Where can you get coal for fireplace

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Where can you get cheap coal to burn in a fireplace to warm the house.

1# Cheap
2# A few tons to keep the house warm this winter
Hopefully it will be cheaper then what I currently pay to keep warm.:eusa_whistle: Electric power cost to damn much. Normally, I try to use wood, but that can get to be a bitch.

Anthracite

Last edited:

1# Cheap
Hopefully it will be cheaper then what I currently pay to keep warm.:eusa_whistle: Electric power cost to damn much. Normally, I try to use wood, but that can get to be a bitch.

Anthracite

Any slag heap in West Virginia. They're all over the place.

1# Cheap

Anthracite
Sorry. Your masters send the excess to China. Highest bidder !!! Kaptalizm for ya.

1# Cheap

Anthracite
buy a wood pellet metal bucket....they are made to put in your wood stove or fireplace to burn....the pellets seem like they would be easier to handle than coal or wood. you can find the pellet delivers in the yellow pages or buy by the 40 lb bag at places like Sam's club.

1# Cheap

Anthracite

There is a reason why people don't burn coal in fireplaces moron. Burning coal emits extremely toxic byproducts. On the other hand...Go for it. If you can find enough paint chips to eat as well you will hardly notice the effects.

You can't burn coal in a fireplace amigo, you have to get a stove insert. Coal burns from the bottom up and the grates have to be shaken. Even if you could somehow find a way to manipulate it to keep it burning, it wouldn't give much heat as coal burns very hot and it would go right up the chimney.

1# Cheap

Anthracite

Good idea if you wanna die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you want to burn coal, get a STOVE and make damned sure it doesn't leak.

I damned near died from a leaking coal fired furnace that leaked carbon monoxide in the ducts leading into my room when I was kid.

I mean when the doctor first found me (doctors USED to come to people's homes, remember) , he told my mother that I was dead because he could find no pulse. AS my distraught mohter and doctor were rushing what they thought was my corpse to the hospital, my mother opened the window and the fresh air brought me back from near death.

I spend like three weeks in the hospital under observation when I was 4.

Yeah, it was THAT close.

Last edited:
You can't burn coal in a fireplace amigo, you have to get a stove insert. Coal burns from the bottom up and the grates have to be shaken. Even if you could somehow find a way to manipulate it to keep it burning, it wouldn't give much heat as coal burns very hot and it would go right up the chimney.

That's funny. My grandmother burned coal in her fireplaces for as long as she lived in her house. Her fireplaces were equipped for the burning of coal. It kept you REAL warm on the front side, but your butt about froze!

1# Cheap

Anthracite

Good idea if you wanna die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you want to burn coal, get a STOVE and make damned sure it doesn't leak.

I damned near died from a leaking coal fired furnace that leaked carbon monoxide in the ducts leading into my room when I was kid.

I mean when the doctor first found me (doctors USED to come to people's homes, remember) , he told my mother that I was dead because he could find no pulse. AS my distraught mohter and doctor were rushing what they thought was my corpse to the hospital, my mother opened the window and the fresh air brought me back from near death.

I spend like three weeks in the hospital under observation when I was 4.

Yeah, it was THAT close.

Not just coal that does that.

That's funny. My grandmother burned coal in her fireplaces for as long as she lived in her house. Her fireplaces were equipped for the burning of coal. It kept you REAL warm on the front side, but your butt about froze!

did you spend a lot of time at her house inhaling fumes? that would explain a lot now wouldnt it.

You think burning wood can be a problem? You will love the soot and smell from coal.

And yes you can burn coal in a fireplace, but it must be a good concrete/brick type of fireplace you will burn down your house if you burn coal in a metal insert type of fireplace designed for wood.

And the price for coal?
Here in KY where we have plenty of coal decent house coal is around $150.00/ton.

When I grew up it took about 7 tons to heat our home during a winter.
You do the math.

Last edited:
you cant burn coal in a regular wood fireplace....why would you want to...what is the reason you prefer coal to wood? wood is damn near free....just some work....

get a fireplace insert that will burn coal and wood

invest in chimney brushes......we purchased two....years ago....28 or so....they were about 20 bucks each...saved us money all year.....we clean the chimney a few times a winter....if a warm day come along where we can shut down the stove..we clean the chimney......

You think burning wood can be a problem? You will love the soot and smell from coal.

And yes you can burn coal in a fireplace, but it must be a good concrete/brick type of fireplace you will burn down your house if you burn coal in a metal insert type of fireplace.

Soot can be a big problem. Particularly if you hang your laundry outside. But the sulphur smell is biting. When I got off the plane in Beijing, I recognized the smell immediately. The air there is horribly dirty due to their use of coal. China is a very coal rich country. But because they use it the air is really bad.

New Topics

Forum List

Back