Where Is The Best Bang For The BucK?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
There is the old saying, "Social Science: elaborate demonstration of the obvious by methods that are obscure."

This NYTimes article validates the above: if you were asked which degree was worth more in the real world, an engineering degree, or one in counseling....
...obvious answer, eh?

But it also validates the idea that some sort of striving for 'equality' is sophomoric...as there are as many differences in people as there are choices.
But here is the article:

"Calculating the Potential Return on Your Major
By JACQUES STEINBERG
As the cost of college climbs ever higher each year, amid a national economic forecast that remains cloudy, questions about the value of a four-year degree are being raised with increased urgency.

The latest piece of evidence to become part of that debate is a report released Tuesday by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce. Its seductive title: “What’s it Worth? The Economic Value of College Majors.”

The good news? “While there is a lot of variation in earnings over a lifetime,” the center said in a press release, “the authors find that all undergraduate majors are ‘worth it,’ even taking into account the cost of college and lost earnings.”

And yet, for those applicants to college seeking the most bang for their buck — at least as defined as maximizing their lifetime earnings — the authors used census data to conclude that the top majors as ranked by highest median earnings included petroleum engineer ($120,000), pharmacy/pharmaceutical sciences ($105,000) and mathematics and computer sciences ($98,000). The lowest? Counseling/psychology ($29,000), early childhood education ($36,000) and theology/religious vocations ($38,000.)"
Calculating the Potential Return on Your Major - NYTimes.com

Check out the interactive graph, linked in the article.

The engineer looks at an idea and asks "How will it work?"
The accountant looks at it and asks "How much will it cost?"
The businessman looks at it and asks "How do we sell it?"
The liberal arts grad looks at it and asks, "Do you want fries with that?

:lol:

See, now you dragged this one out of me:

Father/Daughter Talk
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of "the redistribution of wealth."

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He responded by asking how she was doing in school.
Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.
Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Conservative party."

A Conservative looks at it and says "DUH!!!!"

See, now you dragged this one out of me:

Father/Daughter Talk
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of "the redistribution of wealth."

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father.

He responded by asking how she was doing in school.
Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.
Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the Conservative party."

:lol:

And people say liberals have no sense of humor...

...for a very good reason. :lol:

Maybe if you were funny every so often.

Where Is The Best Bang For The BucK?

A king-sized bed. The back seat of a roomy car ain't bad either.

Oh wait . . . . I read that wrong.

Nevermind.

:eusa_whistle:

Nothing wrong with an economically minded woman, with proper priorities, every now and again, or so I overheard my wife tell one of my old girlfriends at breakfast one morning.

See, you and the bitter Old Rocks view everything...everything...through the lens of your politics. If you don't agree with someone's politics, you will find nothing he says funny.

Me? I can laugh at anything. I've poked fun at George Bush:

curiousbushli9.jpg

Have you made fun of Obama? Or are you too afraid you'll burst into flames for blasphemy?

See, you and the bitter Old Rocks view everything...everything...through the lens of your politics. If you don't agree with someone's politics, you will find nothing he says funny.

curiousbushli9.jpg

Have you made fun of Obama? Or are you too afraid you'll burst into flames for blasphemy?

Me, I try not to judge other people, but God, now He's the one with the sense of humor! Have you seen that grey haired Barry's ears?! And speaking of Barry, at the "perfect moment" in history we get a black man running for president with a hippy upper middle-class rebel white mom with a muslim kenyan student visa father, and the name of Barack Hussein Osa..er, Obama!!! He do work in some down right mysterious ways,...funny, but mysterious,...and sometimes spooky! Did I mention that he won? Personally, I think that if the McCain that had served as senator until about 2003, and had run against Bush for the Republican candidacy in 2000 had shown up in 2008, instead of that freak show that did show up,...mysterious ways in deed. And I even knew Palin from back when she first ran for governor and she was a little, well,...Alaskan, nothing bad about that, but boy what a caricature she's become. Anyway, where was I,...ah yes, I do hate hotels.

nite all!

Hey PoliticalChic............check this out...........

It is fascinating that the way the liberal mind works, they cannot fathom that, like it or not, life is about comprehending necessary tradeoffs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHdhrNhh88&feature=related]YouTube - ‪The Difference Between Liberal and Conservative‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:

curiousbushli9.jpg

Me, I try not to judge other people, but God, now He's the one with the sense of humor! Have you seen that grey haired Barry's ears?! And speaking of Barry, at the "perfect moment" in history we get a black man running for president with a hippy upper middle-class rebel white mom with a muslim kenyan student visa father, and the name of Barack Hussein Osa..er, Obama!!! He do work in some down right mysterious ways,...funny, but mysterious,...and sometimes spooky! Did I mention that he won? Personally, I think that if the McCain that had served as senator until about 2003, and had run against Bush for the Republican candidacy in 2000 had shown up in 2008, instead of that freak show that did show up,...mysterious ways in deed. And I even knew Palin from back when she first ran for governor and she was a little, well,...Alaskan, nothing bad about that, but boy what a caricature she's become. Anyway, where was I,...ah yes, I do hate hotels.

nite all!

Ummm...okay.

I've been wondering for just a few years now, why the left gets bent outta shape over the increasing cost of HC, but not the increasing cost of college ED.

College ED cost have far exceded the cost of HC, by leaps and bounds.

The main reason is collegs can charge whatever they want knowing that students can get loans and grants to cover the entire cost. and it 'easy' to convice a kid he will have no problem paying it back after he gets a job.

I've been wondering for just a few years now, why the left gets bent outta shape over the increasing cost of HC, but not the increasing cost of college ED.

The main reason is collegs can charge whatever they want knowing that students can get loans and grants to cover the entire cost. and it 'easy' to convice a kid he will have no problem paying it back after he gets a job.

So that is your vision for America. Not only to have Americans with less health care, meaning higher infant mortality and shorter lifespans, but also to have us less educated. Truly the Conservative plan for a third world United States.

So that is your vision for America. Not only to have Americans with less health care, meaning higher infant mortality and shorter lifespans, but also to have us less educated. Truly the Conservative plan for a third world United States.

Lying again or are you to dumb to understand?

rhetorical question. we all know you are lying.

So I will repeat, just in case you are to dumb.

The left wants to lower HC premiums, but not the cost of college.

The proof is in their actions.

Now try to be a grow up and stop pretending that you care about people dying, and tell me why you want people to have to turn to the government to get money for college then be thier bitches for years afterwards?

Forum List

Back