Where is the outrage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Last night irony and political posturing was on display as the winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize hosted a lavish state banquet for the man who has the 2010 winner in jail. Did Barack Obama mention Liu Xiaobo last night? No, but he did talk about selling things to China.

The Obama-Hu summit: 'A spirit of cooperation that is also friendly competition' | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

When Bush Hosted the Chinese they got a lunch. Could that be because he understood that America is supposed to stand for something? That we, as a nation, stand for freedom and human dignity above all?

Shouldn't the winner of a Noble Peace Prize understand that honoring people who not only have a record of abusing human rights, but that actively have a fellow prize winner locked up, sends the wrong message?

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    eh. dont really want to be outraged about this. Life's to short to be outraged at every stupid thing they do. Besides, I dont really respect the nobel prize.

3. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    If Obama had actually earned his, he might know how to better handle the situation.

4. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    He is looking for the noble piece of the prize, not the peace prize. Spending money to try and make money. Op word is try. My guess is the chinese will build their own cars and planes with parts made in china. Give them enough time and we will be buying software from them, not the US selling software to china..

5. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,475
    The Nobel prize is a joke and has been for years. Only a self absorbed, self-righteous nitwit would want one.

6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    I guess the point is, why would one Nobel peace prize winner be hosting the country who is imprisoning the current one?

7. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I happened to be walking by the White House yesterday. (I know, but it's true. There's a really good coffee place called Swing's next to the Old Executive Office building, but I digress).

Anyway, there was lots of outrage and protest. Apparently, not reported in the press. There were protests against the Chinese Communist Party, against the Chinese designs on Tiawan, against human rights abuses by the Chinese government. There were banners all up and down 17th Street and in Lafayette Park.

There were also "supporters" carrying ChiCom flags and paid $80/day +food and costs by the Chinese govt to carry those flags (local news story i believe).

Quite a nice spectacle those of us with a ring-side seat. (Oh not to be out done, a Union had hired a bunch of minimum wage "representatives" to protest outside a construction site a block away. Someone "not paying standard wages" -- thought about telling them what the Chinese were paying for protesters but they were making too much noise. :lol:

8. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,475
    Of course... like I said, the whole thing's a joke.

9. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Seriously? Seriously? What do you think politics is, The O'Reilly Factor? Do you honestly think that any president would confront another head of state over something like that in a public forum like a state dinner? Hey Hu, you moron.......we tricked you into coming her on the false pretense of discussing business relations between our two countries so we could really put you on the hot seat on a national stage. Answer the way we want or you might not get back on your plane and go home. Seriously? Diplomats have the job they do for a reason. Things happen slowly and thru back channels. Always have, always will. What would you expect an American President to do if he were to visit China and their leader confronted him publically over something they don't like. Would you expect him to get into a global pissing contest?

You know, I'm a conservative and I didn't vote for Obama. That being said, it makes conservatives look like children when we find fault with everything the man does. I doubt he could wipe his own ass to please some people.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,785
    It's nice to see so many of the cons have a seventh grade mentality.

You can all take comfort in the fact that Biden called Hu a dictator.

:thup: