Where Marijuana Is Legal, Opioid Prescriptions Fall

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
I wonder why big pharma lobbies against legal marijuana. :eusa_think:

As more states legalize medical and recreational marijuana, doctors may be replacing opioid prescriptions with suggestions to visit a local marijuana dispensary. Two papers published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine analyzing more than five years of Medicare Part D and Medicaid prescription data found that after states legalized weed, the number of opioid prescriptions and the daily dose of opioids went way down.

Sure, replace one drug for another.

• Banned
Sure, replace one drug for another.

Opiods are physically addictive, much harder on the body and very easy to overdose on. That's like comparing candy cigarettes to real ones.

Tis not! Maybe I used a bad comparison, but not THAT bad. Still drugs are drugs are drugs.

Oh and some "experts" say pot is addictive. Can you prove them wrong? I can't.

• Banned

Physical addiction and mental addiction are not the same. Marijuana doesn't give you withdrawals when you stop taking it. Marijuana can definitely be addictive; so can chocolate.

You can debate whether Pot is addictive or not. It certainly has a strong appeal to it's users that appears to be psychological. But what is undeniable is no one has ever died from a Marijuana overdose.

I wonder why big pharma lobbies against legal marijuana. :eusa_think:

As more states legalize medical and recreational marijuana, doctors may be replacing opioid prescriptions with suggestions to visit a local marijuana dispensary. Two papers published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine analyzing more than five years of Medicare Part D and Medicaid prescription data found that after states legalized weed, the number of opioid prescriptions and the daily dose of opioids went way down.

Dear Confounding
Let's take it one step further:

Why not research how many people who go through spiritual healing therapy
get rid of any need for either opioids or marijuana, or other drugs prescription or otherwise.

How many people get cured of cancer or other diseases
who no longer NEED medical marijuana or other treatments.

What if spiritual healing reduces the cost, demand and incidence of all these more expensive behaviors and choices?

If it works that well, where we could achieve the goal of universal health care for all by reducing costs and waste of resources,
why wouldn't Liberals be all over this solution?
It even has been used to cure criminal illness, so that the prison reforms that Democrats want
can be realized, and save all THOSE resources for health care education, programs and services!

Oh that's right.
Spiritual healing has been used to help people change and heal from unwanted homosexual attractions and orientations.
Maybe that's why Liberals don't want this researched and found to actually work.

Too bad for all the cancer patients who could benefit.
All the victims killed by criminally ill people who could have been diagnosed and cured before they caused harm or death because of their sickness.

It's more important for Liberals to BLAME and demonize
anything that Christians teach and do. They don't want
Christians to be right, that spiritual healing really does work.

That would change their whole approach to drug addictions
and LGBT counseling. If this knowledge got out, and more
people got help to change and heal, the liberals couldn't blame
political problems on those groups, but would have to focus on solving the problems together.

That's too frightening. It's easier to stay ignorant and resist change to that degree!

You can debate whether Pot is addictive or not. It certainly has a strong appeal to it's users that appears to be psychological. But what is undeniable is no one has ever died from a Marijuana overdose.

You 100% positive? :lol:

Congress needs to decriminalize marijuana and allow the states to regulate it the way they regulate tobacco and alcohol; use of marijuana should be a decision left solely to individuals to decide, not government.

You 100% positive? :lol:
Yes, there is nothing in Pot that can kill you. Opioids and synthetics like Fentanyl kill people every hour of every day.

Tis not! Maybe I used a bad comparison, but not THAT bad. Still drugs are drugs are drugs.

I can't, but credible "experts" have.

You guys are a hoot. Well, some of you are. I swear you'd argue over the shade of purple. I was pulling chains, and you fell. Not that I didn't mean it. Or did I?? :eusa_think:

Marijuana is not addictive. I've been smoking it half my life and if it was addictive, I would be addicted by now.

When I was a teenager I would smoke weed heavily all day long, every day. First job I ever went for that required drug testing I stopped without a problem, and would stay clean for months at a time, only smoking ever now and again. Most pot smokers I know have good paying jobs, and can easily quit and start back up again without a problem. Most pot smokers smoke because they want to. Not because they are dependent on it.

Physical addiction and mental addiction are not the same. Marijuana doesn't give you withdrawals when you stop taking it.

So say some. And others say different. :dunno:

Sure, but those that say different are uninformed idiots.

IYO, right? Bwhahahha!

Yes, in my opinion. I am neither qualified nor equipped to make that claim based on my own research, but I don't have a problem accepting the findings of the AMA and virtually every other credible research organization. Marijuana can be harmful to lungs, and might increase the chances for a heart attack for those who have already had at least one heart attack, but it is not physically addictive. Do you have a credible source that says it is physically addictive, or that you experience physical withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking it?

Forum List

Back