Where is al Qaeda Central?

R

rdean

When Republicans on this site talk about the "need for torture", they refer to "getting information" about "al Qaeda" plans.

The following, while over a year old, still seems to be a pretty good summation of the current state of al Qaeda:

Is Al-Qaeda's Central Leadership Still Relevant? :: Middle East Quarterly

After U.S. forces eliminated the group's safe haven in Afghanistan in late 2001, many argued that Al-Qaeda had transformed into a decentralized organization with little vertical hierarchy, that it had become "more of an ideology than an organization.

There is a clear separation between the leadership and lower ranking operatives. A central command joins terrorists with specific skill sets across regions, tasks smaller cells, and provides financial and logistical resources.

There might be a few thousand people out there claiming to be al Qaeda members, but the real al Qaeda does not exercise any control over them. They are not coordinated in their operations or even working toward a common goal. And while many of these new al Qaedas might be competent militant groups, they lack the combination of strategic vision and obsession with security that ultimately allowed the original al Qaeda to move mountains. … The United States is now waging a war against jihadism as a phenomenon, rather than against any specific transnational jihadist movement.

---------------------------------

Torturing for information from people who don't know anything about a "central organization" that doesn't exist is counter productive.

The US needs to develop a thoughtful, coherent strategy to defeat al Qaeda. The current failed Republican strategy of "invade, bomb and kill" has shown to be a greater "recruitment tool" for al Qaeda than a deterrent for radical Islamic terrorists activity.

After years of failure in foreign affairs, the Republicans are the very last people we should be listening too. It's as if al Qaeda personally had a hand in designing Republican foreign policy for the effectiveness it's shown.

Obama promised to capture or kill bin Laden.

Does he not realize that terrorists will use his harsh rhetoric and Cowboy diplomacy as a recruiting tool?

Where are our allies?

Obama took his eye off bin Laden to go to Copenhagen, first for the Chicago Olympics, then to support the debunked "Science" of AGW.

So sad

this was already talked to death in another thread. they are de-centralized with groups in a bunch of different regions. bin laden was a fall back guy he wasn't even a real leader at the time and is dead now. what you are seeing in yemen now is the joining of the group that failed to overthrow saudi arabia with the few guys who were holding down bases in yemen before. they are refered to AQAP and are pretty much useless now since their bases were destroyed and top leaders killed in the last month. at best they will join up with some other small cells and recruits pissed from recent attacks and form something, but its seriously doubtful the group will be meaningful.

Obama took his eye off bin Laden to go to Copenhagen, first for the Chicago Olympics, then to support the debunked "Science" of AGW.

So sad

Wow, a trifecta.

Stupid #1 - Obama took his eyes off of Bin Laden to go to Copenhagen.

Stupid #2 - "Science" is "debunked".

Stupid #3 - A reminder that Republicans let Bin Laden go scott free.

Congratulations. You win tonight's "booby prize" as the best "boob".

tri·fec·ta (tr-fkt)
n.
A system of betting in which the bettor must pick the first three winners in the correct sequence. Also called triple.

this was already talked to death in another thread. they are de-centralized with groups in a bunch of different regions. bin laden was a fall back guy he wasn't even a real leader at the time and is dead now. what you are seeing in yemen now is the joining of the group that failed to overthrow saudi arabia with the few guys who were holding down bases in yemen before. they are refered to AQAP and are pretty much useless now since their bases were destroyed and top leaders killed in the last month. at best they will join up with some other small cells and recruits pissed from recent attacks and form something, but its seriously doubtful the group will be meaningful.

I must have missed that thread.

The only reason I started it was because on another thread, right wingers were writing about how we need to torture to get "secrets" about al Qaeda "plots". Their answer is "drop bombs" and "invade". Why that won't work seems so simple. So easy to understand. Guess not.

There is a movie call the "Shadow". Near he end, Tim Currey starts shooting everywhere and laughing hysterically in fear. This is today's Republicans. They will bring destruction with their fear and ignorance. al Qaeda is playing "chess". They want to play "dodge-ball".

Al Quaeda and Bin Laden chase will exist so long as it helps to get public support for invasions...for oil/oil routes.

Where's bin Laden?

Ask the Republicans. They gave him an 8 year head start. I always thought that was part of their "plan".

Actually, Pres. Clinton was the one who gave Bin Laden several years head start. :doubt:

Oh that's right. I forgot. My bad. Everyone is under the "delusion" that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch. That he was "warned" with intel and documents. According to conservatives, 9/11 actually happened on Clinton's watch. Of course, all the accusations about blowjobs, they probably assume he took his eye off the, pardon the word, "ball".

Are conservatives doing the same thing, trying once again to "bring down" another president? One of these days, they might actually decide they want the country to succeed, and not just for the very rich. But for the middle class too. They haven't figured out it's the middle class that's the backbone of the country, and not the "very rich".

Ask the Republicans. They gave him an 8 year head start. I always thought that was part of their "plan".

Actually, Pres. Clinton was the one who gave Bin Laden several years head start. :doubt:

Oh that's right. I forgot. My bad. Everyone is under the "delusion" that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch. That he was "warned" with intel and documents. According to conservatives, 9/11 actually happened on Clinton's watch. Of course, all the accusations about blowjobs, they probably assume he took his eye off the, pardon the word, "ball".

Are conservatives doing the same thing, trying once again to "bring down" another president. One of these days, they much actually decide they want the country to succeed, and not just for the very rich. But for the middle class too. They haven't figured out it's the middle class that's the backbone of the country, and not the "very rich".

it has nothing to do with blowjobs, you dumbfuck. you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Although I am an Obamabot.

I have to tell the truth.

And the truth is that Clinton and the Democrats are to blame for Bin Laden and 9/11 :cool:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back