Where does Abraham Lincoln rank?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
Several people were listing Lincoln toward the bottom of the list and I would like to hear their reasoning.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
He is second after George Washington. George is first cause he could have been King and instead only served 2 terms as President and refused to run again.

I'd have to say that he ranks very high on the list, but then much of that may simply be because history is written by the winners.

President Lincoln is given credit for freeing the slaves (as if doing so was what he believed should be done) but from my understanding he did it more for political or more accurately military reasons.

One thing he can be given credit for is keeping this one nation under God.

Immie

1. washington for reasons previously cited
2. lincoln for reasons previously cited
3. FDR for his prosecution of ww2
4. Ike- kept the cold war cold, interstate highways, supported the implementation of brown v. board of education and if we'd listened to him when he warned us about the military-industrial complex, we'd be a lot better off
5. gerry ford- he pardoned nixon. it was the right thing for the country at the time, it cost him any chance at being elected in his own right and he did it anyway.

my 2 cents.

He is second after George Washington. George is first cause he could have been King and instead only served 2 terms as President and refused to run again.

Agreed.

Lincoln gets big props for traversing the considerable hurdles of the Civil War- but w/o Grant as his eventual General, Lincoln might very well have proven a disastrous president. He was floundering considerably before Grant's accomplishments in battle decisively turned the tide against the Confederacy.

Washington was both General and President, and then returned to private citizen. He is the Alpha and the Omega of American politics - having both secured the possibilities of a new nation, and set forth the executive example that remains in effect to this day.

Lincoln was great - but Washington is the greatest of all American presidents...

Washington is overrated. People tend to roll his work outside of the presidency into the ranking. That's not really right, in my opinion. If we took factors outside of being President into account, Grant would rank a lot higher, but his time in office was pretty subpar.

Washington is overrated. People tend to roll his work outside of the presidency into the ranking. That's not really right, in my opinion. If we took factors outside of being President into account, Grant would rank a lot higher, but his time in office was pretty subpar.

George Washington was OFFERED the Title of King. He declined. He could have been President until he died, he quit after 2 terms. Those both are work related to being President.

While President he led an Army against an uprising, he went into the field and took command of the Army and lead them in battle as President.

George Washington was OFFERED the Title of King. He declined. He could have been President until he died, he quit after 2 terms. Those both are work related to being President.

While President he led an Army against an uprising, he went into the field and took command of the Army and lead them in battle as President.

True. Then again, saying "well, he didn't end the republic" doesn't really qualify as exceptional to me. That's also been true of the 42 men who have followed him in office.

True. Then again, saying "well, he didn't end the republic" doesn't really qualify as exceptional to me. That's also been true of the 42 men who have followed him in office.

NONE of them could have ended it.

Doesn't that undermine your argument that Washington was noble for not doing so?
I'm not arguing that Washington was a bad President (far from it), simply that he's undeservedly ranked higher than he should be.

Doesn't that undermine your argument that Washington was noble for not doing so?
I'm not arguing that Washington was a bad President (far from it), simply that he's undeservedly ranked higher than he should be.

No, ONLY George Washington was in a position to become King.

Forum List

Back