Where is FEMA?

My sister just got power back late yesterday. They were without electricity for a week. Her grandson that lives with her has asthma, the heat indexes were well over 100. She paid $750.00 for a generator Friday, the second to last one Home Depot had. She talked to FEMA yesterday and they told her they would only give her $600 for the generator and only because of the grandson with asthma. Nothing for the $100.00 worth of gas it took to run the generator for two days, about $500.00 total. If she had not bought the generator and a neighbor let her use a small window ac, he might well have ended up in the hospital.

She said FEMA was rude and she hopes everyone survives in spite of them. They have had at least one heat related death, what's it going to take to ensure more people don't die.

There is no reason for them not to have had power for a week, they didn't get flooded and most damage was from wind.

Last edited:
My sister just got power back late yesterday. They were without electricity for a week. Her grandson that lives with her has asthma, the heat indexes were well over 100. She paid $750.00 for a generator Friday, the second to last one Home Depot had. She talked to FEMA yesterday and they told her they would only give her $600 for the generator and only because of the grandson with asthma. Nothing for the $100.00 worth of gas it took to run the generator for two days, about $500.00 total. If she had not bought the generator and a neighbor let her use a small window ac, he might well have ended up in the hospital.

She said FEMA was rude and she hopes everyone survives in spite of them. They have had at least one heat related death, what's it going to take to ensure more people don't die.

There is no reason for them not to have had power for a week, they didn't get flooded and most damage was from wind.

$600, she's lucky. I only got $250 from them for my generator after Wilma and we were without power for 2 weeks.

Oh, btw, tell her she's welcome for using my tax dollars to pay for her lack of electricity.

damn where are all these buy back generators? i would love to have one....i am looking at one that runs about $3,200......i would be hard pressed to buy it...i can do without electric for a while....we have been weeks without electric due to snow storms and/or floods....you could make a nice little bit of coin buying generators back....for 10% more than fema would pay...and reselling them...but now i am curious where are all these buy back generators?

Power companies cut back their labor forces years ago.
The no power is a corporate thing not a govt thing.

and think got the future yearned for by right wingers.
Smaller govt means smaller FEMA and such as well.

Last edited:

$600, she's lucky. I only got $250 from them for my generator after Wilma and we were without power for 2 weeks.

Oh, btw, tell her she's welcome for using my tax dollars to pay for her lack of electricity.

What is all this? I had to buy my own generators no one helped me buy them.

You should have gone home and called 211. :D

She has an asthmatic child living with her (did you miss that?), she's been out of work since April, I guess you'd rather he just die.

She has an asthmatic child living with her (did you miss that?), she's been out of work since April, I guess you'd rather he just die.
Where did I say that? It looks like FEMA saved her ass and she should be grateful instead of bitching about it and using the child as a tool.

Where did I say that? It looks like FEMA saved her ass and she should be grateful instead of bitching about it and using the child as a tool.

And yet after Katrina you all whined like 5 year olds about FEMA. Guess that was different right?

Strange, the reply that destroyed the op premise didn't get a reply.

No they dont over see it. But they can exert leadership and guidance.

Did anyone give the democrats the definition of leadership...???? It has been noticeably absent in all phases of governance.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/244430-where-is-fema.html
The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (FEMA) does not oversee the repair of the electricty grid, Sarge

Private sector, for-profit electricity companies do.

Strange, the reply that destroyed the op premise didn't get a reply.
Not quite.

FEMA doesn't directly restore power, apparently they hire contractors to do it:
Help FEMA Restore Power during Natural Disasters, Floods, Ice Storms or Black Outs - ElecCommPS

FEMA has a page that lists requirements for funding of Electrical Restoration Projects where applicable:
Electric Utility Repair | FEMA.gov

EDIT: That's why it's called Federal Emergency MANAGEMENT Agency and not Federal Emergency Do Everything FOR YOU Agency.

Last edited:
We had an ice storm that knocked out pwer for two weeks, freezing temps, heavy snow and ice, yet i ask for no help and stayed in my house with the use of fires outside and a kerosene heater in the house, and lanterns for light.

Forum List

Back