Where is Grump?

Isn't he from New Zealand?

Just for him and his oh so perfect little Country.

Judge: Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do - Yahoo! News

He is... and from all accounts, it's a wonderful place.

but that poor girl....

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead, the girl's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court

Her parents needed to be smacked upside the head. Don't you think the judge did the right thing?

He is... but that poor girl....

Her parents needed to be smacked upside the head. Don't you think the judge did the right thing?

Except for the whole idea that the Government can tell you what name you can and can not use? Sucks to be her till legal age for sure. But if they were not abusing her anyway then the Government needs to BUTT out.

For the laws in that Country? Ya he did what was allowed. Wouldn't want a law like that here.

Except for the whole idea that the Government can tell you what name you can and can not use? Sucks to be her till legal age for sure. But if they were not abusing her anyway then the Government needs to BUTT out.

For the laws in that Country? Ya he did what was allowed. Wouldn't want a law like that here.

Courts here can deny a petition to change a name under various circumstances. I suspect a name like that would be one of them.

Could the courts actively intervene? I suspect it depends on why and how the family came to the attention of the Court.

How ever according to this story there is a continuing and growing problem with people in New Zealand naming their kids like this. Dr. Grump whines about us, perhaps he should clean up the retards, druggies and idiot savants that are having kids in his country?

Texas Name Change Law:

The Courts are often willing to accept name changes for almost any legitimate reason. However, the granting of a petition for change of name is discretionary with the Court. For an order of name change to be granted, the Court must find compliance with the requirements of notice and the requirements for the allegations in the Petition. You cannot change your name for a fraudulent purpose, such as to avoid debts, you cannot change to a name that could affect the rights of another person, such as a celebrity, you cannot use a curse word, racial slur, obscene and/or an offensive word as part of your name and you cannot change to a name that would cause deliberate confusion (for example, a name with punctuation and/or a number in it).

Texas Name Change FAQ

It's lovely country, trust me if you haven't been to the South Island you have to go. But if you visit go to the North Island first and then tour the South Island (they even have a French enclave in the South Island)

I love Wellington (it's in the north island but it's a lovely city) I've been there a few times.

Kiwis are different from Australians in very many ways. I think they're more reasonable and courteous than we are.

Damnit I said good stuff about NZ. I will be excommunicated.

The judge in NZ didn't intervene at birth, did he honey?

Try again.

Are you having one of your "moments" Jillian. Do keep up, here let me spell it out slow and easy for you, so that even your Son could understand.

The parents named the child. The parents made NO request for a name change. The Judge seized the child, put her under State Control and HE, not the parents, CHANGED the name.

Further in New Zealand they have a Registry, When you propose to name your child the Government HAS TO APPROVE at birth the name you chose.

Does that help Dear? All caught up now? We on the same sheet of Music?

Are you having one of your "moments" Jillian. Do keep up, here let me spell it out slow and easy for you, so that even your Son could understand.

The parents named the child. The parents made NO request for a name change. The Judge seized the child, put her under State Control and HE, not the parents, CHANGED the name.

Further in New Zealand they have a Registry, When you propose to name your child the Government HAS TO APPROVE at birth the name you chose.

Does that help Dear? All caught up now? We on the same sheet of Music?

And then the parents brought the matter before the Court when they got divorced. The Court then had the right to look into it. And the poor kid wouldn't even tell people her name.

I'm okay with it.

Are you caught up now?

And then the parents brought the matter before the Court when they got divorced. The Court then had the right to look into it. And the poor kid wouldn't even tell people her name.

I'm okay with it.

Are you caught up now?

Wrong, the Court was NOT asked at all about the name. Read the piece, The Judge made that decision on his own.

Did I say the Court was asked?

Read carefully.

You can pretend you did not screw up all you want Jillian, your posts are here to be read. You kept claiming that because person A WANTS to change their name and a court can disagree, it is the same as a Court ORDERING person B's name changed against the wishes of the parents. You kept arguing that because our Courts can intervene in a name change of choice that is the same as a Registry that tells you what name you can and can not give your new born child.

Forum List

Back