Where is the outrage

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Last night irony and political posturing was on display as the winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize hosted a lavish state banquet for the man who has the 2010 winner in jail. Did Barack Obama mention Liu Xiaobo last night? No, but he did talk about selling things to China.

We also think that China’s rise offers enormous economic opportunity. We want to sell you all kinds of stuff. (Laughter.) We want to sell you planes. We want to sell you cars. We want to sell you software.

The Obama-Hu summit: 'A spirit of cooperation that is also friendly competition' | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

When Bush Hosted the Chinese they got a lunch. Could that be because he understood that America is supposed to stand for something? That we, as a nation, stand for freedom and human dignity above all?

Shouldn't the winner of a Noble Peace Prize understand that honoring people who not only have a record of abusing human rights, but that actively have a fellow prize winner locked up, sends the wrong message?

eh. dont really want to be outraged about this. Life's to short to be outraged at every stupid thing they do. Besides, I dont really respect the nobel prize.

Last night irony and political posturing was on display as the winner of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize hosted a lavish state banquet for the man who has the 2010 winner in jail. Did Barack Obama mention Liu Xiaobo last night? No, but he did talk about selling things to China.

We also think that China’s rise offers enormous economic opportunity. We want to sell you all kinds of stuff. (Laughter.) We want to sell you planes. We want to sell you cars. We want to sell you software.

The Obama-Hu summit: 'A spirit of cooperation that is also friendly competition' | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

When Bush Hosted the Chinese they got a lunch. Could that be because he understood that America is supposed to stand for something? That we, as a nation, stand for freedom and human dignity above all?

Shouldn't the winner of a Noble Peace Prize understand that honoring people who not only have a record of abusing human rights, but that actively have a fellow prize winner locked up, sends the wrong message?

He is looking for the noble piece of the prize, not the peace prize. Spending money to try and make money. Op word is try. My guess is the chinese will build their own cars and planes with parts made in china. Give them enough time and we will be buying software from them, not the US selling software to china..

The Nobel prize is a joke and has been for years. Only a self absorbed, self-righteous nitwit would want one.

The Nobel prize is a joke and has been for years. Only a self absorbed, self-righteous nitwit would want one.

I guess the point is, why would one Nobel peace prize winner be hosting the country who is imprisoning the current one?

I happened to be walking by the White House yesterday. (I know, but it's true. There's a really good coffee place called Swing's next to the Old Executive Office building, but I digress).

Anyway, there was lots of outrage and protest. Apparently, not reported in the press. There were protests against the Chinese Communist Party, against the Chinese designs on Tiawan, against human rights abuses by the Chinese government. There were banners all up and down 17th Street and in Lafayette Park.

There were also "supporters" carrying ChiCom flags and paid $80/day +food and costs by the Chinese govt to carry those flags (local news story i believe).

Quite a nice spectacle those of us with a ring-side seat. (Oh not to be out done, a Union had hired a bunch of minimum wage "representatives" to protest outside a construction site a block away. Someone "not paying standard wages" -- thought about telling them what the Chinese were paying for protesters but they were making too much noise. :lol:

Seriously? Seriously? What do you think politics is, The O'Reilly Factor? Do you honestly think that any president would confront another head of state over something like that in a public forum like a state dinner? Hey Hu, you moron.......we tricked you into coming her on the false pretense of discussing business relations between our two countries so we could really put you on the hot seat on a national stage. Answer the way we want or you might not get back on your plane and go home. Seriously? Diplomats have the job they do for a reason. Things happen slowly and thru back channels. Always have, always will. What would you expect an American President to do if he were to visit China and their leader confronted him publically over something they don't like. Would you expect him to get into a global pissing contest?

You know, I'm a conservative and I didn't vote for Obama. That being said, it makes conservatives look like children when we find fault with everything the man does. I doubt he could wipe his own ass to please some people.

Last edited:
It's nice to see so many of the cons have a seventh grade mentality.

You can all take comfort in the fact that Biden called Hu a dictator.

:thup:

outraged that Obama should have had lunch instead of dinner and that would have shown we stand for human dignity and freedom?

You have no dignity if you believe that is the difference between lunch and dinner

Seriously? Seriously? What do you think politics is, The O'Reilly Factor? Do you honestly think that any president would confront another head of state over something like that in a public forum like a state dinner? Hey Hu, you moron.......we tricked you into coming her on the false pretense of discussing business relations between our two countries so we could really put you on the hot seat on a national stage. Answer the way we want or you might not get back on your plane and go home. Seriously? Diplomats have the job they do for a reason. Things happen slowly and thru back channels. Always have, always will. What would you expect an American President to do if he were to visit China and their leader confronted him publically over something they don't like. Would you expect him to get into a global pissing contest?

You know, I'm a conservative and I didn't vote for Obama. That being said, it makes conservatives look like children when we find fault with everything the man does. I doubt he could wipe his own ass to please some people.

You are right, it would never happen.

Ooops

My point is not that Obama did not confront him, it is that he actually honored him with a state dinner. This is not about being conservative or liberal, it is about standing up for principles.

But I do appreciate the obfuscation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to see so many of the cons have a seventh grade mentality.

You can all take comfort in the fact that Biden called Hu a dictator.

:thup:

Please support your claim that anything in this thread, prior to your insults, is a seventh grade mentality.

You don't think it's at least inconsistant that two nobel prize winners are praising a man who has incarcerated a third one?

Quantum are you even aware of who and what is in control of the Nobel Committee now??

Grow a brain.

woman%252Blaughing.JPG

He is looking for the noble piece of the prize, not the peace prize. Spending money to try and make money. Op word is try. My guess is the chinese will build their own cars and planes with parts made in china. Give them enough time and we will be buying software from them, not the US selling software to china..

Hell, we owe them so much GD money that we can't repay, we'll be making payments in planes, cars and software...we won't be selling them shit!!! We'll be giving it to them to pay down our unfathomable debt.

well Hu did promise that he would have his government check their software to be sure they were licensed.

But on another front he refused the lease for the Pandas we have for 10 years, which is what we asked for, he offered 5, which we took.

Forum List

Back