CDZ Where does policy come from ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
In the UK policy is shaped by different means.

For example -
1. Think tanks pushing an idea.
2. Party conference voting on election promises.
3. Recommendations following public enquiries.
4. Bribing the government to pass laws that you like.
5. Politicians of all parties working together to improve things.

OK , I made the last one up.

So where do US policies come from ?

I was struck by two policies put forward by the President recently.

Arming teachers and imposing tariffs. Neither seem to be universally popular and I cant find any science backing them up either.

They seem to be a bit off the cuff.

Im not looking for trump abuse here or Obama abuse either. Neither do I want arguments pro and con these two measures.

Just an understanding of how these ideas get to be the thing.

Tariffs , seems to me that they would come from TRUMPS thinking based on his thoughts and ideas and from reading plus the thinking of his advisers . Little that i have heard , tariffs were what was used to run the USA [except during the Civil War] until the income tax was introduced so maybe TRUMP wants to try some TARIFFS again Tommy .

For example -

Arming teachers and imposing tariffs. Neither seem to be universally popular and I cant find any science backing them up either.

Im not looking for trump abuse here or Obama abuse either. Neither do I want arguments pro and con these two measures.

In the first case, it's not a thing, it's a thought, without any research to it. It's at best a trail balloon. The second part is a measure that falls in the purview of POTUS who has the power to impose tariffs. Neither I think are rational decisions but you made it clear that that wasn't the purpose of the OP.

ARMING TEACHERS , gun in schools to kill the bad guy that is shooting up the school or anywhere else are just 'common sense' and require nothing but common sense Tommy . .

For example -

/------/ We (meaning Americans) have the right to protect our industries. Trump is the first president in a long while to have the balls to do something. Remember it can be adjusted if need be.
China’s Taxes on Imported Cars Feed Trade Tensions With U.S.
BEIJING — A Jeep Wrangler can cost $30,000 more in China than in the United States — and the reasons illustrate a growing point of tension between the two countries.

Manufactured in Toledo, Ohio, the Wrangler is a descendant of the jeeps that were used by American forces in World War II. Equipped with a 3.6-liter engine and a five-speed automatic transmission, the Rubicon edition of the Wrangler has a suggested retail price of $40,530 in the United States.

But in China, the same vehicle would set a buyer back by a hefty $71,000, mostly because of taxes that Beijing charges on every car, minivan and sport utility vehicle that is made in another country and brought to China’s shores.

For example -

/------/ We (meaning Americans) have the right to protect our industries. Trump is the first president in a long while to have the balls to do something. Remember it can be adjusted if need be.
BEIJING — A Jeep Wrangler can cost $30,000 more in China than in the United States — and the reasons illustrate a growing point of tension between the two countries.

Manufactured in Toledo, Ohio, the Wrangler is a descendant of the jeeps that were used by American forces in World War II. Equipped with a 3.6-liter engine and a five-speed automatic transmission, the Rubicon edition of the Wrangler has a suggested retail price of $40,530 in the United States.

But in China, the same vehicle would set a buyer back by a hefty $71,000, mostly because of taxes that Beijing charges on every car, minivan and sport utility vehicle that is made in another country and brought to China’s shores.
This is interesting but off topic.

For example -

I recall John Lennon allowed some homeless hippy into his home, and he, Yoko and this homeless guy had a lavish meal at a big table. He was a fan and asked him about his song writing and how he comes up with things, at one point Lennon says:

"well I had a good shyte today, this is what I thought this morning"

That's as good an approach as any as far as I am concerned.

Above this, there is irrefutable evidence that some nations in Europe and Asia have massive trade surpluses while America has the worlds largest deficit by a long shot. When you look at the fact the nations with massive surpluses also happen to be nations that arbitrarily apply tariffs to America. Eventually (if you're not bought by industries) you say, "hey wait a minute, maybe these sob's should be hit with tariffs too!"

It's not rocket science and yes I simplify it, but this is what America has been experiencing, while the IMF, WTO and others happily allow China to arm. Just as Churchill warned the British government long before Germany expanded that "those guys are going to be trouble" while others laughed at him and thought he was a crazy war-hawk, I am telling you "watch out for that Chinese government". They have FAR more appeal and support by these global idiots, and they are a major threat to global liberty.

American policy comes mostly from the American people and the voters. We tell our elected representatives what we want, and they see to it that laws are enacted which reflects the will of the American people.

This one phrase sums it up succinctly:

"Government of the people by the people for the people is based on the premise that the people shall govern themselves through their democratically elected representatives by virtue of one man one vote."

That is basically where our American policies come from. Those who have little faith in the way the American political systems operates, usually mention that there are other influences on our policies, such as lobbyists, Political Action Committees, etc.

But that is basically how our system is set up to work.

American policy comes mostly from the American people and the voters. We tell our elected representatives what we want, and they see to it that laws are enacted which reflects the will of the American people.

"Government of the people by the people for the people is based on the premise that the people shall govern themselves through their democratically elected representatives by virtue of one man one vote."

That is basically where our American policies come from. Those who have little faith in the way the American political systems operates, usually mention that there are other influences on our policies, such as lobbyists, Political Action Committees, etc.

Well, how it is theoretically set up to work. What has been missing too often is it being enacted.

If a guy campaigns on something and keeps it, he will win a second term most certainly. So far, after just over a year, Trump has kept his word.

As much as CNN and some in the investment community lost their shirts over his tariff announcement, the more reasonable supported it, and if you look on twitter, the voters, even many from the left are behind him on this decision. Right in time before the mid-terms.

He is right, also, in a trade war, America will win. Americas economy is the most diverse and innovative, the beauty of de-centralization of 50 states. See how Germany threatens tariffs on Harley (they are ALREADY being hit in some countries, 100%!), jeans and what have you? It won't do much harm, since these are specific, niche, "exclusive" products, and those who want them, will always get them from somewhere, even at a premium.

Trump started with a raw material that's very general and important as it's not niche. He can then go to cars as he threatened, which Germany can probably sustain without massive losses in sales, at least at the high end (though the mid tier brands will get hit in their sales numbers), as the same people buying Mercedes, Beemers and Porsches won't care even if they have to pay 30% more, BUT, it will pad the U.S treasury. That works too.

Last edited:

For example -

This is interesting but off topic.[/QUOTE/——-/ Its 100% on topic. It’s why we’re imposing tariffs against China.

For example -

This is interesting but off topic.[/QUOTE/——-/ Its 100% on topic. It’s why we’re imposing tariffs against China.
Go back and read the OP. I dont give a toss why you are imposing sanctions.

For example -

CLEAN DEBATE, tommy!

Well, how it is theoretically set up to work. What has been missing too often is it being enacted.

If a guy campaigns on something and keeps it, he will win a second term most certainly. So far, after just over a year, Trump has kept his word.

As much as CNN and some in the investment community lost their shirts over his tariff announcement, the more reasonable supported it, and if you look on twitter, the voters, even many from the left are behind him on this decision. Right in time before the mid-terms.

He is right, also, in a trade war, America will win. Americas economy is the most diverse and innovative, the beauty of de-centralization of 50 states. See how Germany threatens tariffs on Harley (they are ALREADY being hit in some countries, 100%!), jeans and what have you? It won't do much harm, since these are specific, niche, "exclusive" products, and those who want them, will always get them from somewhere, even at a premium.

Trump started with a raw material that's very general and important as it's not niche. He can then go to cars as he threatened, which Germany can probably sustain without massive losses in sales, at least at the high end (though the mid tier brands will get hit in their sales numbers), as the same people buying Mercedes, Beemers and Porsches won't care even if they have to pay 30% more, BUT, it will pad the U.S treasury. That works too.
Pretty much all of that is off topic. I am interested in the process and that is what the thread is about.

For example -

/----/ Tommy, Tommy, Tommy. I was reacting to your question, specificity "imposing tariffs." It came from the fact other countries protect their industry by imposing deep tariffs on imported US products and at the same time face few if any tariffs on their goods shipped to the US. I gave a prime example of the tariffs China places on US made cars.
"So where do US policies come from ?
Arming teachers and imposing tariffs."

Pretty much all of that is off topic. I am interested in the process and that is what the thread is about.

Not off-topic. Shockedcanadian is explaining Trump's economic trade policy, which is basically one of the reasons the American voters put him in office.

To the best of my understanding the process is much the same here. Someone (or group) proposes an idea, it gets floated out for "public debate", then it either gets put into action or it doesn't. The bribery part is there as well. It's why so much is spent on lobbying. The specifics of HOW are different in many cases, but where it comes from, pretty much the same. Our system of government in some ways is based on the British system of the 1600's and 1700's. Of course there are quite a few glaring differences, but you guys have remedied most of that now :04:, so the two systems are really quite similar, again, as I understand it.

Forum List

Back