Where does it end?

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
Newton —In the beginning, there was a 10th-grader who took a silly stand.

And a bunch of adults who caved in and made some bad decisions.

When Newton South High School officials waived two Honors English quizzes for 10th-grader Jack Summers, their decision not only did Summers a disservice, it set a precedent that could allow students to appeal all sorts of assignments in the future.

The Bible as literature is part of the 10th-grade curriculum at Newton South and part of the state frameworks. Because Summers is a self-proclaimed atheist, he refused to read it and take two quizzes. But nowhere in the syllabus are students asked to believe what they read any more than they are asked to believe in Greek gods when they read Homer. The Bible exists, regardless of whether the stories are true. For Summers, not knowing Bible stories will create a deficit in his academic life, particularly as he delves deeper into literature.

South officials weren’t just making a decision for Summers, though. They were permitting future students to exempt themselves from particular curriculum. What about students who are vegetarians? Do they have to read books that involve the killing of animals? Some 11th-graders at Newton South read Tim O’Brien’s “The Things They Carried” about the Vietnam War. Should pacifists have to read such a detailed book?

The list goes on. Fifteen-year-olds should not decide what they will and will not read for an English class. The adults who made this decision failed Summers and the rest of our community.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/newton/n...n-TAB-Editorial-Bible-lessons-at-Newton-South

Newton school officials mixed on Bible lesson waiver - Newton, Massachusetts - Newton TAB

thoughts?

This is bs but it doesn't surprise me. There was a dicussion last week about how my school can legally waive the phy ed requirement because we have a number of students refusing to participate. They don't like getting changed in front of others so "we shouldn't make them". Kids today have confused "its a free country" with "I don't have to do anything that I don't want to". Self expression is deemed more important than self control, self respect. and even education. Thank the lawyers.

The Bible as literature is part of the 10th-grade curriculum at Newton South and part of the state frameworks. Because Summers is a self-proclaimed atheist, he refused to read it and take two quizzes.

I wonder what the responses here would be had he refused to read the Koran, or if he'd refused to read...

tcHe4vHPYolv1fap8juX9s53o1_250.jpg

(as an aside...I wonder if he plays football for the South Newton Fighting Figs...)

If the district required it it would be the same The kid can argue the curriculum and his parents are free to run for the school board. But children should not be able tp pick and choose what book they want to read. Unless they are home schooled.

If they were forced to read about butt sex and jihad, they have more important issues to worry about than the honor roll.

Personally I don't think the Bible needs to be taught but I don't live in that town, Obviouly the folks there do.

The Bible as literature is part of the 10th-grade curriculum at Newton South and part of the state frameworks. Because Summers is a self-proclaimed atheist, he refused to read it and take two quizzes.

I wonder what the responses here would be had he refused to read the Koran, or if he'd refused to read...

(as an aside...I wonder if he plays football for the South Newton Fighting Figs...)

When I went to school, there were controversial books on one reading list that I remember, including The Bible and The Koran... The solution was choice.

We were given a list of 12 books, we had to pick, read and report on 9. End of discussion.

I really liked my literature teacher, as I recall.

Frankly, I'm astonished the Bible, or xeroxed copies from it, would be the choice any public school teacher in the USA would add to her cirriculum. My guess is that she's either an idiot, or a closet Holy Roller, because no intelligent teacher would cause their life to be made any more difficult by such an obvious faux pas.

The "slippery slope arguement" of students being able to chose whatever-the-hell they want to exempt themselves from using this precedent is a speciously transparent attempt to cause a Tempest in a Teapot.

I think it is stupid that he got excused, especially since taking the honors class was his choice.

Yet no one gets upset when students opt out of other mandated courses like Xo pointed out above.

I think it is stupid that he got excused, especially since taking the honors class was his choice.

Yet no one gets upset when students opt out of other mandated courses like Xo pointed out above.

he didn't opt out of the class. he refused to do the assignments pertaining to the bible, failed a couple of quizes, and then his mom called the school.

Daayum! We need to get congress on this right away. Heck with the recession we have serious problems in this country. Children refusing to read the bible !!!

parents have forgotten how to tell their kids to shut the fuck up and get off their asses...kids have a greater sense of entitlement than baby boomers...

Like I always tell Mini EZ-your teachers are your "bosses" while you're in school and you WILL do what they say. You may not like one or two, but oh well, in life you won't like all the bosses you'll work for either.

Parents need to stop making excuses for their child's behavior/not wanting to do something, etc.

parents have forgotten how to tell their kids to shut the fuck up and get off their asses...kids have a greater sense of entitlement than baby boomers...

Like I always tell Mini EZ-your teachers are your "bosses" while you're in school and you WILL do what they say. You may not like one or two, but oh well, in life you won't like all the bosses you'll work for either.

Parents need to stop making excuses for their child's behavior/not wanting to do something, etc.

:clap2:

And schools need to stop offering choices....for christssakes: Focus on the 3R's and if they cannot get it by the end of 8th grade, then put them to work herding sheep.

:clap2:

And schools need to stop offering choices....for christssakes: Focus on the 3R's and if they cannot get it by the end of 8th grade, then put them to work herding sheep.

You may or may not be joking, but Mani really has a great idea about what to do if they just aren't "getting it" by 8th grade, let me see if he'll post his idea again.

Forum List

Back