Where has all the professionalism gone?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
It seems as though we are in the midst of an unprofessional slump in history. Everywhere I go there seems to be people who are dishonest and uncaring, especially in their careers.

My first and (as of now) last job, a grocery bagger, started out good, with hard-working employees who would work hard all day, and goof off after work and at lunch. By the time I left, it was nothing more than a band of nincompoops listening to music, disregarding the customers wishes, and other things too specific to the job to mention here. That's why I left the job, because all the employees like me, that worked hard and enjoyed going home knowing we put in a good day, had left; and I didn't like being associated with the rest of them.

This, I am afraid, chronologically parallels the work ethic of America today. During the pre-depression era, where education wasn't mandatory and people worked 10 hour days for less-than-perfect salaries was the height of work-ethic in America; my first 6 months bagging. Now, with government hand-outs and everything becoming computerized, electronicized, and wireless, there seems to be no motivation or purpose to be hard-working. Everywhere you look people are slacking off on the job; this is around the time I stopped being a bagger.

For example, at a store an cashier may talk endlessly on the phone while a customer waits to be checked-out. I have actually waited until the person hung up the phone and walked out, taking nothing with me and paying for nothing. However, I have checked out at a store and the cashier hung up the phone when she realized I was ready to buy my book. I considered letting her supervisor know how much I appreciated that.

My point is, after my connections and rambling, is that there is considerably less professionalism and work-ethic in America than there used to be, and this leaves me with three emotions. Sadness, because customer service and quality of all things manufactured undoubtedly decreases. Fright, because who knows how things will turn out in the future. And hapiness, because I know that as long as when I am at work, I work it will be more recognized and more opportunities will come my way. Thank you for reading.

Well, I do actually have to somewhat agree with you there. Many people at many stores and such are not that caring of the customer anymore. I, however, am only 19 years old so I have to work while I am in college. I will say that for people that are doing many blue collar jobs, like retail, and food service, and so on, a lot of people don't really care too much. I believe that the minimum wage partially has to take the blame because it is way too low. It is very hard to live off of earning just minimum wage.
Now for colleges, I do think that it is a different story. At a typical four year college, i would say that many people work hard to get their degree because so many people now almost need to get their masters or PhD. Also, to get into a decent college program today is hard. Many American schools are extremely competetive because there are such a high number of immigrants that are willing to work very hard to get into those programs. So, I think that many people in blue-collar jobs might not have as much of a work ethic as opposed to the colleges and white-collar jobs where many people do.

cslaughlin13 said:
Well, I do actually have to somewhat agree with you there. Many people at many stores and such are not that caring of the customer anymore. I, however, am only 19 years old so I have to work while I am in college. I will say that for people that are doing many blue collar jobs, like retail, and food service, and so on, a lot of people don't really care too much. I believe that the minimum wage partially has to take the blame because it is way too low. It is very hard to live off of earning just minimum wage.
Now for colleges, I do think that it is a different story. At a typical four year college, i would say that many people work hard to get their degree because so many people now almost need to get their masters or PhD. Also, to get into a decent college program today is hard. Many American schools are extremely competetive because there are such a high number of immigrants that are willing to work very hard to get into those programs. So, I think that many people in blue-collar jobs might not have as much of a work ethic as opposed to the colleges and white-collar jobs where many people do.

Seriously, you're 19 and have been working I'll assume on and off for the past 3 years. When did you make minimum wage, $5.15 and where?

kathianne, I am not necessarily saying that I make minimum wage nor am I saying that most people make minimum wage, the problem occurrs when the blue collar jobs usually don't pay much higher than minimum wage. Living on low wages like that is extremely difficult and I think partially affects the attitudes that many employees have to customers because of financial frustration.

cslaughlin13 said:

You obviously didn't read the post.

The minimum wage didnt exist last century. Yet people had a good work ethic. The minimum wage has nothing to do with it. In fact, what it has probably done is make people lazy.

I worked in a convience store for a while, it was menial work, but I used it to build my work ethic. I was always busy even when they had nothing for me officially do id scrub the counters clearner then they could ever want them to be. Fact is i was proud to be doing something.

But people expect things now, they expect that they dont have to work for them. Its quite sad.

cslaughlin13 said:
kathianne, I am not necessarily saying that I make minimum wage nor am I saying that most people make minimum wage, the problem occurrs when the blue collar jobs usually don't pay much higher than minimum wage. Living on low wages like that is extremely difficult and I think partially affects the attitudes that many employees have to customers because of financial frustration.

If you are older than 21 and working at a fast food resturant, you have bigger problems then earning minimum wage.

Its pretty simple really. The service you get in stores, restaurants, etc from "kids" (between 16-24) have grown up in an era of unprecedented prosperity. Most of these kids don't need the jobs they have for more then some extra petty cash or socializing with friends from school. Therefore there is little incentive for them to be good at what they do when they dont care to even be there. They have grown up in homes where the parents dont neccasarily get them everything but they get them enough to make their lives very easy so they dont understand the concept of working for a living. Some kids ive met in college have never even had a job amazingly.

Basically its a byproduct of the era we live in. We havent had to face very many hardships in our lives. thats why everything is the end of the world for people these days. They can't handle breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend. They cant handle the pressure of work. Life is simply too easy. Nothing you can do to change it.

Forum List

Back