Where do republicans get this myth that Democrats believe welfare is the key to ending poverty?

It never was intended to end poverty. It was another way for dems to keep their voters in perpetual generational poverty and keep the votes rolling in. Dems could care less about anyone's welfare.

Can you "end" poverty?

We have spent trillions on a war machine and it hasn't ended war

Yes, "you can end poverty". Wars will never end. They'll continue to increase.

How do you "end poverty"? In fact, how do you even DEFINE poverty, when it shifts relative to the society and standard of living around it? I mean, we talk about "poverty" in the United States, but compared to countries less advanced, with lower standards of living, our poverty is comparable to their middle or even upper class?

I think you hit on it. Its a relevant term and compared to other countries that arent as fortunate as we are, I believe we can stop it. That doesn't mean there arent going to be dirt poor people but as a whole, poverty can be severely dented. Poverty has greatly increased under this president and its a travesty.

Well, admittedly, the country as a whole has gotten less prosperous thanks to free-range leftism in the last 7 years.

I have no problem with trying to make a better country for everyone. There's always room for improvement. But believing that we can ever "end" the fact that some people are going to be at the bottom end of the financial scale - or even that we SHOULD end it - leads to shitty policies and a worse country for everyone.

The war on poverty was designed to end poverty, the extension, public housing, head start, numerous federal programs to break the cycle have failed.......but the fact remains, generational poverty will remain a phenomenon until the family unit is held accountable and parent(s) assume the responsibility required to raise a child. Now they and the community ignore their responsibility and expect the government to do their job for them. Look into the backgrounds of those that broke the cycle and see what measures parent (s) employed to push children beyond their environment. The problem as I see it is the community in general frowns on those that aspire to overcome, just can't stand those that aspire for a better life.

INCORRECT

THE WAR OF POVERTY WAS DESIGNED TO GRANDSTAND FOR THE PARASITES AND GET THEM TO VOTE DEMOCRAT.

THE NEW AGENCIES THAT WERE CREATED WOULD EMPLOY BUREAUCRATS WHO WOULD BE LOYAL TO THE DEMOCRATS SINCE THEY WERE THE ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR CREATION.

Forum List

Back