Where is Obama and fema in Tenn.

When people get off their asses and pull together as a community many things can be accomplished:

Metro schools to open Monday
Saturday, May 8, 2010 at 10:19pm
By E. Thomas Wood

The Metro Nashville Public Schools system sent notice to parents today that it will reopen for teaching on Monday, May 10, after a week of closures caused by the recent flooding.

School officials say all students are expected to report to school Monday, although those unable to do so because of the floods will be marked as excused absences.

Transportation of students will obviously be a complicated matter on Monday. MNPS expects a quarter of its usual bus routes, 137 of the total of 530, to be affected by road closures and other consequences of flood damage. It wants students whose usual stops are reachable by bus to wait at their usual times and places.

For others, the system will be staffing its customer service center on Sunday from noon until 5 p.m., and again starting at 5:30 Monday morning. Personnel reachable at 615-259-4636 can help with bus issues as well as the needs of displaced families — such as changes in school enrollment , registration for free or reduced-price meals and assistance obtaining school clothing.

"All parents need to be aware that travel time to and from school in affected areas may be longer than normal," a statement on the MNPS website said. "Please plan accordingly. Parents are also encouraged to stand with younger students until they board the bus," it added.

Magnet school students who normally depend on Metro Transit Authority buses will find MTA services limited, the statement warned. It suggested magnet families impacted by the situation consider carpooling.

The school system's statement also sets out policies for dealing with students flooded out of their homes. Rules pertaining to school transfers, textbook losses and standard school attire, among other issues, are to be interpreted liberally.

Metro schools to open Monday | Nashville City Paper: Nashville's Online Source for Daily News

I wouldn't think so. I doubt they exist. You can't reopen a school only a few days after its been flooded to the roof. At least, not in the same building.

I am looking for where sunshine said "in the same building".

You love to spin to fit your argument.

You should question why you must use that tactic.

"The schools are already back in session, and some of the were full of water up the the roof."

What exactly got flooded up to the roof? The physical school building, right? So in one part of the sentence, "school" refers to the actual physical building, and in the other "school" refers to the entity as an institution?

When people get off their asses and pull together as a community many things can be accomplished:

Metro schools to open Monday
Saturday, May 8, 2010 at 10:19pm
By E. Thomas Wood

The Metro Nashville Public Schools system sent notice to parents today that it will reopen for teaching on Monday, May 10, after a week of closures caused by the recent flooding.

School officials say all students are expected to report to school Monday, although those unable to do so because of the floods will be marked as excused absences.

Transportation of students will obviously be a complicated matter on Monday. MNPS expects a quarter of its usual bus routes, 137 of the total of 530, to be affected by road closures and other consequences of flood damage. It wants students whose usual stops are reachable by bus to wait at their usual times and places.

For others, the system will be staffing its customer service center on Sunday from noon until 5 p.m., and again starting at 5:30 Monday morning. Personnel reachable at 615-259-4636 can help with bus issues as well as the needs of displaced families — such as changes in school enrollment , registration for free or reduced-price meals and assistance obtaining school clothing.

"All parents need to be aware that travel time to and from school in affected areas may be longer than normal," a statement on the MNPS website said. "Please plan accordingly. Parents are also encouraged to stand with younger students until they board the bus," it added.

Magnet school students who normally depend on Metro Transit Authority buses will find MTA services limited, the statement warned. It suggested magnet families impacted by the situation consider carpooling.

The school system's statement also sets out policies for dealing with students flooded out of their homes. Rules pertaining to school transfers, textbook losses and standard school attire, among other issues, are to be interpreted liberally.

Metro schools to open Monday | Nashville City Paper: Nashville's Online Source for Daily News

Where does it say anything about them being flooded up to their rooves?

I wouldn't think so. I doubt they exist. You can't reopen a school only a few days after its been flooded to the roof. At least, not in the same building.

I am looking for where sunshine said "in the same building".

You love to spin to fit your argument.

You should question why you must use that tactic.

"The schools are already back in session, and some of the were full of water up the the roof."

What exactly got flooded up to the roof? The physical school building, right? So in one part of the sentence, "school" refers to the actual physical building, and in the other "school" refers to the entity as an institution?

You are jealous.

I think you mean "envious", and yes, if Nashville can actually get a building that was flooded up to its roof ready for general use within only a couple days, that's impressive and I envy it. I doubt it happened though.

Please tell me the name of a single school that was flooded to its roof and is already reopened on the same campus.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think you mean "envious", and yes, if Nashville can actually get a building that was flooded up to its roof ready for general use within only a couple days, that's impressive and I envy it. I doubt it happened though.

Please tell me the name of a single school that was flooded to its roof and is already reopened on the same campus.

Look it up yourself: Nashville News, Tennessee News and Local Weather from WSMV 4 News

I shouldn't have to, you've already looked it up for us.

Or it would appear, rather "made it up" for us.

When a building floods to its roof, it is not conceivably possible to get it ready for general use in only a few days. The sheer volume of trash and grime and crap and glass that will have been thrown around by the flood waters is bad enough. If the school building has sheet rock walls, you have to gut the whole thing and put up new sheet, if it has plaster or concrete walls you have to scour it with bleach - or toxic mold will form. Not to mention all the damage to the building itself - broken windows, missing roof tiles, anything wood will be fucked up, etc. - and the entire contents of the school will be generally soaked and useless and laying all over the place - books, computers, desks, you name it.

To claim that a school has reopened only a few days after being flooded to its damn roof is to claim a fucking miracle - its YOUR claim - YOU provide evidence for it, not me.

Last edited:

Look it up yourself: Nashville News, Tennessee News and Local Weather from WSMV 4 News

When a building floods to its roof, it is not conceivably possible to get it ready for general use in only a few days. The sheer volume of trash and grime and crap and glass that will have been thrown around by the flood waters is bad enough. If the school building has sheet rock walls, you have to gut the whole thing and put up new sheet, if it has plaster or concrete walls you have to scour it with bleach - or toxic mold will form. Not to mention all the damage to the building itself - broken windows, missing roof tiles, anything wood will be fucked up, etc. - and the entire contents of the school will be generally soaked and useless and laying all over the place - books, computers, desks, you name it.

To claim that a school has reopened only a few days after being flooded to its damn roof is to claim a fucking miracle - its YOUR claim - YOU provide evidence for it, not me.

I haven't ever seen a school with sheet rock walls. Clean up of Nashville schools in a week is not out of the question. It did happen. They got their ducks in a row and did it. Of course, you, being from New Orleans can't fathom such a thing. No surprises.

FEMA and the Obama administration have granted Tennessee ALL of the assistance they have asked for.

Janet Napolitano and several cabinet members have been down at the site of the disaster periodically, and FEMA has had boots on the ground since the flooding began.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0626961720100510

Here is a continuously updated report on the situation up to May 3:

Gov. Bredesen asks Obama for flood recovery help, death toll rises again | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Hours after the flooding began, the army Corps of Engineers was already working with Nashville officials.

4:45 PM
Metro officials said via a press release they are working closely with the Corps of Engineers and the National Weather Service to monitor the rise in water levels from “additional flooding in Davidson County.”

FEMA was involved starting a few hours after the flooding began:

7:35 PM
U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper guessed damages would reach the “multi-billion-dollar” level.
“This is not just a local, or a state, it’s now a national disaster with FEMA’s participation,” Cooper said. “Second, this isn’t just a 100-year flood. People are now saying this could be a 500- or 1,000-year flood.”

Craig Fugate, who serves as Obama’s FEMA administrator, said federal help was forthcoming, although he offered no official timeline.

“FEMA is here, we’re here to support, we’re part of the team,” Fugate said.

In addition, Federal Aid is being provided monetarily for damages.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0626961720100510

"We will continue to return to make sure you have all the assistance you need," said Shaun Donovan, secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, following a tour of flood-stricken areas in the sprawling city of 626,000 that is the capital of the country music industry ...

..."We are not going to wait until all the damage is cleaned up" before providing federal aid, Commerce Department Secretary Gary Locke said during the visit with HUD's Donovan. "The Small Business Administration will be in tomorrow. We want the people of the area to have good-paying jobs."

I would highly suggest, in the future, that before making baseless accusations of federal ineptitude, that you actually check to see if there is evidence to the contrary.

Do a fucking Google search for "floods in tennessee, federal assistance" for God's sake.

I haven't ever seen a school with sheet rock walls. Clean up of Nashville schools in a week is not out of the question. It did happen. They got their ducks in a row and did it. Of course, you, being from New Orleans can't fathom such a thing. No surprises.

Your claim wasn't that the schools were cleaned up - your claim was that some of them were flooded to the roof and are now opened and ready for use. Yet you cannot name a single school that was flooded to the roof, let alone one that was flooded to the roof and is open now.

If you don't want to justify your ridiculous claims with evidence, that's fine, just stop making them.

Your claim wasn't that the schools were cleaned up - your claim was that some of them were flooded to the roof and are now opened and ready for use. Yet you cannot name a single school that was flooded to the roof, let alone one that was flooded to the roof and is open now.

If you don't want to justify your ridiculous claims with evidence, that's fine, just stop making them.

If you don't like my assertions, it is YOUR responsibility to prove them false. Of course, YOU, being from NOLA, wouldn't have a fucking clue how to start.

But wait, there's more:

5/5/2010 - Federal Government Awards Flood Aid To 2 More Tennessee Counties - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

And hell, here it is from the horse's mouth, FEMA Administrator Fugate:

On the Ground, Updating President Obama on the Floods in Tennessee | The White House

May 7th

We’ve been engaged with the affected states since last Saturday when the rain began to fall, and currently have representatives on the ground in Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Louisiana to measure the damage and provide federal assistance where needed.

On Monday night I met with Governor Bredesen of Tennessee, and on Tuesday, the Governor requested, and the President signed, a federal disaster declaration for the state, standing up federal assistance by way of temporary housing and home repair grants, loans to cover losses from uninsured property, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover. The President signed a similar declaration for Alabama the day before.

To date in Tennessee:

27 counties have been declared as federal disaster areas;
Approximately 12,000 individuals have registered for FEMA assistance;
FEMA has approved over $1.5 million in federal assistance for housing and other needs.
We’re working to make sure that every request is processed rapidly, and that individuals and business owners in the affected areas have all the information and resources they need to quickly recover from these storms.

I’ll join Secretary Napolitano tomorrow in Nashville, where we’ll meet with state and local officials and receive briefings on the coordinated federal, state, and local response efforts underway.

Last edited:

If you don't like my assertions, it is YOUR responsibility to prove them false. Of course, YOU, being from NOLA, wouldn't have a fucking clue how to start.

I assert that you are an idiot.

Now prove me wrong.

Your so full of shit I can smell it all the way over here. You can't open a building only a week after its been flooded to its fucking roof - just not possible. You have absolutely no comprehension or understanding of what happens to a building when it gets flooded.

Last edited:
All this while several other major crises were happening, including the Times Square bomber, and the giant Gulf oil spill.

That Obama administration sure can multi-task.

Remember, just because the media isn't covering an event (in this case because there were a couple of other larger news stories) doesn't mean the event isn't happening.

It's like the "tree falls in the forest" analogy.

Still nothing.

It's funny how threads like this suffer sudden deaths when evidence to the contrary is presented.

Are you serious? You have NEVER seen a school with sheetrock walls? Have you ever been to a school? More than one? Do NONE of the schools in Nashville have carpet either?

Forum List

Back