Where do third world countries get there impression of the United States?

Beachboy

Irritated Indy Voter
Apr 8, 2013
Pacific Palisades, CA & Albuquerque, NM
This was a dinner party discussion last night. Of course our military and our news is out there. But, we do not think of the entertainment shows that are global. http://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/List_of_international_television_channels
Yes American programming is all over the world from "I love Lucy," to "True Blood." American comedy and drama create a unique image of our country.

Take the popular Showtime series "Dexter" about a serial killer. We Americans know there are serial killers out there, but probably very few, and the are of course psychopaths. But, how does an uneducated member of the third world see it? Do they think serial killers are common, and even worshiped by Americans because there is a TV show about them?

Next time you are viewing a television show consider how someone in Syria might perceive the United States from the show. Suddenly television programming is more than entertainment, it is reflection of what America likes. Check out this clip from "Dexter."

Last edited by a moderator:
Then of course there was Tom Hank's visit to Univision. Problem was he did not speak Spanish. As usual Tom Hanks made it work.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeOG5tN-Hu8]Tom Hanks en Univision "Despierta America": Hanks does the weather - YouTube[/ame]

Why am I reminded of the college prof that said, "No one has ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of people."

This is the reason why I enjoy watching foreign films it isn't directed to an American audience and is a greater reflection of the culture in which it originates. That said I'm sure foreign viewers are a bit more aware than you are making them out to be.

Next time you are viewing a television show consider how someone in Syria might perceive the United States from the show. Suddenly television programming is more than entertainment, it is reflection of what America likes. Check out this clip from "Dexter."
So we should restrict our freedoms and liberties so someone in Syria won't get a bad impression of us from our T.V. shows? How's about they restrict their deliberate killing of innocent civilians in their civil war so we don't get a bad impression of them from our T.V. shows?

selfie.jpg

Yea we should definitely make Syria a priority in deciding what we should allow ourselves to be entertained by :rolleyes:

6a00d83451d3b569e2019aff247e7c970d-pi

Interesting that you would mention that. The FX Network just aired the second episode of their new summer show, "Tyrant." The parallels to the dictatorBashar Al-Assad in Syria is uncanny, right down to what he did for a living as a doctor before becoming dictator. The series even blames his mother, as we know to be true real life. Looks like an effort to humiliate Al-Assad internationally. Now, that is what is called "the political use of television advertising," OR it is mere coincidence. :eusa_shifty: Check out this clip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jMhJW7-HUs"]Tyrant - First Look - YouTube[/ame]​

This was a dinner party discussion last night. Of course our military and our news is out there. But, we do not think of the entertainment shows that are global. http://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/List_of_international_television_channels
Yes American programming is all over the world from "I love Lucy," to "True Blood." American comedy and drama create a unique image of our country.

Take the popular Showtime series "Dexter" about a serial killer. We Americans know there are serial killers out there, but probably very few, and the are of course psychopaths. But, how does an uneducated member of the third world see it? Do they think serial killers are common, and even worshiped by Americans because there is a TV show about them?

Your post is ironic and comically under informed...

Almost every other Country in the world knows more about our Foreign Policy than the citizens of the USA.

Last edited:

Almost every other Country in the world knows more about our Foreign Policy than the citizens of the USA.

Gee, thanks for that update. Question is should I burn my BA degree in the political use of television advertising from UCDavis, or my MBA in advertising from Northwestern? Decisions, decisions.

200px-The_University_of_California_Davis.svg.png
9d7317be-4eed-471c-9445-c3d1be5e504f-m.png

Last edited:

Well true... but to be fair, that's only because they've had family killed by US foreign policy while citizens were vegging out to American Idol (what an apt name for that show.)

Why am I reminded of the college prof that said, "No one has ever lost a dime underestimating the intelligence of people."

The actual quote is, ""No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public" and came from H.L. Mencken. I use it often in illustration of lowest common denominator media and the hackneyed misinformed populace that it produces.

Ironical.

The actual quote is, ""No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public" and came from H.L. Mencken. I use it often in illustration of lowest common denominator media and the hackneyed misinformed populace that it produces.

Ironical.

As usual, you are lost in the details, and miss the point.

Like the quote, "History repeats itself because people failed to listen the first time," and "If you are a conservative at age 20, you have no heart. If you are a liberal at age 50 you have no brain." Many people are credited with their own wordings. Very sloppy work Pogo. Back on "ignore" you go!

OKVR4.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back