Where should I do my accounting internship?

Miami is fun. But a single guy should go spent time in NYC.

Miami is nothing but gay guys and women with blonde hair, blonde teeth, and big tits. Fun as a vacation, but I could never live there. Keys would be great for 9 months though.

you don't know what you are talking about

First of all,
South Beach doesn't represent Miami...thats a toruist area...so all the Blondes you were seeing were probably from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

As for Jsanders question

I would suggest working for any of the big 4, cause it will look th ebest on your resume.

Pricewaterhousecoopers
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
Ernst & Young
KPMG

They are all four on my list to send resumes to. But before I send resumes, I have to choose which cities I want to apply to. They won't let you just apply and go wherever, you have to apply for particular internships. KPMG is my first choice, followed by Deloitte.

As for where I want to live, New Orleans was certainly never a consideration. Too dirty, I've been there. I'm not that impressed by Florida, either. Actually, the beach in general is not my cup of tea. I prefer big cities with bustling night life.

I think New York would be too overwhelming for me. I would like to visit, but I think Boston is more my style. I've had friends who spent summers interning there, and they loved it.

Miami is nothing but gay guys and women with blonde hair, blonde teeth, and big tits. Fun as a vacation, but I could never live there. Keys would be great for 9 months though.

you don't know what you are talking about

First of all,
South Beach doesn't represent Miami...thats a toruist area...so all the Blondes you were seeing were probably from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

As for Jsanders question

I would suggest working for any of the big 4, cause it will look th ebest on your resume.

Pricewaterhousecoopers
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
Ernst & Young
KPMG

They are all four on my list to send resumes to. But before I send resumes, I have to choose which cities I want to apply to. They won't let you just apply and go wherever, you have to apply for particular internships. KPMG is my first choice, followed by Deloitte.

As for where I want to live, New Orleans was certainly never a consideration. Too dirty, I've been there. I'm not that impressed by Florida, either. Actually, the beach in general is not my cup of tea. I prefer big cities with bustling night life.

I think New York would be too overwhelming for me. I would like to visit, but I think Boston is more my style. I've had friends who spent summers interning there, and they loved it.
but you REALLY dont want to be in Boston in Jan
TRUST me
lol

Terrible traffic if you don't know your way and just stay on 95 all the time...there are ways around traffic.

Crime is bad here...yet, live in a good area and you don't deal with it.

Not that expesnive to live ina nice area...I live in Aventura, which is a VERY good area and because of the bubble that popped, homes are very inexpensive.

For Sanders, his best bet would be a Condo which are dirt cheap...He can get a condo in Aventura on the circle, a 1 bedroom for 170,000 or rent one for a grand a month

Let's see. Aventura IS nice, but it's a hella long commute to downtown in the morning through not very nice neighborhoods. You can get off of I-95 and take other roads, but the areas between downtown and Aventura can be scary.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Miami, and I miss the cafe con leche in little Havana, but it wouldn't be a place I'd choose to live.

diving in missouri? well key west for accounting? i mean the rent there is hellish....boston sucks...lets not kid each other...i have never been cause no one who has been there once ever wants to go back....now nyc is kick ass...if you dont mind the grit on your skin and the small hacking cough you will develop...dont worry once you leave it clears right up....

bulloney bones!!! honestly, for big cities on the east coast....Boston rocks...everyone that has ever been there that i have met, loved it! even as a kid, those that went up to boston to college/university there....loved it!

yes, it is expensive.... though cheaper than new york city.....!!!!

If i were him, i would not waste this opportunity in key west kind of thing...which they certainly have NO INTERN positions....

i'd go for the gusto, and go for interning in NYC, or London, or hong kong or Amsterdam (depending on his likes:) )....that is.....if i had the money!
============================================
jsanders...if you stay in the usa....you might try interning with Dillard's....they have an internship program, mostly for Retail Buyers but ya never know....they could do such for accounting as well.... you could ask to intern with them at their stpetersburg corporate office in the tampa bay area.....cost of living isn't that high there, and no question it's a fun area from nightlife to the beaches. If they do have a program for accountants and you decide to do such, let me know....i can give you the direct names of the people who could help you land the internship....and would be glad to do such....although we differ on much, you come off as a very responsible young man, and i would be willing to help you, if you need it, or want a job there....

I'm from the Raleigh / Durham area. Consistantly ranks as one of the best places to live and work in the US. Of course, that means there are a shit load of relocated yankees.

I'm from the Raleigh / Durham area. Consistantly ranks as one of the best places to live and work in the US. Of course, that means there are a shit load of relocated yankees.

I live in Northwest Arkansas, we're also ranked as one of the best small cities to live and work. But, there's only one big accounting firm located here, and I've heard the people in the office are dicks. Plus, this is my chance to get away for a little while and do something I've always wanted to do, which is live in a big city. This way I can move there knowing that I'm not stuck for longer than 6-9 months if I don't like it.

so you can only apply to 4 places or what?

Oh no, I'm applying to a dozen or more places. The "big four" are just the four biggest accounting firms in the US. If I can land a job there, I'll be set for life. That kind of experience goes a long way.

jsanders...if you stay in the usa....you might try interning with Dillard's....they have an internship program, mostly for Retail Buyers but ya never know....they could do such for accounting as well.... you could ask to intern with them at their stpetersburg corporate office in the tampa bay area.....cost of living isn't that high there, and no question it's a fun area from nightlife to the beaches. If they do have a program for accountants and you decide to do such, let me know....i can give you the direct names of the people who could help you land the internship....and would be glad to do such....although we differ on much, you come off as a very responsible young man, and i would be willing to help you, if you need it, or want a job there....

Thanks for the offer, Care. I'm not sure doing accounting or even auditing for a retail chain is the kind of experience I'm looking for. My focus is on sustainability and greenhouse emissions. If I can land a job with a large accounting firm, I will get a lot of hands on experience in that area. It's a growing trend in accounting, and very few companies are measuring sustainability. Over the next few years, we'll see a lot more of it, and I want the experience beforehand so that I can be part of this shift in accounting principles.

Terrible traffic if you don't know your way and just stay on 95 all the time...there are ways around traffic.

Not that expesnive to live ina nice area...I live in Aventura, which is a VERY good area and because of the bubble that popped, homes are very inexpensive.

For Sanders, his best bet would be a Condo which are dirt cheap...He can get a condo in Aventura on the circle, a 1 bedroom for 170,000 or rent one for a grand a month

Let's see. Aventura IS nice, but it's a hella long commute to downtown in the morning through not very nice neighborhoods. You can get off of I-95 and take other roads, but the areas between downtown and Aventura can be scary.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Miami, and I miss the cafe con leche in little Havana, but it wouldn't be a place I'd choose to live.

you think?

I work here in Downtown on brickell bay dr...with traffic it is a half hour to 45 min commute from Aventura...with no traffic it's a 15 min commute. Also going north to go home is 10 minutes because they just installed the express lanes where you pay for the fast lanes...so worth the 2 bucks every day I'm home in 10 min.

Yes the neighborhoods in between are shitty....ie liberty city...but usually you can drive through there through the day and are perfectly fine to avoid the 95 traffic

Also JSands

I know my company has a good internship program and has offices all over the world.

My good friend has been a financial analyst here and is moving to nyc with a huge pay increase to the M&A department (Mergers & Acquistions)

Company is Aon, if you feel like looking it up

Maybe you should consider Charlotte, NC. 2nd largest banking center in the US. I don't know what that means for accounting.

But it isn't a "big" city.

Also JSands

I know my company has a good internship program and has offices all over the world.

My good friend has been a financial analyst here and is moving to nyc with a huge pay increase to the M&A department (Mergers & Acquistions)

Company is Aon, if you feel like looking it up

I'm actually familiar with Aon, they were at the career fair I went to last week. I can't remember if they had anything related to accounting or not.

Pick a red state. South Florida is a horrible place, you'd hate the food and the multiculturalism and the Keys and the sky and the sun and the rain...and we don't need any more wingnuts.

:razz:

Well if you do wind up in Boston J, the first thing people there are going to notice about you is, you have a funny accent... :lol:

Hell, I don't know why you would want to leave Arkansas. I've been there and ....... shit......I couldn't wait to leave. Never mind.

you think?

I work here in Downtown on brickell bay dr...with traffic it is a half hour to 45 min commute from Aventura...with no traffic it's a 15 min commute. Also going north to go home is 10 minutes because they just installed the express lanes where you pay for the fast lanes...so worth the 2 bucks every day I'm home in 10 min.

Yes the neighborhoods in between are shitty....ie liberty city...but usually you can drive through there through the day and are perfectly fine to avoid the 95 traffic

I used to live in a high rise called The Charter Club, right off of Biscayne blvd and 36th street, on Biscayne Bay, (It was such an awesome place, had a restaurant with room service to your condo, had a dry cleaners, a small grocer, a gym, a pool hall, a swimming pool/spa....with bar and grill) and i worked right near there.... The Omni Hotel area....the Mall there at one time was the Buying Head Quarters for a Department Store called Jordan Marsh who later was named Maas Brothers/Jordan Marsh who was then bought out by Federated and renamed Burdines Stores....or sold off by them if they already had a store in the mall our store was in....

Anyway, we sorta were near Liberty city, only the charter Club was on the EAST SIDE of Biscayne blvd and so was the Onmi, which made all the difference in the world....

I don't even know if the Omni Hotel and the Omni Mall or the Charter Club are even still there anymore....this was about 20 years ago!!!! :eek: The Corporate Buyers office moved to Tampa in 1989 or so, so that is how i ended up in tampa for almost a decade...was a Buyer at Dillard's St Pete office after jordan masch/Maas got bought out by Burdines.

I love Miami! The city used to become ALIVE at around midnight and hop till 4 am....(Of course i was very, very young)

I love Cuban Food....there was a place down in little havana called La esquina de tejas-(the texas corner) that had the BEST cuban food and cuban bread EVER....Ronald Reagan had visited the spot....pics of him every where.....don't know if that is still there too, but if it is Andrew/Catz you should eat there sometime!!!

Miami was great as well because it was just a couple of hours at most, to Islamorada, there was a hotel there that had a great tiki bar/bands and beach area and lots of spots to rent a boat to fish...my hubby and I used to do weekends there alot....the local restaurants would cook up your own catch for a small amount of money!

once in a while we would make the drive all the way down to key west....but really enjoyed islamorada better!

Care

Last edited:
Pick a red state. South Florida is a horrible place, you'd hate the food and the multiculturalism and the Keys and the sky and the sun and the rain...and we don't need any more wingnuts.

:razz:

Trust me, dear, I wouldn't want to live in Florida anymore than you would want me to. Florida is probably the second worst place in the country, after Louisiana.

Well if you do wind up in Boston J, the first thing people there are going to notice about you is, you have a funny accent... :lol:

How do you know? My Southern accent isn't as bad as most, unless I'm drunk. I've been told my Southern draw is pretty bad when I'm drunk.

Hell, I don't know why you would want to leave Arkansas. I've been there and ....... shit......I couldn't wait to leave. Never mind.

I love it here, and I plan to come back here. I just want to get away for a little while. The only reason I'm not going overseas is because the cost would be too much.

Yeah just think, the clintons are from Arkansas.

The Clintons rock. :cool:

Forum List

Back