where does your bible tell you to pray?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i see christians bitching again about their rights etc...so riddle me this...how can anyone stop you from praying? and where does your bible instruct you to pray?

prayer to me...is between myself and my goddess.....no one can stop me from praying to her...how can they stop you from praying to your god or goddess?

Actually, the bible is quite clear and explicit in how one should pray:

Matthew 6:5-6
When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

well done cats....pray not for the glory of man....yet christians continue to do and demand that we all do just that...stop praying for the glory of man and pray to your god as your bible tells you to do

That I know of they can't stop me from praying and having communion with my Lord. Although there are those that may try to hinder.

Actually, Rodishi, prayer occurs primarily in two ways in the New Testament. The first is during a gathering of the saints, i.e., in a religious congregation, where the act of collective prayer brings believers closer together and closer to God. The other way that believers are told to pray is PRIVATELY. Prayer is private communion between a believer and God.

The relevance here is that some segments of the Christian community are attempting to turn prayer (which I have no problem with) into an act of political and social coercion. So, when believers gather at a flagpole and pray publicly outside a school, it is an attempt to force the political issue of collective public prayer in public institituions. It isn't an act of faith, but of social control. Similarly, the idea that in order for kids to pray, a collective, group-led prayer must be offered, is completely extra-bibilical.

I prayed MANY TIMES in school when I was a kid, and you are right...nothing could keep me from praying. I didn't require the assistance or leadership of a teacher to pray in school, nor did my classmates need to know about a conversation that was between me and God.

Do you get the point that Strolling is trying to make?

Stroll: i see christians bitching again about their rights etc...so riddle me this...how can anyone stop you from praying? and where does your bible instruct you to pray?

Smartt: It is an absolute that no one can keep us from praying as long as we have breath. It is true that we can pray anywhere, anytime, and about whatever we want to pray about, and no one can stop us.

The sctiptures give instructions about how to and, ot to pray. We know that we are not to pray with the motivation to be seen. _____________

We are instructed tot to be wordy in our prayers. "When you pray, don't talk on and on as people do who don't know God. They think God likes to hear long prayers. Don't be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask" (Matthew 6:7-8) We are to pray, not because we need to inform God of our needs, but because we are to trust Him with those needs, and depend upon Him to care for the needs.

The Lord's Prayer: (Matthew 6:9-13) Is an outline, not soemthing to repeat. I know this because in the verses before this prayer we are instructed not to repeat prayers over and over. The Lord's prayer is an outline of what needs to be in prayer. Recognition of God and His character and attributes, and a genuine recognition that we are indeed a part of His Kingdom as believers, and to call upon that Kingdom rule to be upon us now as it is in Heaven. We are to speak of our needs, and leave them with Him. We need to confess and ask forgiveness for our sins and failures. We seek God's protection from evil and temptation, and delivery through it all. Once again, we are to recogniuze who this awesome God is that we are praying to, and that He is the only hope we have. This builds our faith.

We are to follow Jesus' example, and He prayer often, in publc and in private.

In (Jeremiah 33: 3) We are told to Call upon God and He will answer.
We are instructed to pray for wisdom, (James 1: 5) .
We are instructed to pray in private, unseen, and trust God without telling anyone what we prayed. However, This is not the only way that we are to pray. It is, however, the one that needs to be, and is used most. (Matt. 6: 6) The reason for this ios so we will not be accused of praying to be seen, not because we have to hide and pray. Jesus did not hide to pray all the time.

Well, there is a lot more, but I believe that praying without ceasing is significant. We need to always be in a frame of mind that communicating with God can be done anytime.

God bless you,
Ernie

i see christians bitching again about their rights etc...so riddle me this...how can anyone stop you from praying? and where does your bible instruct you to pray?

prayer to me...is between myself and my goddess.....no one can stop me from praying to her...how can they stop you from praying to your god or goddess?

My Bible tells me to pray on USMB with my shirt off.

The bitching isn't that we feel compelled to pray publicly and loudly. THe bitching is that there are some assholes who are trying to make preaching synonomous with hate speech, who want to remove all reference to our faith from any public venue, and who want to punish and hold back people who are openly faithful.

Children who want to pray at school should be allowed to. Politicians who make reference to their faith or want to lead prayers are guaranteed that right by the constitution.

It's not that anyone's preventing us from praying. It's that they're punishing us if we dare to do it openly, and calling for censure and repression of those who are openly faithful.

The bitching isn't that we feel compelled to pray publicly and loudly. THe bitching is that there are some assholes who are trying to make preaching synonomous with hate speech, who want to remove all reference to our faith from any public venue, and who want to punish and hold back people who are openly faithful.

Children who want to pray at school should be allowed to. Politicians who make reference to their faith or want to lead prayers are guaranteed that right by the constitution.

It's not that anyone's preventing us from praying. It's that they're punishing us if we dare to do it openly, and calling for censure and repression of those who are openly faithful.

Don't point out REAL facts, these turds are to busy making crap up to be bothered with FACTS.

well done cats....pray not for the glory of man....yet christians continue to do and demand that we all do just that...stop praying for the glory of man and pray to your god as your bible tells you to do

Every once in a while I stop what I am doing (usually sweeping or mopping up the mess) look skyward and ask with all sincerity, "What have I done to piss you off today?!"Maybe I got the concept wrong?

Actually, Rodishi, prayer occurs primarily in two ways in the New Testament. The first is during a gathering of the saints, i.e., in a religious congregation, where the act of collective prayer brings believers closer together and closer to God. The other way that believers are told to pray is PRIVATELY. Prayer is private communion between a believer and God.

Smartt: While I agree that most prayer should be a private thing, there are tiomes when it can be public, and even might need to be. When Jesus called out Lazrus he prayed aloud, intentionally for the people to hear Him. He prayed aloud while He was on the cross, and the people heard Him. It was conversation with His Father. Jesus prayed aloud when He blessed the passover meal. He prayed aloud when he blessed the food for 5000 people. He prayed aloud, not to make a scene, but to freely talk to His Father.

The relevance here is that some segments of the Christian community are attempting to turn prayer (which I have no problem with) into an act of political and social coercion.

Smartt: I cannot see that to be the cxase except for a very tiny group of people. I am not even sure who those people might be. Politicians in America have ALWAYS prayed at the beginning of congress, and many other meetings. It is how we began. They were not trying to force anything on anyone. They still don't

So, when believers gather at a flagpole and pray publicly outside a school, it is an attempt to force the political issue of collective public prayer in public institituions. It isn't an act of faith, but of social control. Similarly, the idea that in order for kids to pray, a collective, group-led prayer must be offered, is completely extra-bibilical.

Smartt: Actually you are not correct. These meetings began in Burleson, Texass where the students took time to pray for their school, city, government, and each other. They were not forcing anyone. They met before school, and no one had to be there. So, you got that one wrong, because those kids still meet for that reason. It is a shame that this always becomes an issue, and somewhere these students have to fight for their freedom to do it.

I prayed MANY TIMES in school when I was a kid, and you are right...nothing could keep me from praying. I didn't require the assistance or leadership of a teacher to pray in school, nor did my classmates need to know about a conversation that was between me and God.

Smartt: Good for you. So did I. As a youth worker, I know that youth today do need mature and respectable leadership in moral issues because this country is becoming so sick. We do, as Christian leaders seek to teach our kids, and we will continue. We know that God is indeed the one who will lead them in the ways He wants them to go, and we need to give them places to experience this so they will have the personel courage to not run and hide from the "enemy."

My scriptures tell me to pray everywhere about everything. Just do it for the right reasons and not to be seen.

why should you allie be allowed to disrupt public meetings with your prayers...or schools for example...you are more than free to pray silently....i just do not want to hear your prayers that are always omitting other faiths....

On a related note, a religious procession procession passed by my house this afternoon. About 150 people following a guy carrying a big wooden cross with a mournful song sung over and over again in Spanish being played on loud speakers.

It was very spooky. I wish I hadn't seen it.

On a related note, a religious procession procession passed by my house this afternoon. About 150 people following a guy carrying a big wooden cross with a mournful song sung over and over again in Spanish being played on loud speakers.

It was very spooky. I wish I hadn't seen it.

It means you will die --REPENT QUICKLY !

why should you allie be allowed to disrupt public meetings with your prayers...or schools for example...you are more than free to pray silently....i just do not want to hear your prayers that are always omitting other faiths....

How does a moment of silence disrupt anything or force anyone to pray or pray for one religion over another? Further why is that places like New York can create special Prayer rooms for Muslims in school but can not allow a moment of silence for ANYONE else to pray?

There is even a Government school now that is a Muslim school where prayer is mandatory and teachers are REQUIRED to stay after hours to run RELIGIOUS classes. But hey that is fine cause, well it isn't that damn Christian religion after all.

Those other faiths have the same rights to express themselves. It is the heathens perverting the Constitution who are the whiners here.

Forum List

Back