Where can I educate myself politically?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tooAlive, Oct 30, 2012.

1. tooAlive

tooAlive Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I joined up with the hopes of learning about politics. But I've realized it's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

The problem I've been having is distinguishing the real facts from someones opinion. You see, I've noticed that many posters are pretty biased in their comments. And I speak in regards to both parties.

I'll admit even I tend to get carried away often times and will come off as ignorant some times. I'm sure some of you have picked up on my right lean by now.

Anyways, as a truly honest question, where can I go to find the most accurate information? Granted, I believe most sources will have their leaning regardless. But there must be at least some that call it as it is, right?

I'm 21 and have recently begun to understand just how important being informed is. Which is why I want to educate myself. I want to know the nitty gritty. I want to know what's really going on. But there's so much information out there and different sources that it's a little overwhelming.

Thanks, I appreciate all your replies; NaziCons and Liberturds alike. :D

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,467
    C-Span
    POTUS on Sirius Radio
    PBS
    NPR

Good luck.

3. Shelzin

Shelzin Equal Opportunity Asshole

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    You can only really do one thing... Think for yourself. It's not possible to get the truth by listening to only one side.

4. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,265
    Anywhere but here...

Take a few critical thought and logic classes and apply them to everything you read, see, or hear.

In the end, all of it is nothing more than opinion, and like assholes, everyone has one.

5. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,285
    Common sense should tell you what to support what to oppose what to believe in.

If you don't have any, you'll probably end up a conservative.

6. there4eyeM

there4eyeM unlicensed metaphysician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,300
    You have laudable intentions. This is probably not the environment most fertile for your progress. Remember, everyone has some point to make and that is OK. You will have to do your own personal filtering to see what seems correct to you. In the end, a person believes what she/he decides to believe.

I started off intellectual life pretty far to the right. Experience taught me to be eclectic. What works is the measure. Religion, ideology, -isms are OK, but it is not necessary to associate one's self with a particular set. Be you.

7. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,472

I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or feel bad for you!

My recommendation is to do what you can to get the whole story, so that you can make your own decisions and form your own opinion. And if you truly want to be on top of the political scene, there is unfortunately no one place to go to get the whole story. No matter what a network or website claims, it's highly likely that it leans in one direction or the other. So you have no choice but to reference several different sources.

Whether you're watching/listening to a "news" broadcast (where they're claiming to be giving you the news and not opinion), or an admitted advocate (Limbaugh, Maddow, Hannity, Schultz, etc), ask yourself these questions:

• What information are they leaving out of what they're saying in an effort to sway my opinion?
    • What information are they spinning or distorting to sway my opinion?
    • Where can I go to get an opposing view?
    Then all you can do is gather as much information as you can, synthesize it on your own, and form your opinions. Just remember - Networks and publications and web sites that claim to be unbiased probably are not. I guarantee you, there's a decent chance that whomever you're watching or reading or listening to is bending the story one way or the other. The right wingers will tell you that you can get the straight scoop from Fox and the National Review; the left wingers will tell you can get the straight scoop from MSNBC and NPR. Don't believe it, get several sources.

Be curious, always. Be intellectually honest with yourself. And holy crap, good luck.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. francoHFW

francoHFW Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,624
    Search for "Guilty of Just Thinking- the Series" at the Barnes and Noble.com website. Parts 1 and 7 are memoirs, 2-6 classic political argument and 8-10 pure politics. Haha...

Don't trust ANYTHING from the Pub propaganda machine: Rush, Beck, Fox, RW webstites, Blogs, notice the 15 pages of RW institutes, orgs, websites that cover the same Pubcrappe stories every time within minutes. Check everything at Snopes and other factcheckers.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    STep 1 --turn off your TV and radio. Talking heads will NOT give you the real story, they will only pick and choose facts that support their POV.

Step 2 -- start reading history and study MACROeconomic theory beginning with Adam Smith and working your way through today's BEST conservative AND liberal economists.

Step 3 - after ten years or so of study you ought to be conversant enough with your society and how it REALLY works to make up you OWN mind.

Do NOT be surprised if after all that study you conclude that both DEMS AND REPS are entirely full of beans and unmitigating LIARS, too.

10. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Trust nor embrace either extreme. There's always an agenda..most times revolving around money and/or power. I happen to lean left....but I'm always on the lookout for stuff from both sides that rub me the wrong way.

Right wing media is scary....they are so obvious in their rhetoric, plus they have a whole slew of billionaires and Corporations at their disposal to fund that media and further their cause. They've hooked good Christian people into their fold by focusing on gays and abortion, and got them to learn to have a sense of disdain for the poor and a sense of worship of the wealthy. What is their agenda? It should be pretty obvious....to acquire as much wealth and power as possible and to eliminate as much competition as possible. They will use words like freedom and liberty, and catch phrases like American Exceptionalism and personal responsibility to capture the minds of everyday Americans....hitting on their inherent sense of pride and patriotism. These power brokers are behind every free trade agreement that has made them wealthy beyond their wildest dreams and have screwed the American workforce and has put our country in a tough situation.....their greed means more to them than people or country.

Likewise....on the left....there is an agenda. That agenda seems to be one of government dependence....I happen to think that it's done with the best of intentions...but good intentions doesn't necessarily mean good results. While I don't think anyone on the left are looking to turn the United States into a Communist country like some of the posters on the right, I do believe that a slide into tyranny is something we should always be aware of.

I know that I'm giving a lot of opinion and little in the way of advice.....I guess the one piece of advice I can give you is this.....

I had a severe work related back injury....I work for the Commonwealth of PA. I have a physical job and was attempting to try to find a more sedentary job within the Commonwealth. I was driving an hour and a half to the Civil Service commission in Harrisburg on a regular basis....during those trips to Civil Service tests, I'd listen to AM talk radio....I'd listen to Beck and Rush.

One thing they kept talking about was "critical thinking"....the ability to ask yourself "what is the agenda? Who benefits? Who gets hurt?" It's actually good advice.....except that it needs to be applied equally across the board...not just in the opposite direction of your ideology.

That's the problem....FOX and the AM radio boys will only apply those skills towards Obama and Democrats.....The people on MSNBC will only apply them to Republicans.

Sorry for being long winded and interjecting my opinions so much.