CDZ Where did the jobs go, Mr. Trump?

New steel mills and the auto industry moved to the south...What hurt the US the most is cheap imports of products undermining our manufacturing base, which is what nations do to each other..

That is true. For an industry to continue with product development, the players need to be able to pull capital together. But American manufacturing has bled its money all away on faulty government regulations, employee pensions, and Union finances. So now if for example a New York construction company is looking for construction steel, they can only buy it from places like Sweden or China or India, otherwise they lose out on modern material advantages.

Most Americans believe that turning industries into financial schemes and sweatshops is the way to the future. Even Bangladesh knows that it is not.

American business problems are entirely self-inflicted, and have zero to do with unions or govt. regs, and everything to do with stupid management decisions, and subsidies to move overseas and take advantage of labor racketeering and transfer pricing schemes.

When they were all whining about 'Japanese dumping', the labor cost differences were only about and average of $600 per car, not enough to swing buyers to buy Japanese; the major cost differences came from such items as advertising, with the Japanese spending an average of $800 per car while GM and Ford were spending over $2,000+, and of course they also sold off their profitable subsidiaries for a quick buck and a good quarterly report, and zero concern for long term planning, among other things, like speeding up production lines and not caring about the consequent decrease in quality that causes. Meanwhile, the Japanese production lines were cranking out high quality using production methods developed by an American named Deming, ironically.

American businessmen and the financial sector merely lobbied for laws that made it a lot more profitable to to loot companies and run them into the ground than actually produce something.

Very interesting. So looks like it is the financial scheming that applies. And Americans still keep on pumping unlimited cash into them.
They are addicted to the products...Mitt Romney made a lot of his money by corporate raiding and after they depleted the retirement funds they would have the US govt. step in to pay off the retirement accounts under the FDIC. Thank goodness that companies that didn't do it are turning away from pensions and going into IRAs because they can't keep up with the increased cost of pension funding..

Yes but the IRA system seems to have the same effect, only at a larger scale such as nationally. It's fund managers and the bosses above them get unlimited and nameless cash to spend as a result of it. This extends the death of American manufacturing to the death of the country. None of these would be a problem though, hadn't Americans been programmed against mobility.

New steel mills and the auto industry moved to the south...What hurt the US the most is cheap imports of products undermining our manufacturing base, which is what nations do to each other..

That is true. For an industry to continue with product development, the players need to be able to pull capital together. But American manufacturing has bled its money all away on faulty government regulations, employee pensions, and Union finances. So now if for example a New York construction company is looking for construction steel, they can only buy it from places like Sweden or China or India, otherwise they lose out on modern material advantages.

Most Americans believe that turning industries into financial schemes and sweatshops is the way to the future. Even Bangladesh knows that it is not.

American business problems are entirely self-inflicted, and have zero to do with unions or govt. regs, and everything to do with stupid management decisions, and subsidies to move overseas and take advantage of labor racketeering and transfer pricing schemes.

When they were all whining about 'Japanese dumping', the labor cost differences were only about and average of $600 per car, not enough to swing buyers to buy Japanese; the major cost differences came from such items as advertising, with the Japanese spending an average of $800 per car while GM and Ford were spending over $2,000+, and of course they also sold off their profitable subsidiaries for a quick buck and a good quarterly report, and zero concern for long term planning, among other things, like speeding up production lines and not caring about the consequent decrease in quality that causes. Meanwhile, the Japanese production lines were cranking out high quality using production methods developed by an American named Deming, ironically.

American businessmen and the financial sector merely lobbied for laws that made it a lot more profitable to to loot companies and run them into the ground than actually produce something.

Very interesting. So looks like it is the financial scheming that applies. And Americans still keep on pumping unlimited cash into them.
They are addicted to the products...Mitt Romney made a lot of his money by corporate raiding and after they depleted the retirement funds they would have the US govt. step in to pay off the retirement accounts under the FDIC. Thank goodness that companies that didn't do it are turning away from pensions and going into IRAs because they can't keep up with the increased cost of pension funding..

Yes but the IRA system seems to have the same effect, only at a larger scale such as nationally. It's fund managers and the bosses above them get unlimited and nameless cash to spend as a result of it. This extends the death of American manufacturing to the death of the country. None of these would be a problem though, hadn't Americans been programmed against mobility.
What hurt the most is when funds were allowed to in certain sectors of the stock market and in other companies that have failed. My Ma in law worked for 30 years for the local school and lost it all after they invested it in a local construction company that had been stable for 40 years and then they disappeared after 2008..

What hurt the most is when funds were allowed to in certain sectors of the stock market and in other companies that have failed. My Ma in law worked for 30 years for the local school and lost it all after they invested it in a local construction company that had been stable for 40 years and then they disappeared after 2008..

the bond rating agencies are at fault for giving fake AAA ratings out to companies that were nothing but Ponzi schemes; many institutional investors were limited to investments in AAA's and their equivalent ratings at the other bond ratings outfits, and lost a lot of pension funds as a result.

'Da Ebul Guvmint' didn't hold guns to anybody's heads and force them to do that, either.

Here are some "car-industry" links I bookmarked over the course of my various personal inquiries into questions pertaining to automobile manufacturing in the U.S.
Some of that may be what you seek, some may not...I don't know for you didn't indicate for which of Fishlore's assertion(s) you desired corroboration.

Note:
Please don't respond to me about anything you find at the links above. I merely shared some of the info I have in my "Auto Manufacturing" bookmarks folder.

Here are some "car-industry" links I bookmarked over the course of my various personal inquiries into questions pertaining to automobile manufacturing in the U.S.
Some of that may be what you seek, some may not...I don't know for you didn't indicate for which of Fishlore's assertion(s) you desired corroboration.

Note:
Please don't respond to me about anything you find at the links above. I merely shared some of the info I have in my "Auto Manufacturing" bookmarks folder.
As I've posted many times before, US manufacturing has double in the last 35 years.
And 87% of lost manufacturing jobs have been automated.
Automation comes in, jobs go out.
Companies make a fortune.
Companies buy Republicans politicians who vote to give corporations tax breaks.
Corporations say they need the tax breaks to create jobs.
The GOP base believes the lie and votes GOP.
Cycle goes on.

The American South has a long history of stealing jobs from the North with promises of free land, low taxes, cheap labor, and police terrorism to prevent unions. The first big push was the textile industry which migrated South in the early 1900. Those plants subsequently moved overseas.

Next was forest products and furniture. Those jobs have also moved operations overseas importing cheap furniture from China.

The automotive assembly industry has been lured from around the world by tax breaks which essentially offer foreign manufacturers free facilities. Union organization has been ferociously suppressed by a team of elected officials, banks and the news media.

The Southern model is the slave plantation. Jobs, especially good jobs, go to whites first. Dixie is a parasite on the national economy and uses its one-party politics to suck off huge defense contracts, military bases etc.

Note:
As I've posted many times before, US manufacturing has double in the last 35 years.
Cycle goes on.

Of course the do. Tax break = more retained earnings = greater profitability, which may or may not, as the company's management sees fit result in expansion whereby more employees are needed.

For example, in my firm, the more we grow, the more people we need. In a capital-intensive business, only the large enough growth to necessitates more labor to operate/use the marginal additions to capital equipment and facilities militates for more labor, more jobs.

the bond rating agencies are at fault for giving fake AAA ratings out to companies that were nothing but Ponzi schemes; many institutional investors were limited to investments in AAA's and their equivalent ratings at the other bond ratings outfits, and lost a lot of pension funds as a result.

'Da Ebul Guvmint' didn't hold guns to anybody's heads and force them to do that, either.
You would think the feds would have made a little tweek in the system after Enron hit the news and other companies that bellied up for the same reason, trying to make fudge with the books by cooking them..

You would think the feds would have made a little tweek in the system after Enron hit the news and other companies that bellied up for the same reason, trying to make fudge with the books by cooking them..

Since just the banking industry alone has literally 3 lobbyists for every legislator in the House and Senate, all with big slush funds, it's not rocket science to see why such tweaks never amount to anything.

Note:
Cycle goes on.

Those tax breaks creates industrial park's across the South that used to be farm land and low wages.

You guys just stick with raising taxes and watch more company's say heck with you.

I can imagine that the likes of Enron are actually beneficial to the Feds rather than bad. They reduce the size of their exclusive club when they fall. So as a result, less hands to cut the loot for and less interference to decision making.

Since just the banking industry alone has literally 3 lobbyists for every legislator in the House and Senate, all with big slush funds, it's not rocket science to see why such tweaks never amount to anything.

American consolidation? One would have thought that the establishment of General Electric by JP Morgan was it. But no, this is more like it now.

American consolidation? One would have thought that the establishment of General Electric by JP Morgan was it. But no, this is more like it now.

Yes. The Reagan era made the trusts of the late 19th century look like a wide open free for all compared to the handful of corporations dominating every important industry of today, for banking to ag to tech. It's a very small club, which is also the main reason for the crash; so much paper floating around that only two or three players dried up liquidity overnight in the derivatives and CDO markets.

Forum List

Back