Where do white people come from?

All this angst over Black History month (a yearly event, both Black history and the angst) got me wondering.

Why do white people divide themselves further into groups...i.e. Irish, German, Anglo-Saxon, etc?
If you are white, hispanic and black would you be able to celebrate black history month and hispanic heritage month?
Why do so many not consider hispanics to be white?
Why don't wingers celebrate European American history month?

Oh, jeesh! I forgot about the orientals. :redface:

Thoughts?

The term oriental originally referred to anybody who is not European.

Now here's the amsuing part of that.

The White subspecies originated in Asia.

Thus we are ALL orientals.

All this angst over Black History month (a yearly event, both Black history and the angst) got me wondering.

Why do white people divide themselves further into groups...i.e. Irish, German, Anglo-Saxon, etc?
If you are white, hispanic and black would you be able to celebrate black history month and hispanic heritage month?

Thoughts?

The term oriental originally referred to anybody who is not European.

Now here's the amsuing part of that.

The White subspecies originated in Asia.

Thus we are ALL orientals.

*Puzzled look*

To the UK via China?

If we did, we would be called racist.
So it's fear...:eusa_eh:

I don't see what they have in common, Ravi. Even assuming that all white people are European (and where that leaves Americans, Australians, Canadians, Russians, etc. I haven't a clue), they don't speak the same language. They don't have a cooperative history. They don't share the same climate.

"European culture" just seems to me like a goofy attempt to cobble together a whole bunch of people who traditionally have hated each other.

Yet you do EXACTLY that with Africans? All African blacks were not from the same tribe, same place or same culture. There are more language variations in Africa then in Europe. More distinct tribes , more distinct societies. So why should we have a month for as diverse a group as Africans?

I don't see what they have in common, Ravi. Even assuming that all white people are European (and where that leaves Americans, Australians, Canadians, Russians, etc. I haven't a clue), they don't speak the same language. They don't have a cooperative history. They don't share the same climate.

"European culture" just seems to me like a goofy attempt to cobble together a whole bunch of people who traditionally have hated each other.

Yet you do EXACTLY that with Africans? All African blacks were not from the same tribe, same place or same culture. There are more language variations in Africa then in Europe. More distinct tribes , more distinct societies. So why should we have a month for as diverse a group as Africans?

Because, RGS, those who were drug here on slave ships lost their connection to the old country. I'd imagine it is rare for a black American to know what nation his folks came from. Didn't you see "Roots"?

hahahaha, I see no one is (or can) disputing the points made in this video.

I'd imagine no one bothered to play it, Ian. I sure didn't. But let me take a wild guess...."blacks are inferior" is the theme?

Tank's a bit of a one trick pony whose one trick is biting his own butt.

I think the only time blacks are specifically mentioned is in reference to their shorter gestation time and greater infant maturity.

But at least Europe is a continent, as is Africa.

And? If it's "Support Your Continent" week here, someone needs to tell all the Latinophobes.
Apparently, the concept of "white people" came from Europeans...

Before the age of exploration, group differences were largely based on language, religion, and geography. ... the European had always reacted a bit hysterically to the differences of skin color and facial structure between themselves and the populations encountered in Africa, Asia, and the Americas (see, for example, Shakespeare's dramatization of racial conflict in Othello and The Tempest). Beginning in the 1500s, Europeans began to develop what became known as "scientific racism," the attempt to construct a biological rather than cultural definition of race ... Whiteness, then, emerged as what we now call a "pan-ethnic" category, as a way of merging a variety of European ethnic populations into a single "race" ...
—Gregory Jay, "Who Invented White People?"[14]

continental genetic clusters Maddy. it matters where your ancestors evolved, not where you live now.

Because, RGS, those who were drug here on slave ships lost their connection to the old country. I'd imagine it is rare for a black American to know what nation his folks came from. Didn't you see "Roots"?

actually, RGS is right. there is much more genetic diversity in africa than anywhere else. caucasians, asians and (native) indians went through genetic bottlenecks which is why they are easy to distinguish by DNA.

Thoughts?
On the part of some, I suppose. More a desire to be accepted by society. Consider the public opinion of a member of the NAACP vs a member of a historically all white social club.

"Race" as applied to humans is not a biologically sound concept...

Race as applied to humans is a purely social concept, and over time, the boundaries of who is and who is not considered "white" has changed quite a bit...

People seem to have a propensity to xenophobia or some other common character defect that makes them identify with the place where they were born or the religion they follow, etc. and to be antagonistic to at least some nearby neighbors....

I can't explain the white supremacist movement. I suspect it all comes down to inadequacy and fear, or mebbe they're just assholes.

1. Race is a very sound biological concept. A race is a SUBSPECIES, so yes, blacks and whites can have offspring. But as noted, all dogs are subspecies, and NOBODY suggests that different dog breeds are "equal" or that we're just evil dog racists dreaming up these differences in appearance, temperament, intelligence, etc.

A racial group is one that has bred in geographic isolation for a period of time long enough to have specific and identifiable traits. You can figure out race by looking at DNA, which can tell you "continent of origin"... Asian, African, Caucasian. Other groups are called 'clinal populations' by Oxford's John Baker... Arabs, Mestizos, etc.

2. Saying "race is a social construct" is not just wrong, scientifically, BUT NOBODY REALLY BELIEVES THAT. It's the fantasy bleatings of the out-of-touch college lefties. A white guy walks through "tha hood", and guess what, kids? THEY KNOW HE'S WHITE. Nobody says, "Yo, Tyrone, race is just a social construct. He could be as black as we are." Nope, no, no way.

3. In-group preference isn't a "character defect", it's evolutionarily developed. Groups competed for land and resources. They cooperated in-group, and competed out-group. Very simple concept.

4. Tell me why you think whites are "supremacists" compared to anyone else. Blacks all gather together to demand things. So does "La Raza", the state of Israel, you name it. All these are "racial supremacists", in a way. Why shouldn't whites have the same rights?

It is hard to figure out the quote thingie. And we have too many different topics under discussion at once.

If you feel up to it, why not post just one assertion of your own that you'd like to pursue? If there's more than one, mebbe use separate posts?

Good idea.
Thanks for the kind reply.
Again, I apologize for my poor computer skills...

The White people are the sons and daughters of the sun :thup: The eyes (the colour of a clear sky), the hair (the colour of the sun itself), and the skin (white being a sign of purity in numerous cultures around the world) serve as a sign to remind thee white race of where they come from.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back