CDZ Where have all the Liberals gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up through the 1970's, I can remember having lively yet respectful debates with my liberal friends on a host of political issues. After that time, such debates became less and less frequent and more likely to end up in acrimonious responses to the same questions I had previously posed. Nowadays, it is extremely unlikely to find anyone of a liberal persuasion who is willing to discuss any political issue without immediately resorting to personal attacks.

What happened to these people? My theory is that, essentially having won the debate over the size and scope of federal programs, they are now defensive about the lack of societal benefits these programs were supposed to achieve and are seeking to impose ever more radical "solutions" on a recalcitrant public in order to achieve them. In this vein, anyone with contrary views is considered a saboteur of their good intentions.

What is you theory?

Get the fuck over yourself. Have you SEEN what raving lunatics the right has become? Take a look at this forum to see your conservative friends in all of their hostile glory. There is no "rational debate" with at least 50% of you.

There is no rational debate because the vast majority of "liberals"refuse to accept or to acknowledge any facts or information that gets to the basis of any argument that doesn't suit their agenda.

I can't even get a "liberal" to quote, post and accept the current LEGAL definition for what a natural person is, for fucks sake.

If you discount the answers I gave because I don't fit your definition of a liberal disregard below.

Otherwise I refute your accusation no one provided you with a definition. Your problem was I provided you with an effective definition based on how law enforcement and the judiciary enforce laws in real life and you did not like it.

An unlike button would have saved me the trouble of responding in such a harsh manner but I am trying to be concise.

Have a good evening.

Quote the legal definition for a natural person from a LEGAL DICTIONARY and link to the source.

Then, tell me if you agree that that definition is "common" to all sides in the debate about "personhood" and what constitutes a "natural person."

Can you do that?

I'm betting you can't.

Last edited:
Up through the 1970's, I can remember having lively yet respectful debates with my liberal friends on a host of political issues. After that time, such debates became less and less frequent and more likely to end up in acrimonious responses to the same questions I had previously posed. Nowadays, it is extremely unlikely to find anyone of a liberal persuasion who is willing to discuss any political issue without immediately resorting to personal attacks.

What happened to these people? My theory is that, essentially having won the debate over the size and scope of federal programs, they are now defensive about the lack of societal benefits these programs were supposed to achieve and are seeking to impose ever more radical "solutions" on a recalcitrant public in order to achieve them. In this vein, anyone with contrary views is considered a saboteur of their good intentions.

What is you theory?

People get to hide behind the internet, so they get to insult more. I don't resort to insults, but I have plenty of right wingers on my ignore list who can't help themselves.

They did not win the debate - that is the nature of progressivism. There is no 'win' simply movement to an ultimate goal that cannot ever truly be reached.

I think that the problem with finding anyone that is willing to have an honest debate anymore is that politics has devolved into a team sport where the issues no longer truly matter. All that matters is that they are 'right' and the proof of that is the other side is simply downright evil. It is plastered all over the boards here.

It is impossible to have a decent debate without respect for the other side and their views. Such respect has vanished.

This thread, even on the Polite Board, cannot get a start for the recriminations, the ground rules for a debate can't even be agreed on.

I will try,

We owe $20 trillion.

I m a Conservative. I think that is a bad thing. I also think it was run up mostly by Liberal Democrats whose most reliable constituency are people who like Free Stuff.

Usually, a Liberal comes back with: "Well, I'm tired of buying missiles".

And, I say the the Preamble to the Constitution uses "provide for the common defense" First, because we have to be safe before we can "promote the general welfare"....and I also note that the society known as The Roman Empire...rose to an unmatched pinnacle (until The Great American Civilization) and stayed there for a very long time....following this philosophy:

"The Romans kept peace by a constant preparation for war." Gibbon

But as to the General Welfare, we start with people who really can't work, widows with young children the disabled, and as we grow in wealth, we continue to expand what we do for citizens down on their luck people....and the more we do....the more people there are who get down on their luck (its human nature)...and the less they are responsible for themselves...and the taxes start to get higher to pay for them...until the Working Man, like me, the Productive Citizens.....refuse to pay more....we have our own families to think about.

And so taxes can't be raised any more...and the borrowing commences in earnest...and every time the Debt Ceiling needs to be raised, the Democrats are all for it...and they throw a Granny in a wheel chair off a cliff and the Republicans cave because they are cowards.

This always gets me a "blame the Rich Argument" but that's just Marx coming out of his grave, yet again. There aren't enough rich to pay for all the Porch Sitters we have now in America and all the programs for the Porch Sitters....the Middle Class, the Productive People, like me.....have to carry the load.

Lyndon Baines Johnson crated the first Welfare Queen in about 1965. Affirmative Action, The War on Poverty, The Great Society...destroyed the Black Family. And along the way it created new Welfare Queens like crazy. And why wouldn't it?

A 16 year old unwed mother who has yet another illegitimate baby at 17 years old, sees herself as "getting a raise" financial-wise..and if she puts out four, no man ever to be found...she can qualify for enough benefits to make about what a whole lot of us Productive People make...without the stress of a boss and a job.

What do you expect Human Nature to do? If a Subsistence is assured...a whole lot of people will just sit on the Porch. It has always been so.

The productive people themselves get frustrated, give up...many become Porch Sitters too...a mother load rolls in illegally from Mexico...and now Marx is truly out of his grave.

How Do you Liberals justify loading up our children and grand-children with 20 trillion in debt when you know its unsustainable?

All great societies take care of their people who can't take care of themselves.

Time do get those that DON'T off their Front Porch or out of this country.

Join with me in your hatred of Nixon, Reagan, Bush 1 & 2 and Obama for while Obama inherited probably the 2nd worse mess of modern times he fixed it in a similar way to how Ronald did.

We all have our prejudices....and as a Conservative, and someone who had occasion to see what Bill Clinton was forcing Banks to do under the Jimmy Carter's Community Reinvestment Act, here is what I see in your Graph:

1) The surplus under Clinton was mainly a Surplus under Newt Gringrich and the Congress elected under the last semi-rebellion of the Productive Americans. New York Media credits Clinton, but I remember just watching him go along with what he saw that the American People were demanding.

2) In the meantime, he wa forcing banks to loan money to un-creditworthy borrowers. It got to the point, through manipulations by Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac (Now busted out) where a Welfare payment qualified as income for a loan.

George Bush tried to put a stop to it, and Barney Frank called him a Racist for his efforts....also assured America that Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac were solvent, only a little while before they went belly up because of loan guaranties for Borrowers who should never have qualified for the loans.

New York Media blamed Bush and Republicans for the Bank Bust, of course, but it was Clinton & the Democrats who caused it, although it is true that Wall Street got into the action on the Real Estate Bubble created by Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac there at the end....and much complicated the ultimate Bust Out. But, as near as I can tell, while Democrats love to cuss Wall Street, it is made up mostly of Democrats anyway. And it certainly seems to own most Democrats--see Hillary Clinton.

What is you theory?

My experience is the reverse. In the 60's and 70's most of the clueless ideologues were on the left. Now they are on the right. Personally, I think that ultimately social media is unsuited for serious discussion of important issues. Civility evaporates with perceived anonymity. Name-calling and repetition of defective logic and false "facts" have replaced any chance of reasonable discussion. Check out just about any thread on this board. Most all of the people, right or left, that I met on this board three or four years ago who had posted in fora in which they had some expertise have left in disgust.
Democrats are too PC to recognize their problems with voters. You cannot embrace groups that advocate the murder of police officers and expect to win White working class voters.

Each side has its extremists. Most progressives are repulsed by attacks on law enforcement personnel. I recall the standoff when I watched on national television while a small right-wing group lined an overpass and sighted in law enforcement with impunity. Most Americans regardless of politics reacted with disgust to this and the rhetoric being used to justify it. I think most conservatives are appalled by political violence as are most liberals. So let's drop these red herring arguments.

What is you theory?

Get the fuck over yourself. Have you SEEN what raving lunatics the right has become? Take a look at this forum to see your conservative friends in all of their hostile glory. There is no "rational debate" with at least 50% of you.

There is no rational debate because the vast majority of "liberals"refuse to accept or to acknowledge any facts or information that gets to the basis of any argument that doesn't suit their agenda.

I can't even get a "liberal" to quote, post and accept the current LEGAL definition for what a natural person is, for fucks sake.

If you discount the answers I gave because I don't fit your definition of a liberal disregard below.

Otherwise I refute your accusation no one provided you with a definition. Your problem was I provided you with an effective definition based on how law enforcement and the judiciary enforce laws in real life and you did not like it.

An unlike button would have saved me the trouble of responding in such a harsh manner but I am trying to be concise.

Have a good evening.

Quote the legal definition for a natural person from a LEGAL DICTIONARY and link to the source.

Then, tell me if you agree that that definition is "common" to all sides in the debate about "personhood" and what constitutes a "natural person."

Can you do that?

I'm betting you can't.

Let me try again.

Green pelican Spencer upload Republican options Liberal reply.

There is a string of words which have no effective meaning together.

The effective, real life in American definition is it is largely up to the pregnant woman in question as she will not be charged with murder for having an abortion and a man assaulting her who causes the death of the fetus will be charged with murder.

That is the common, unifying truth which largely governs Americans and decides if we get to keep exercising our right to a pursuit of happiness or go to jail. Anything else is a game of semantics.

What is you theory?

Have a good evening.

Can you do that?

I'm betting you can't.

Let me try again.

The effective, real life in American definition is it is largely up to the pregnant woman in question as she will not be charged with murder for having an abortion and a man assaulting her who causes the death of the fetus will be charged with murder.

That is the common, unifying truth which largely governs Americans and decides if we get to keep exercising our right to a pursuit of happiness or go to jail. Anything else is a game of semantics.

"Truth" is an oxymoron when used as a debate tactic.

What is you theory?

Have a good evening.

Can you do that?

I'm betting you can't.

Let me try again.

What is you theory?

Have a good evening.

Can you do that?

I'm betting you can't.

Let me try again.

Ok, let's do this.

Quote the legal definition of a "natural person." Link to the source of that definition and then explain (if you must) why that definition is WRONG. Then, explain WHY the current legal situation that you described should be regarded OVER the one from the legal dictionary.

Last edited:
I am finding it equally difficult to find "conservatives" who will engage in a civil debate with me on topics which we disagree on.

Then you are not looking very hard. Moral equivalency is not a legitimate argument when one party commits 90% of the transgressions.
I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here. Which party are you saying "commits 90% of the transgressions"?

This thread, even on the Polite Board, cannot get a start for the recriminations, the ground rules for a debate can't even be agreed on.

I will try,

We owe $20 trillion.

I m a Conservative. I think that is a bad thing. I also think it was run up mostly by Liberal Democrats whose most reliable constituency are people who like Free Stuff.

And, I say the the Preamble to the Constitution uses "provide for the common defense" First, because we have to be safe before we can "promote the general welfare"....and I also note that the society known as The Roman Empire...rose to an unmatched pinnacle (until The Great American Civilization) and stayed there for a very long time....following this philosophy:

But as to the General Welfare, we start with people who really can't work, widows with young children the disabled, and as we grow in wealth, we continue to expand what we do for citizens down on their luck people....and the more we do....the more people there are who get down on their luck (its human nature)...and the less they are responsible for themselves...and the taxes start to get higher to pay for them...until the Working Man, like me, the Productive Citizens.....refuse to pay more....we have our own families to think about.

And so taxes can't be raised any more...and the borrowing commences in earnest...and every time the Debt Ceiling needs to be raised, the Democrats are all for it...and they throw a Granny in a wheel chair off a cliff and the Republicans cave because they are cowards.

This always gets me a "blame the Rich Argument" but that's just Marx coming out of his grave, yet again. There aren't enough rich to pay for all the Porch Sitters we have now in America and all the programs for the Porch Sitters....the Middle Class, the Productive People, like me.....have to carry the load.

Lyndon Baines Johnson crated the first Welfare Queen in about 1965. Affirmative Action, The War on Poverty, The Great Society...destroyed the Black Family. And along the way it created new Welfare Queens like crazy. And why wouldn't it?

A 16 year old unwed mother who has yet another illegitimate baby at 17 years old, sees herself as "getting a raise" financial-wise..and if she puts out four, no man ever to be found...she can qualify for enough benefits to make about what a whole lot of us Productive People make...without the stress of a boss and a job.

What do you expect Human Nature to do? If a Subsistence is assured...a whole lot of people will just sit on the Porch. It has always been so.

The productive people themselves get frustrated, give up...many become Porch Sitters too...a mother load rolls in illegally from Mexico...and now Marx is truly out of his grave.

How Do you Liberals justify loading up our children and grand-children with 20 trillion in debt when you know its unsustainable?

All great societies take care of their people who can't take care of themselves.

Third, and most important IMHO, what are you doing/willing to do yourself?

I will try,

We owe $20 trillion.

Third, and most important IMHO, what are you doing/willing to do yourself?

The Gringrich Congress and Clinton got off to a start....get them off Welfare after a couple of years. (Bush relaxed that; then Obama killed it)

But, I have been watching the phenomena of the Inter-Generational Porch Sitter for decades, and the only thing I see any real hope in...now that we have a full blown Porch Sitter Class, nurtured and defended by Democrats...is an approach that both Conservatives and Liberals would likely hate.

Probably won't be ready for it until the country has busted out.

And that is to Pay Unmarried Girls, age 15 to 18 not to get pregnant.

It would have to start as a pilot program....strickly Voluntary...in a few of the worst areas....some boroughs of Chicago of course...maybe some in Los Angeles...one or so in some place like Birmingham or Memphis. They go to their local Health Care office...get all the condums or other birth control they want for free...and they register....then check back every other month...take one of those cheap quick pregnancy tests....and if they are not pregnant...they get a check. How much I don't know, but for every child an unmarried teenage mother doesn't create in South Chicago, obviously will save the Tax Payer a fortune...almost every one thus created turns into another Welfare Queen or a Druggie who works his way in and out of the Penal System throughout life.

As to those working their way through the Penal System, we need to go back to Work Release. Those who Volunteer could reduce their sentences by riding a well-guarded Bus out to pick Oranges in California during the season, and that would lessen the need for illegal Mexicans who quit picking oranges and go on Welfare as soon as they can, as a rule.

There must be something done to re-instill into America those things which made it great---Jeffersonian Ideals of Self-Reliance, Individual Responsibility, Work Ethic...Meritocracy.

But the Bolsheviks (Democrats) would scream; And the Pussies (Republicans) couldn't stand the heat they would get from the New York Media, particularly since the possible benefits wouldn't become apparent until after the next election.

The only other answer, ultimately, is complete Socialism, then collapse. It even happened to the Romans eventually, and for the same reasons we are seeing in America. Porch Sitters and out-of-control immigration looking to suck off a free & generous tit.

Last edited:

What is you theory?
This is what happened to them.

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here. Which party are you saying "commits 90% of the transgressions"?

OK, let's start at the top: Corrupt* Presidents over the past 40 years.

Carter - Not corrupt
Reagan - Not Corrupt
Bush 41 - Not Corrupt
Clinton - Corrupt
Bush 43 - Not Corrupt
Obama - Corrupt

Dems 2, Reps 0.

*Corrupt means selling favors or lying to the public for personal or political gain.

What is you theory?
This is what happened to them.

Excellent vid. Thanks for sharing it.

[*Corrupt means selling favors or lying to the public for personal or political gain.

Which none of the democrats did, but most of the Republicans did.

The data bears that out. This data is taken from List of federal political scandals in the United States - Wikipedia

The first number is indictments, second number is convictions.

Obama 0 0
Carter 1 0
Clinton 2 1
Bush1 1 1
Ford 1 1
Bush2 16 16
Reagan 26 16
Nixon 76 55

Obama ran the cleanest administration of our lifetimes. The admins of Bush2, Reagan and Nixon were rife with corruption. Those points are not debatable by any honest person.

[*Corrupt means selling favors or lying to the public for personal or political gain.

Which none of the democrats did, but most of the Republicans did.

The data bears that out. This data is taken from List of federal political scandals in the United States - Wikipedia

The first number is indictments, second number is convictions.

Obama 0 0
Carter 1 0
Clinton 2 1
Bush1 1 1
Ford 1 1
Bush2 16 16
Reagan 26 16
Nixon 76 55

Obama ran the cleanest administration of our lifetimes. The admins of Bush2, Reagan and Nixon were rife with corruption. Those points are not debatable by any honest person.[/QUOT

I am an honest person, and I propose to debate it.

The first thing Obama did as president...the first important thing he did....and one of the most important things..was get his Butt-boy Eric Rice put in charge of the Justice Department.

The paucity of Democrats going to jail in the lat 8 years for corruption...criminal political operatives like Lois Lerner...is directly traceable to the fact threat the Justice Department was corrupted by Barack Obama and Eric Holder and after him Loretta Lynch.

If you can control the Justice department, you are one step away from a Dictatorship.

Don Trump is the biggest Monkey Wrench in the History of Marxists Take-Overs.

One of the consequences is that Democrats will be going to jail....just give Jeff Sessions time.

The first thing Obama did as president...the first important thing he did....and one of the most important things..was get his Butt-boy Eric Rice put in charge of the Justice Department.

So, what inspires your unhinged hated of Eric _Holder_? That is, other than the fact that he wouldn't prosecute Democrats based entirely on your crazy fantasies that were all flatly contradicted by all the facts and evidence.

The paucity of Democrats going to jail in the lat 8 years for corruption...

... is clearly because the Democrats were squeaky clean. That's what the evidence indicates. You're making up a conspiracy theory here to explain why your partisan fantasies don't match the evidence.

It's not complicated. Democrats are usually clean. Republicans are usually corrupt. Your attempts to jail the squeaky clean Democrats on faked charges are the kind of thing that Stalin would do, and are very obvious examples of Republican corruption.

I've said it many times - that Conservatives are gone. They've been replaced by absolutely insane and willfully ignorant right wingers.

And look what they've done. There's not one person on this planet who actually believed the bizarre lies from trump. Starting with his idiotic wall and continuing right up to this morning's embarrassing Twitter tantrum, there is no one who does not know that if his lips are moving, he's lying.

And they voted for that.

They know he has done almost nothing and certainly nothing constructive or helpful. They know the only things he's done have harmed the working class and poor and that he will do more of the same.

They also know he is stealing the country blind. He pockets millions every week and they're fine wth that.

They know he colluded with Russia and still is. They know his kids are stealing from us. They know he's a racist, kkk, they know he has close ties to mob criminals and probably is himself and they know his wife's family is communist. And dammit, they KNOW he wants to gut the constitution and that he's already gotten a good start on that. IOW, they know yes a traitor.

But, we've seen them worship Putin and other dictators so why would they object to him doing the same?

So, yeah. The OP is right. I used to think we could find common ground but I'm doubting it more every day.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Mary L speaks the truth. There is no Democratic Party now. Ben not taken over by the Socialist Party USA.
"All the Way With LBJ" has given way to "Resistance Summer" and "wealth redistribution."

"Wealth redistribution"

That's another thing about trump's never ending lies. He's now very openly taking money from the working class and giving it the wealthy.

In fact,me is the personification of everything RWNJs and (ahem) christians SAY they hate but they shore do love it from him.

Yesterday or the day before, you and others went on and about a gay pride parade and yet you voted for a man who has, throughout his life, has done so much worse.

smh

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back