Where do you republicans draw the line on privatizing government services?

I think our roads, schools, police force, fire department, legal system, national parks, liberty's and social safetynet shouldn't ever be privatized.

I think we have gone to far already.

The schools suck. Online education, especially individualized by AI education programs will make them obsolete relatively soon. I hope.

1) Should the police and fire departments be privatized? yes, you can have as many as you can afford and demand they meet your standards and not a one size fits all standard.

2) How about our roads? You know, ANY roads funded by revenue that people can drive on? ever hear of a toll road?

the government has laws in place that force states to take only the lowest bid, that ensures that the road will fall apart quickly.

3) Oh and how about our water supply? No need for pesky environmental regulations in that case! never heard of well water...

4) Oooo here's another! Privatizing ALL schools without ANY pesky government red tape! again, setting higher standards, tossing unruly children instead of forcing them to fuck it up for everyone.

you should try thinking things through, that way you don't look like a fool

Government should only be involved in providing goods/services that cannot be efficiently provided by the private sector.

Exactly.

The OP is presenting a false dilemma - without distinguishing types of services by levels of government. It is simply not true that all non-liberals are against 'government'. The poison's in the dose. The more power the Federal government cedes to itself - the less of a Republic we become...the less accountability.

As you've aptly pointed out, the Federal government does some things very well to promote the 'general welfare - military, interstate highways, higher courts, immigration and overseeing the management of shared resources.

The lower levels of government are more attuned to the needs and wants of their residents, as well as offering greater transparency and accountability. To the states - state highways, management of state resources, educational oversight, collection of state taxes, state commerce, state level judiciary - and to the counties and cities - collection of taxes to fund education, police and fire, address specific local issues.

Federal funding to the states is a narcotic - too many states have become addicts, and their policies reflect that.

So to those who claim that Republicans, or conservatives, or deplorables hate government - to them I say: Not at all - we are well aware of the dangers of addiction and fatal overdose through the misuse of even the most beneficial of drugs.

I really want you to think this through. Think about every example of government service in this country and give me an answer on which ones should be privatized.

1) Should the police and fire departments be privatized?

"Sorry ma'am, we can't put out your fire because you can't give me the $500 fee my boss demands. I'm going to see if your neighbor will pay their fee so we can at least save their house before this blaze gets out of control."

"Sorry, fine couple, I can't do any forensic work on this crime scene that left your son dead unless you can pay the $1000 fee of Basic Investigation. If you give me $1500, we'll upgrade you to the Deluxe Package of actually arresting the prime suspect seen leaving the scene of the crime."

2) How about our roads? You know, ANY roads funded by revenue that people can drive on?

"Sorry, Sir, I can't let you leave Cincinnati without you forking over the toll of $200 that would allow you to leave and then return to your beloved city."

3) Oh and how about our water supply? No need for pesky environmental regulations in that case!

"Sir, our competition has dumped toxic waste in the Arkansas river that is in the center of our jurisdiction. What do we do?"

"Take them to court! We'll sue their asses off even if it takes months for us to get the damages to clean out the waste! Until then, we'll sell the citizens our Extra Clean bottled water."

4) Oooo here's another! Privatizing ALL schools without ANY pesky government red tape!

"Sorry, Ma'am, we can't let your straight-A son graduate his senior year because you're short on your premium this week. Oh and by the way, your 9th grade daughter can no longer show up to school until you pay. It's a shame. She's a fine student as well."

Everything should be privitized. Here's how it will work:

The Idea of a Private Law Society

Forum List

Back