Jun 28, 2009
Mansion in Ravi's Head
Low-Effort Thought Promotes Political Conservatism

Scott Eidelman [email protected]
Christian S. Crandall
Jeffrey A. Goodman
John C. Blanchar

Abstract

The authors test the hypothesis that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism. In Study 1, alcohol intoxication was measured among bar patrons; as blood alcohol level increased, so did political conservatism (controlling for sex, education, and political identification). In Study 2, participants under cognitive load reported more conservative attitudes than their no-load counterparts. In Study 3, time pressure increased participants’ endorsement of conservative terms. In Study 4, participants considering political terms in a cursory manner endorsed conservative terms more than those asked to cogitate; an indicator of effortful thought (recognition memory) partially mediated the relationship between processing effort and conservatism. Together these data suggest that political conservatism may be a process consequence of low-effort thought; when effortful, deliberate thought is disengaged, endorsement of conservative ideology increases.

Of course, I only understand like maybe 6% of the abstract.

:lol:

The full "scientific" article is here (for free): Low-Effort Thought Promotes Political Conservatism

Christian S. Crandall
Jeffrey A. Goodman
John C. Blanchar

Abstract

The authors test the hypothesis that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism. In Study 1, alcohol intoxication was measured among bar patrons; as blood alcohol level increased, so did political conservatism (controlling for sex, education, and political identification). In Study 2, participants under cognitive load reported more conservative attitudes than their no-load counterparts. In Study 3, time pressure increased participants’ endorsement of conservative terms. In Study 4, participants considering political terms in a cursory manner endorsed conservative terms more than those asked to cogitate; an indicator of effortful thought (recognition memory) partially mediated the relationship between processing effort and conservatism. Together these data suggest that political conservatism may be a process consequence of low-effort thought; when effortful, deliberate thought is disengaged, endorsement of conservative ideology increases.

The full "scientific" article is here (for free): Low-Effort Thought Promotes Political Conservatism

You do realize that you've given deany a treasure-trove of something else he can cherry-pick to prove his abstacts/pre-conceived notions?

This should be fun should he even attempt to wade through it. :D

I am still chuckling at the "study."

We argue that
low-effort thinking promotes political conservatism, not that
conservatives rely on low-effort thought.
, said the authors.

I wonder if that might mean that high effort thinking promotes liberalism?

I doubt it. My hypothesis would be that it's only high-effort for the libs because they aren't used to actually thinking.

I suggest that somebody engage in a "study" to validate that hypothesis.

How do they explain Ted Kennedy then. I am progressive but I could not resist.

Christian S. Crandall
Jeffrey A. Goodman
John C. Blanchar

Abstract

You do realize that you've given deany a treasure-trove of something else he can cherry-pick to prove his abstacts/pre-conceived notions?

This should be fun should he even attempt to wade through it. :D

I am offering rderp the opportunity to use it to his best advantage.

But I guarantee he will be able to make nothing more out of it than his usual fare of dull-witted talking pointlesses.

Christian S. Crandall
Jeffrey A. Goodman
John C. Blanchar

Abstract

But I guarantee he will be able to make nothing more out of it than his usual fare of dull-witted talking pointlesses.

Let me help via a quote

How many Republicans who aren't famous hate blacks? Let me give you a clue. The Republican Party is 90% white.

But don't worry, Republicans are "equal opportunity haters".

They hate all kinds of people:

Hispanics
scientists
poor people
feminists
gays
Muslims

the list is endless.

Last edited:
Okay, I am going to offer a purely unscientific and off the top of my head hypothesis.

If, that study is the real deal, and that's a big IF--I have long thought PhD and Doctor of Divinity students are running out of topics to do their disserations on and are really REALLY stretching in a lot of cases--the study could reinforce an opinion I have held for awhile now.

That opinion is that if you break it down concept by concept, most Americans will be mostly right of center. And we also know that alcohol relaxes inhibitions and prompts people to say what they really think, and the more drunk they get, the less they are inhibited in saying what they really think. So, those who drink are far more likely to violate their own personal reluctance to express their sociopolitical convictions and because there are more conservatives than liberals, more will express conservative views.

It isn't the alcohol at all that produces the phenomenon. The 'phenomenon' is produced because the conservatives outnumber the liberals. The alcohol just makes them more likely to talk about it.

So there you have it. A perfectly unsvcientific opinion that I don't think anybody can challenge. :)

Christian S. Crandall
Jeffrey A. Goodman
John C. Blanchar

Abstract

Let me help via a quote

How many Republicans who aren't famous hate blacks? Let me give you a clue. The Republican Party is 90% white.

But don't worry, Republicans are "equal opportunity haters".

They hate all kinds of people:

Hispanics
scientists
poor people
feminists
gays
Muslims

the list is endless.

I did not know that Rderp was the poor gay Mexican scientist named Abdul who wrote the book Heather Has 2 Mommies.
But then, I'm a Conservative, incapable of higher thought.

From the link:

Conservative political ideology in Western democracies may
be identified by several components, including an emphasis
on personal responsibility, acceptance of hierarchy, and a
preference for the status quo.

Does that sound about right? Not so sure about the "emphasis on personal responsibility" considering how they like to point fingers and take no responsibility for either the Bush years, the economy, Iraq or any other of their endless number of disasters.

Okay, I am going to offer a purely unscientific and off the top of my head hypothesis.

If, that study is the real deal, and that's a big IF--I have long thought PhD and Doctor of Divinity students are running out of topics to do their disserations on and are really REALLY stretching in a lot of cases--the study could reinforce an opinion I have held for awhile now.

That opinion is that if you break it down concept by concept, most Americans will be mostly right of center. And we also know that alcohol relaxes inhibitions and prompts people to say what they really think, and the more drunk they get, the less they are inhibited in saying what they really think. So, those who drink are far more likely to violate their own personal reluctance to express their sociopolitical convictions and because there are more conservatives than liberals, more will express conservative views.

It isn't the alcohol at all that produces the phenomenon. The 'phenomenon' is produced because the conservatives outnumber the liberals. The alcohol just makes them more likely to talk about it.

So there you have it. A perfectly unsvcientific opinion that I don't think anybody can challenge. :)

If you want a chuckle, for starters just look at how they "define" the key term "conservative."

The geniuses responsible for those "studies" think conservatives prefer the status quo.

:lmao:

Newsflash for idiots like them and rderp:

Speaking for most conservatives, I think it is fair to say that we LOATHE the way things are and we want, very dearly, to ALTER the status quo.

Forum List

Back