Where did the American jobs go???

freeandfun1 said:
you know working, you must be young. otherwise, you would recall that in the 80's, the same thing was said about the US. But then, it was the Japanese that were going to buy our nation. Today, it is the Chinese (according to you and a few other liberals).

The economy runs in cycles. In the late 80's, the dollar was strong and so we shipped a lot of jobs overseas. In the early 90's, the dollar weakened, manufacturing came back to the USA and then, in the late 90's, Clinton let his buddy Soros cause an economic catastrophy in Asia which led US manufacturers to once again outsourcing jobs to Asia to cut costs and to compete with the Euro. Now, the dollar is weakening and before long, the jobs will start coming back to the USA. This is not a new cycle. It is one that has been occuring since the end of WWII and before that I am sure. Already our exports are increasing (due to a weak dollar) and yes, we are importing, but one thing they don't mention is that a lot of the imports are being imported from US manufacturers with facilities overseas. As I said, if the dollar keeps weakening, it will be cheaper to MFR here and the jobs will come back.

Economy Runs in cycles?? Dude, I will be F'n dead way before the economy improves in this country.. We DON'T have the same industrial base in this country that we had in the late 1800's through the 1960's.. If you don't have it, you can't cycle back.. Too many generations lost I think.

Working Man said:
What are the stats for American youth taking advanced math courses and getting into the engineering industries???

http://www.ed.gov/news/pressreleases/2004/12/12142004.html

U.S. Students Show Improvement in International Mathematics and Science Assessment
U.S. fourth- and eighth-graders score well above international average in 46-nation TIMSS study

Oh yeh, but you don't know, or understand, why automotive technology is so important for the US economy... I will not waste your time, or mine explaining it to you..

We appreciate that. :rolleyes:

Working Man said:
I want the cars made here so we can get some jobs, technology, and self esteem.

all my cars i have bought have been either ford, chevy, or dodge...i have never had any issues other than basic parts that just wear out. all my cars, except my current car, have had 135k+ miles. My 89 grand am had 275k when i sold it to my dad's co-worker. it still is running, after he had to replace a head gasket, which is one of those parts that eventually wear out.

before anyone bitches about US jobs going elsewhere, check the vin of your own car. the first digit will tell you its manuf location.

if your car has any other digit other than 1-5...you are a hypocrite. i admit, my car was made in canada. but i would rather it be there than outside North America.

1=US
2=canada
3=mexico
4=US
5=US
J=Japan
S=Britain
W=Germany

Working Man said:
Economy Runs in cycles?? Dude, I will be F'n dead way before the economy improves in this country.. We DON'T have the same industrial base in this country that we had in the late 1800's through the 1960's.. If you don't have it, you can't cycle back.. Too many generations lost I think.

Typcial lib. I am wrong because you say so? Fuck you.

sagegirl said:
Where did the jobs go...bottom line, profit margin, and greed.
Ask your local union where the jobs are, since they are the ones that made companies outsource the jobs. You are correct, it comes down to profit margin, after all, one doesn't go into business to lose money or break even. You go into business to make money.
Unions have made so many demands on businesses that it's cheaper to outsource the job. Why spend the extra money on Americans who demand high hourly wages, medical and dental insurance, hourly breaks, etc when you can go to India, Mexico or other places and find labor for cheap?
Americans need to start realizing that a job with excellant pay and benefits isn't a constitutional right.

Doc Holiday said:
Ask your local union where the jobs are, since they are the ones that made companies outsource the jobs. You are correct, it comes down to profit margin, after all, one doesn't go into business to lose money or break even. You go into business to make money.
Unions have made so many demands on businesses that it's cheaper to outsource the job. Why spend the extra money on Americans who demand high hourly wages, medical and dental insurance, hourly breaks, etc when you can go to India, Mexico or other places and find labor for cheap?
Americans need to start realizing that a job with excellant pay and benefits isn't a constitutional right.

I agree completely.

Forum List

Back