where does your bible tell you to pray?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by strollingbones, Apr 8, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,879
    i see christians bitching again about their rights etc...so riddle me this...how can anyone stop you from praying? and where does your bible instruct you to pray?

prayer to me...is between myself and my goddess.....no one can stop me from praying to her...how can they stop you from praying to your god or goddess?

2. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Actually, the bible is quite clear and explicit in how one should pray:

Matthew 6:5-6

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,879
    well done cats....pray not for the glory of man....yet christians continue to do and demand that we all do just that...stop praying for the glory of man and pray to your god as your bible tells you to do

4. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
  5. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    Actually, Rodishi, prayer occurs primarily in two ways in the New Testament. The first is during a gathering of the saints, i.e., in a religious congregation, where the act of collective prayer brings believers closer together and closer to God. The other way that believers are told to pray is PRIVATELY. Prayer is private communion between a believer and God.

The relevance here is that some segments of the Christian community are attempting to turn prayer (which I have no problem with) into an act of political and social coercion. So, when believers gather at a flagpole and pray publicly outside a school, it is an attempt to force the political issue of collective public prayer in public institituions. It isn't an act of faith, but of social control. Similarly, the idea that in order for kids to pray, a collective, group-led prayer must be offered, is completely extra-bibilical.

I prayed MANY TIMES in school when I was a kid, and you are right...nothing could keep me from praying. I didn't require the assistance or leadership of a teacher to pray in school, nor did my classmates need to know about a conversation that was between me and God.

Do you get the point that Strolling is trying to make?

6. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    I'm sure I did at least as much as you got the point I made with the scriptures I quoted.

7. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Stroll: i see christians bitching again about their rights etc...so riddle me this...how can anyone stop you from praying? and where does your bible instruct you to pray?

Smartt: It is an absolute that no one can keep us from praying as long as we have breath. It is true that we can pray anywhere, anytime, and about whatever we want to pray about, and no one can stop us.

The sctiptures give instructions about how to and, ot to pray. We know that we are not to pray with the motivation to be seen. _____________

We are instructed tot to be wordy in our prayers. "When you pray, don't talk on and on as people do who don't know God. They think God likes to hear long prayers. Don't be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask" (Matthew 6:7-8) We are to pray, not because we need to inform God of our needs, but because we are to trust Him with those needs, and depend upon Him to care for the needs.

The Lord's Prayer: (Matthew 6:9-13) Is an outline, not soemthing to repeat. I know this because in the verses before this prayer we are instructed not to repeat prayers over and over. The Lord's prayer is an outline of what needs to be in prayer. Recognition of God and His character and attributes, and a genuine recognition that we are indeed a part of His Kingdom as believers, and to call upon that Kingdom rule to be upon us now as it is in Heaven. We are to speak of our needs, and leave them with Him. We need to confess and ask forgiveness for our sins and failures. We seek God's protection from evil and temptation, and delivery through it all. Once again, we are to recogniuze who this awesome God is that we are praying to, and that He is the only hope we have. This builds our faith.

We are to follow Jesus' example, and He prayer often, in publc and in private.

In (Jeremiah 33: 3) We are told to Call upon God and He will answer.
    We are instructed to pray for wisdom, (James 1: 5) .
    We are instructed to pray in private, unseen, and trust God without telling anyone what we prayed. However, This is not the only way that we are to pray. It is, however, the one that needs to be, and is used most. (Matt. 6: 6) The reason for this ios so we will not be accused of praying to be seen, not because we have to hide and pray. Jesus did not hide to pray all the time.

Well, there is a lot more, but I believe that praying without ceasing is significant. We need to always be in a frame of mind that communicating with God can be done anytime.

God bless you,
    Ernie

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    My Bible tells me to pray on USMB with my shirt off.

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    The bitching isn't that we feel compelled to pray publicly and loudly. THe bitching is that there are some assholes who are trying to make preaching synonomous with hate speech, who want to remove all reference to our faith from any public venue, and who want to punish and hold back people who are openly faithful.

Children who want to pray at school should be allowed to. Politicians who make reference to their faith or want to lead prayers are guaranteed that right by the constitution.

It's not that anyone's preventing us from praying. It's that they're punishing us if we dare to do it openly, and calling for censure and repression of those who are openly faithful.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    Don't point out REAL facts, these turds are to busy making crap up to be bothered with FACTS.