Where have you been?

Someone commented to me the other day that the only Americans who have traveled are CEOs and military people. I am neither, but as a nurse have gotten to travel a fair amount. So where have you been? Do you agree with the comment about CEOs and military people?
I do not agree with the comment. I am neither and I've traveled a lot.

48 states
Canada
Mexico
Nicaragua
Honduras
Bahamas

England
Ireland
France
Germany
Austria
Belgium
Switzerland
Monaco
Luxembourg

A-stan
Kuwait

And, going to Israel this week.

I have never ventured out of the good ole United States Of America, but I have been to about 40 states thus far.
The only states I haven't been able to see yet, are the New England states....which I would love to see Vermont in the fall and New York at Christmas time.
But I have been to every other state.......and if I ever was to see another country, Greece would be my first choice.

Andorra
Antigua
Australia
Bahamas
Barbados
Belgium
Belize
Botswana
Bulgaria
Canada
Cuba
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Greece
Grenada
Indonesia
Iran
Israel
Ivory coast
Ireland
Jordan
Kenya
Lebanon
Lesotho
Lithuania
Malaysia
Malta
Mexico
Morocco
Namibia
Netherlands
Netherlands Antilles
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Singapore
Slovenia
South Africa
Spain
Swaziland
Tanzania
Thailand
Trinidad
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
United States
Virgin Islands
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Yes, as someone speculated, I want to see who has traveled and if they are CEOs or military. While I practice in a clinic, I am CEO of a company I started. But so far, none of my travel has been in that capacity, although being a nurse has taken me many places. I used to do presentations for pharmaceutical companies and they sent me a lot of places.

Here's my list. MY international travel days are probably over, but I still hope to go to the north west. My husband always wanted to go to Salt Lake City and before he died, I promised to be his eyes and go there, but I haven't yet. I envision a long AmTrak trip making a circle up through the north west down through California wine country and back through Utah and Colorado. One day. A lot of my travel has been professional and, having gone to hospitals and clinics in China and Egypt, I count myself lucky not to have contracted some disease weirder than the one I currently have.

Several years ago I got a horoscope that told me I would die married to a foreigner or living in a foreign country. My son in law is Canadian and he and my daughter have made noises about going to live in Canada, so that may come to pass even though I would much prefer a warmer climate.

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
Pennsylvania
New York
Virginia
North Carolina
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Missouri
Kentucky
Indiana
Ohio
New Mexico
Louisiana
Arkansas
Illinois
Nevada
Arizona
D.C.
New Jersey

China
Egypt
Canada

I've been to Hell and back. Actually, there's a town on Grand Cayman named hell. I'm not particularly well traveled, but have been to Canada, Mexico, Cayman Islands The Bahamas and England. One day, I hope to sit on the beach at Havana and smoke a cigar.

Yes, as someone speculated, I want to see who has traveled and if they are CEOs or military. While I practice in a clinic, I am CEO of a company I started. But so far, none of my travel has been in that capacity, although being a nurse has taken me many places. I used to do presentations for pharmaceutical companies and they sent me a lot of places.

Here's my list. MY international travel days are probably over, but I still hope to go to the north west. My husband always wanted to go to Salt Lake City and before he died, I promised to be his eyes and go there, but I haven't yet. I envision a long AmTrak trip making a circle up through the north west down through California wine country and back through Utah and Colorado. One day. A lot of my travel has been professional and, having gone to hospitals and clinics in China and Egypt, I count myself lucky not to have contracted some disease weirder than the one I currently have.

Several years ago I got a horoscope that told me I would die married to a foreigner or living in a foreign country. My son in law is Canadian and he and my daughter have made noises about going to live in Canada, so that may come to pass even though I would much prefer a warmer climate.

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
Pennsylvania
New York
Virginia
North Carolina
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Missouri
Kentucky
Indiana
Ohio
New Mexico
Louisiana
Arkansas
Illinois
Nevada
Arizona
D.C.
New Jersey

China
Egypt
Canada

Traveling within your country of origin is hardly 'travel'.

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
Pennsylvania
New York
Virginia
North Carolina
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Missouri
Kentucky
Indiana
Ohio
New Mexico
Louisiana
Arkansas
Illinois
Nevada
Arizona
D.C.
New Jersey

China
Egypt
Canada

Then AmTrak should be free!

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
Pennsylvania
New York
Virginia
North Carolina
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Missouri
Kentucky
Indiana
Ohio
New Mexico
Louisiana
Arkansas
Illinois
Nevada
Arizona
D.C.
New Jersey

China
Egypt
Canada

Then AmTrak should be free!

Why?

Should gas be free too?

Domestic air travel?

Do you feel as stupid as your posts?

I've been to Hell and back. Actually, there's a town on Grand Cayman named hell. I'm not particularly well traveled, but have been to Canada, Mexico, Cayman Islands The Bahamas and England. One day, I hope to sit on the beach at Havana and smoke a cigar.
Head on down ! OH. That's right, people in the land of the free aren't allowed.:cuckoo:

What I think the original idea with the comments was to high light that American's in general dont travel abroad that much... which is factually true.. why should they, they have most things in their back yard after all. You have skiing in Colorado, surf in Hawaii and retirement homes in Florida. You have natural wonders in Yosemite or the North West of the country and so and so on. No real reason to leave the US unless you want some historical trip or see other cultures.

Now personalty as a European I have lived in Denmark (born), Saudi Arabia and Spain for longer periods, as well as traveled to the US, Japan, South Korea, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Italy, Greece, Cyrpus, Turkey, Baharain, Egypt, Lebanon (pre civil war), Morocco, Sweden and probably a few places I have forgotten.

Point is, Europeans in most cases go abroad (Spain, France usually) for holidays, where as Americans mostly stay in country (relatively speaking). Take Sarah Palin. She only got her first passport around the time she ran for VP. Why? Because she had no need, since she could go to say Florida or California for a beach sun holiday. As a Dane or Brit, we need to go to Spain or France for that.. well at least at days at a time :eusa_whistle:

This is an excellent point and it's this way because of our size. I think Americans take for granted what a massive country we are. Consider that by comparison Germany is roughly the same size as Oregon and one starts to put things into perspective. I recall when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans a German friend of mine asked if I was safe. I lived in Arizona at the time. I explained that New Orleans was 2,000 miles away and he laughed. He asked "no seriously how far away is it?" I said "2,000 miles". The point that Pete makes here is spot on. That being said here is my list:

38 states + D.C.
Great Britain
France
Norway
Germany
Netherlands
Denmark
Spain
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
Canada
Mexico

Great comments, Pete and Phantom.

We forget about our size in a lot of ways. Including when we try to compare the politics and management issues of smaller nations with the politics and administration of our own.

jmho

Forum List

Back