Where is the actual demand for "high speed rail"

We have a looooooong way to go in this country regarding train efficiency. The Europeans and the Japanese know how to do it. Reliable and on time.

Also in America there's a "I'd rather travel in my own car" mindset.

We have a looooooong way to go in this country regarding train efficiency. The Europeans and the Japanese know how to do it. Reliable and on time.

That is just it, getting to & from the train still requires a car. So you might as well drive your own.

Van-pools, motorcycles & hybrids are more efficient than commuter trains, planes & buses. (Buses rank as the least efficient mode of passenger transport) Only the HSR leg of the trip on a properly built electric HSR system is more efficient.

Last edited:

That is just it, getting to & from the train still requires a car. So you might as well drive your own.

Van-pools, motorcycles & hybrids are more efficient than commuter trains, planes & buses. (Buses rank as the least efficient mode of passenger transport) Only the HSR leg of the trip on a properly built electric HSR system is more efficient.

Good point

You need an extensive public transportation system at stops for HSR. Major end points would have it, mid points probably less so

Europe and Japan have far denser land use than the US. 2006 UN #'s:

List of sovereign states and dependent territories by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

persons per square mile:

US: 83
France: 295
Denmark: 332
Switzerland: 487
Luxembourg: 502
Italy: 518
Germany: 593
UK: 660
Japan: 873

It amazes me that so many don't understand just how big the US is and how even 'big' states, like IL and NY are still primarily agricultural land. While rails are certainly practical for moving freight, not so much so for people.

List of sovereign states and dependent territories by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

persons per square mile:

It amazes me that so many don't understand just how big the US is and how even 'big' states, like IL and NY are still primarily agricultural land. While rails are certainly practical for moving freight, not so much so for people.
See I'm a big proponent of using rail to move freight. that's what I was saying yesterday. Rail should be used for freight and as a commuter option

persons per square mile:

I see right wingers post that all that vacant land mass in the US is valuable in elections rather than actual people. Very interesting.

If you democrats want to adopt China's energy saving methods then live in dorms at the workplace.

chineselaborers_lg3.JPG

If you democrats want to adopt China's energy saving methods then live in dorms at the workplace.

chineselaborers_lg3.JPG
Jack Abramoff CNMI scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jack Abramoff CNMI scandal involves the efforts of Jack Abramoff, other lobbyists, and government officials to change or prevent, or both, Congressional action regarding the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) and businesses on Saipan, its capital, commercial center, and one of its three principal islands.
Among the issues he worked on was keeping Congress from imposing the federal minimum wage for workers in the CNMI.

Abramoff took on the Northern Mariana Islands as a client in 1995. Abramoff and his law firm were paid at least $6.7 million by the CNMI government from 1995 to 2001.[1]
The CNMI is a US commonwealth and thus may apply the "Made in USA" label to goods manufactured on Saipan.

Frank Murkowski, then Republican Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, submitted a bill to extend the protection of U.S. minimum-wage labor laws to the workers in the CNMI.
In testimony before the Senate, it was described that 91% of the private-sector workforce were immigrants, and were being paid barely half the U.S. minimum hourly wage. Stories also emerged of workers forced to live behind barbed wire in squalid shacks without plumbing. A Department of the Interior report found that "Chinese women were subject to forced abortions and that women and children were subject to forced prostitution in the local sex-tourism industry." [2] The Senate passed the Murkowski worker reform bill unanimously.

<more>

Last edited:
If individual States want it,they can build it themselves. This is not a Federal issue. If California & Nevada want a High Speed Rail,than go for it. Let them levy higher Taxes on their residents and build it themselves. All of America should not be forced to pay for their rail. If their residents support it,then they should just move forward and build it. But they shouldn't demand that all of America pay for it.

persons per square mile:

I see right wingers post that all that vacant land mass in the US is valuable in elections rather than actual people. Very interesting.

Translate to English please. At this juncture somehow I believe you are referring to 'fly over land'? Yeah, prove my point if that's what you mean, regarding the retarded notion of high speed rail, outside of Northeast.

Laying high speed track is terribly expensive. There are extensive safety concerns at intersections, environmental impacts, engineering challenges. For a great distance it is cheaper to just fly over

Boulder-Denver-Longmont.

But Obama is more likely talking about promoting already existing track (eg, our light rail) which is a total sham.

Last edited:

persons per square mile:

and that if true, changes this conversation how?

Forum List

Back