Where does the stimulus money go?

Ame®icano

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2008
Michigan
Obama's advisers predicted and Obama announced that his stimulus package would hold unemployment at or below 8 percent. It's becoming painfully obvious that they were wrong about the whole stimulus bill. If you look the purpose of the stimulus bill, it's suppose to create jobs. Some of those jobs should have been created in order to fix the infrastructure like unsafe bridges.

Rhode Island has scored at the top of the "Deficient Bridges List" with over 55%, as shown at the State by State map.

I don't know how much money Rhode Island is going to spend on fixing bridges, but they certainly have some other priorities for stimulus money. $550K in stimulus cash will help pay for skateboard park

If teh GAO ever does an accounting for this money it will be an enormous scandal.
You cannot push large amounts of money at anything, Iraq War, Katrina, Economy, without having massive waste. It is just too easy.

I believe only 10 percent of Jerseys money went to infrastructure. Half our bridges are falling down. Now that's something everyone left or right cares about. Sux for us.

Conservative squirrels running around looking for acorns that don't exist. We ate your kind when I was growing, baiting them with nuts that did not exist.

Less than 5% of the stimulus money has been spent. About 20% will be spent by 1 February. More than 80% will be spent five weeks before the November elections.

With the economy solidly recovering, with the job loss being reversed (beginning Feb or Mar -- write it down, cons; unlike you and Bush, I am accountable for what I say), with folks feeling better: guess who is going to get smashed in the fall of 2010?

My stupid party that refuses to learn so far from its mistakes.

Conservative squirrels running around looking for acorns that don't exist. We ate your kind when I was growing, baiting them with nuts that did not exist.

Less than 5% of the stimulus money has been spent. About 20% will be spent by 1 February. More than 80% will be spent five weeks before the November elections.

With the economy solidly recovering, with the job loss being reversed (beginning Feb or Mar -- write it down, cons; unlike you and Bush, I am accountable for what I say), with folks feeling better: guess who is going to get smashed in the fall of 2010?

My stupid party that refuses to learn so far from its mistakes.

Another room-emptying stinker from Jake, King of the Unsubstantiated Statement.
You'd better tell the administration that less than 5% has been spent:
White House says stimulus money still kicking in - Yahoo! News
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is considering all options to create jobs, including another stimulus package, while trying to pull the economy out of a deep recession and deal with a record deficit, White House advisers said Sunday.

With more than half of the $787 billion recovery package yet to be spent, Obama aides said the administration is not ready to commit to additional measures.

stinky-stimulus.jpg

well here they repaved a road that needed it ten years ago, they are re constructing two old buildings at the college I go to and are building a few new buildings at another college near me. We also have a bridge project in the works. So think of all the construction jobs that created.

well here they repaved a road that needed it ten years ago, they are re constructing two old buildings at the college I go to and are building a few new buildings at another college near me. We also have a bridge project in the works. So think of all the construction jobs that created.
Why should we think of that?
Why not think of all the real jobs that were destroyed when gov't had to tax and/or borrow to pay for this crap? Once the project is done, the job is over. It wont do anything. Had they allowed the market to allocate the resources instead they would have ended up with sustainable jobs that actually contributed to the economy in a permanent way.

Why not think of all the real jobs that were destroyed when gov't had to tax and/or borrow to pay for this crap? Once the project is done, the job is over. It wont do anything. Had they allowed the market to allocate the resources instead they would have ended up with sustainable jobs that actually contributed to the economy in a permanent way.

or they could build bigger building to old the record number of students who are enrolled at my school and maybe do alittle planning for the future. Right now there isn't enough classes offered for the amount of students who are enrolled because they don't have the space. ANd you should really tell that to the contruction worker who is feeding his family tonight because of the stimulus money. And what real jobs were destroyed because of the stimulus money? How about the fact that since there has been a decline in new homes being built in this area, many construction workers were out of a job because for the last eight years they let the housing market go un regulated.

Most people were all for "shovel ready projects" Remember that line of bull. Construction jobs are good for the economy. Strong bridges are good for public safety. Spending 90 percent on education and social services (and teaching whores to drink responsibly) was not the bag of good we were sold. Fix the god dang bridges!

Ame®icano;1628924 said:
Obama's advisers predicted and Obama announced that his stimulus package would hold unemployment at or below 8 percent. It's becoming painfully obvious that they were wrong about the whole stimulus bill. If you look the purpose of the stimulus bill, it's suppose to create jobs. Some of those jobs should have been created in order to fix the infrastructure like unsafe bridges.

Rhode Island has scored at the top of the "Deficient Bridges List" with over 55%, as shown at the State by State map.

I don't know how much money Rhode Island is going to spend on fixing bridges, but they certainly have some other priorities for stimulus money. $550K in stimulus cash will help pay for skateboard park[/QUOTE

So? What's wrong with a skateboard park? Providing recreation for kids is bad? Building the park provides jobs; jobs for people who pay taxes and spend money in restaurants, hardware stories and other small businesses. Giving money to mega- banks may have been foolish, but providing jobs to working people is not.

Last edited:
Well they are doing what they promised here, pretty every state college campus is this state is getting much needed new building or getting old buildings remodeled. I guess that is where that money went when put into education. So I guess they are helping education and creating construction jobs.

Ame®icano;1628924 said:

I don't know how much money Rhode Island is going to spend on fixing bridges, but they certainly have some other priorities for stimulus money. $550K in stimulus cash will help pay for skateboard park[/QUOTE

So? What's wrong with a skateboard park? Providing recreation for kids is bad? Building the park provides jobs; jobs for people who pay taxes and spend money in resturaunts, hardware stories and other small businesses. Giving money to mega- banks may have been foolish, but providing jobs to working people is not.

and they proved here by putting in skate parks youth crime rates goes down.

Would you mind proving what you say? And, what is the crap to which you refer?
Once a bridge is repaired it won't do anything? That's the point, isn't it, for the bridge to not fall down. Ask the people in Minnesota which costs more, repairing a bridge or removing it's remains and building a new one.

The terrible I-35 bridge disaster brought "infrastructure" into the forefront. Democrats attempted to bring up legislation time and again, but were blocked by Republicans who would rather spend the money on Iraq "to keep us safe".

------------------------

I-35 Bridge Collapse Fact Sheet and Story Archive – Minneapolis Bridge Drops in Mississippi River | MyFox Twin Cities | Fox 9 News | KMSP

Gov. Tim Pawlenty said the bridge was on a list of 70,000 to 80,000 bridges across the country that federal investigators classified as "structurally impaired." He said there is an additional 70,000 bridges across the country in a lower category, designated as "functionally obsolete."

Bridge Collapse in Minnesota: Many Dead, Tens Injured, more Missing in Minneapolis Disaster | Suite101.com

-------------------------

It's no surprise that Republicans will call this kind of spending "pork barrel". I guess because it isn't part of bombing a foreign nation or giving tax breaks to rich people or insurance companies. Those are the only things that really matter, obviously.

Would you mind proving what you say? And, what is the crap to which you refer?
Once a bridge is repaired it won't do anything? That's the point, isn't it, for the bridge to not fall down. Ask the people in Minnesota which costs more, repairing a bridge or removing it's remains and building a new one.

Oy. The gov't has no money of its own. It must take it from elsewhere to give it to someone. Here they are taking it from someone else.
Infrastructure is not a free lunch. It does not have equal value. Some bridges, like the GW in NY, serve an economically useful function. Plenty of others dont. Some bridges and roads have only marginal economic value, and in fact would be better off falling down. They add nothing to the economy by their existence. Repairing/rebuilding them is like pouring money down a well. You might as well hire men to dig ditches and then hire other men to fill them in.

Ame®icano;1628924 said:

I don't know how much money Rhode Island is going to spend on fixing bridges, but they certainly have some other priorities for stimulus money. $550K in stimulus cash will help pay for skateboard park

So? What's wrong with a skateboard park? Providing recreation for kids is bad? Building the park provides jobs; jobs for people who pay taxes and spend money in restaurants, hardware stories and other small businesses. Giving money to mega- banks may have been foolish, but providing jobs to working people is not.

Skateboard park can be build in a month. When I was younger we would build it on a parking lot in a few days. Now tell me, how many permanent jobs will be created once this skateboard park is finished?

Forum List

Back