for workers RIGHT NOW. Jobs are being lost RIGHT NOW, because our economy is currently down the toilet. You and I probably don't even agree on why THAT is, so this conversation is ultimately going to go nowhere.

You ultimately blame trade deficits, and I don't. I blame our monetary policy. I blame inflation progressively and consistently rising over the course of the last 100 years, and wages not moving in lockstep. I believe that is becuase business owners know that the economic environment is one where we go through too many business cycles and see too much inflation followed by too much deflation, and so on and so on, ad nauseum. Continually raising wages to keep up with inflation is financial suicide, because when the next bubble bursts and we spriral into deflation, those wages are not going to be sustainable as Dollars become scarce, like we're seeing today. That's only going to lead to layoffs and downsizing, in the end. We're seeing record layoffs NOW, imagine if wages had been even HIGHER to account for inflation increases over the last, say, 20 years? We could very well be seeing TWICE these job losses, if not more.

It's chicken/egg. Trade deficits are being affected by monetary policy. And for the record, I don't support a single free trade agreement that's ever been signed onto by the US. You don't need a treaty to practice free trade. I understand that those treaties are crony deals just as much as you do.

The statistics every day underscore the urgency of the economic situation, and the American people expect action," the new Democratic president said in brief remarks before heading into a private meeting with Senate Republicans. "I don't expect 100 percent agreement from my Republican colleagues, but I do hope we can put politics aside."

Obama's decision to meet lawmakers on their home turf is symbolic of his desire for bipartisan backing for the stimulus plan even though fellow Democrats hold sufficient majorities in both houses to pass the measure, regardless.

So we don't need the GOP. Obama is just trying to "work with" the GOP. Let us see if that is possible. I don't think it is, because the GOP doesn't want anything the Dems want.

They want the economy to work only for the rich, the Dems want it to work for everyone.

The Dems want good paying jobs. The GOP want tax breaks for the corporations that are moving overseas.

Etc

Every member of the GOP worth his salt will vote no. Let the Dems do it on their own. Let them own it.
i agree
no Republican is needed for Obama to get everything he wants
they should vote as a block "no" on everything and let the chips fall where they may
if this shit he wants is so good, he shouldnt need the GOP for anything

Etc

i agree
they should vote as a block "no" on everything and let the chips fall where they may

What about the Blue Dogs who aren't just going to be rubber stamps?

i agree

I'm sure Sealybobo has a special place in hell for them.

i agree

how is that a GOP problem?

:lol:

i agree

It's not. You said no republican is needed for Obama to get everything he wants, presumaby because you expect the Dems to give it to him. I asked what about the Blue Dogs, who are no doubt going to make or break Obama getting everything he wants. They won't be rubber stamping Obama like most of the liberal dems. So ultimately, he's going to end up needing some GOP votes from time to time.

It's not. You said no republican is needed for Obama to get everything he wants, presumaby because you expect the Dems to give it to him. I asked what about the Blue Dogs, who are no doubt going to make or break Obama getting everything he wants. They won't be rubber stamping Obama like most of the liberal dems. So ultimately, he's going to end up needing some GOP votes from time to time.
so????

if they dont pass, it wont be the GOP's fault
since they are not relevent at this point

so????

if they dont pass, it wont be the GOP's fault
since they are not relevent at this point

I don't know dude. You presented a situation of Obama needing no GOP support, I presented one where he obviously will at some point.

He doesn't have a rubber stamp congress as it stands. Let's just be happy about at least that, shall we?

He needs two repubs for every issue in the Senate right now. Problem is, he's got at least six conservative democrats that will not vote for this stimulus in the Senate, along with the republicans. He really only has about two or four vote margin in the Senate not the 16-18 the partly line. He needs 60-40 to have a rubber stamp Congress. He has about a 52-48 or 53-47 at best.

The Senate is going to obstruct a lot of his plans if he doesn't cow-tow a lot to Republican concerns. As for 2010 elections, Dems will likely lose at least one seat (Illinois) and possibly two more as now its the turn for dem retirements. Add the ultra conservative upstate New Yorker that took Hillary's seat and Obama is going to be forced to the middle on everything for the duration if he wants anything to get done at all.

Pelosi and Reid's dream of a massive secular-progressive wave of policy is dead on arrival. Reid, himself, is not likely to win re-election in Nevada as his approval ratings there are in the tank. Tom Dashel all over again.

Last edited:
You are SPECIFICALLY bringing up the SINGLE field of nursing in your personal example. Should I have assumed that your friend is taking a minor in Cashiering and Truck Driving?

The VERY POINT of our failing economy, Pauli, is that there IS NOT AMPLE OPPORTUNITY WHEN ALL WE SEE IS WIDE SCALE LAYOFFS AND THE REDUCTION OF DOMESTIC JOB OPPORTUNITIES.

And blaming taxes is a copout and you know it. Nafta didn't raise mexican wages, they LOWERED AMERICAN wages. It takes a giant leap through the bullshit ring to keep blaming taxes when it's CLEAR that the class you keep defend will cry and bitch about labor cost REGARDLESS of their own profit margin. It's called greed and it's not brand spanking new just because WSJ capitalistas are looking at losing their grip on our economic climate.

and yes, these companies don't get income by marketing to fucking Indian or Mexican paupers. If that were the case, they wouldn't use American consumers like a constantly bloody tampon when they could relocate. WE are still the consumers of the world and, that being the case, get to decide who can sell here or not. Hence terrifs on ALL foreign goods that are imported beyond our trade deficit. If you can't value your own house then perhaps you should move.

let me remind you: I may not be entitled to a job but neither are business ENTITLED to do business here. We the people voted and, in the words of a chrony from england, you WSJ free market scheisters lose.

Double the price of people's $500 32" HDTV's and $500 PC's, $250 game consoles, $8 t-shirts, $6 baseballs, $2 toilet brushes, etc....and people here will revolt on any protectionism. Made in USA campaign died from the REALITY of the global economy, 20 years ago....and remains dead as ever.

Considering there is no possible way to avoid this train wreck, I suppose I'd like to see the government's crack smoked by the "Greenies". Windmills, solar fields, and an improved electrical grid have a certain appeal. It's a lot more appealing than ACORN nuts.

the money will go to all the state projects that were put on hold.....then you will watch all the state projects restatr and obama claim record employment......the private sector well still be fucked...

I brought up a couple different fields in our limited exchange, and each time you generalized them as being the only field worth considering. Let's just cut to the chase and establish that I'm saying that there are MULTIPLE fields that are looking for workers RIGHT NOW. Jobs are being lost RIGHT NOW, because our economy is currently down the toilet. You and I probably don't even agree on why THAT is, so this conversation is ultimately going to go nowhere.

You ultimately blame trade deficits, and I don't. I blame our monetary policy. I blame inflation progressively and consistently rising over the course of the last 100 years, and wages not moving in lockstep. I believe that is becuase business owners know that the economic environment is one where we go through too many business cycles and see too much inflation followed by too much deflation, and so on and so on, ad nauseum. Continually raising wages to keep up with inflation is financial suicide, because when the next bubble bursts and we spriral into deflation, those wages are not going to be sustainable as Dollars become scarce, like we're seeing today. That's only going to lead to layoffs and downsizing, in the end. We're seeing record layoffs NOW, imagine if wages had been even HIGHER to account for inflation increases over the last, say, 20 years? We could very well be seeing TWICE these job losses, if not more.

It's chicken/egg. Trade deficits are being affected by monetary policy. And for the record, I don't support a single free trade agreement that's ever been signed onto by the US. You don't need a treaty to practice free trade. I understand that those treaties are crony deals just as much as you do.

Trade deficits are merely a symptom of the failure of free market capitalistas. If we were busy protecting our domestic interest rather than following some WSJ reader over the proverbial cliff then we wound't HAVE trade deficits.

And, again, you can't pretend that an area hiring 250 fucking nurses in an area with at least THAT many in a single fucking urban county indicates rampant opportunity. AGAIN, that sure is a brave position to take while IN SCHOOL. Outside of your classroom there is a reason people are losing their jobs and it's not just because all of a fucking sudden 250 people lost access to Monster dot com.

Good grief.. So, every begger in calcutta is just the product of laziness, eh? They just can't "find the right education to fit the rampant opportunity" of their system, eh? Bullshit. The brochure might read like a fucking treasure map but talk to me after graduation when you find a chest full of sand.

Double the price of people's $500 32" HDTV's and $500 PC's, $250 game consoles, $8 t-shirts, $6 baseballs, $2 toilet brushes, etc....and people here will revolt on any protectionism. Made in USA campaign died from the REALITY of the global economy, 20 years ago....and remains dead as ever.

They won't revolt any more than they would if the SAME increase applied from the "fair tax" you people always harp on about. And, to be honest, the factor you miss is that Americans would actually HAVE THE MONEY since they would be working for a SOL above and beyond that of a chinese slave. If you make good money and balk at increased prices then find a domestic alternative that is cheaper. That IS the result of protectionism: preserved economic through a suported spending base larger than all the wal mart cashiers you silly bastards can cram into one food pantry line.

And no, it died because people like you keep promising more than the rotten carrot you are dangling. Suffice it to say, this last election conveys what the people think about your fiscal opinoin.

the money will go to all the state projects that were put on hold.....then you will watch all the state projects restatr and obama claim record employment......the private sector well still be fucked...

the private sector isn't always the best solution. If you think so then go vote to privatize your local police force.

Forum List

Back