Where can I educate myself politically?

tooAlive

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2012
United States
I joined up with the hopes of learning about politics. But I've realized it's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

The problem I've been having is distinguishing the real facts from someones opinion. You see, I've noticed that many posters are pretty biased in their comments. And I speak in regards to both parties.

I'll admit even I tend to get carried away often times and will come off as ignorant some times. I'm sure some of you have picked up on my right lean by now.

Anyways, as a truly honest question, where can I go to find the most accurate information? Granted, I believe most sources will have their leaning regardless. But there must be at least some that call it as it is, right?

I'm 21 and have recently begun to understand just how important being informed is. Which is why I want to educate myself. I want to know the nitty gritty. I want to know what's really going on. But there's so much information out there and different sources that it's a little overwhelming.

Thanks, I appreciate all your replies; NaziCons and Liberturds alike. :D

Last edited:
I joined up with the hopes of learning about politics. But I've realized it's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

The problem I've been having is distinguishing the real facts from someones opinion. You see, I've noticed that many posters are pretty biased in their comments. And I speak in regards to both parties.

I'll admit even I tend to get carried away often times and will come off as ignorant some times. I'm sure some of you have picked up on my right lean by now.

Anyways, as a truly honest question, where can I go to find the most accurate information? Granted, I believe most sources will have their leaning regardless. But there must be at least some that call it as it is, right?

I'm 21 and have recently begun to understand just how important being informed is. Which is why I want to educate myself. I want to know the nitty gritty. I want to know what's really going on. But there's so much information out there and different sources that it's a little overwhelming.

You can only really do one thing... Think for yourself. It's not possible to get the truth by listening to only one side.

Anywhere but here...

Take a few critical thought and logic classes and apply them to everything you read, see, or hear.

In the end, all of it is nothing more than opinion, and like assholes, everyone has one.

Common sense should tell you what to support what to oppose what to believe in.

If you don't have any, you'll probably end up a conservative.

You have laudable intentions. This is probably not the environment most fertile for your progress. Remember, everyone has some point to make and that is OK. You will have to do your own personal filtering to see what seems correct to you. In the end, a person believes what she/he decides to believe.

I started off intellectual life pretty far to the right. Experience taught me to be eclectic. What works is the measure. Religion, ideology, -isms are OK, but it is not necessary to associate one's self with a particular set. Be you.

I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or feel bad for you!

My recommendation is to do what you can to get the whole story, so that you can make your own decisions and form your own opinion. And if you truly want to be on top of the political scene, there is unfortunately no one place to go to get the whole story. No matter what a network or website claims, it's highly likely that it leans in one direction or the other. So you have no choice but to reference several different sources.

Whether you're watching/listening to a "news" broadcast (where they're claiming to be giving you the news and not opinion), or an admitted advocate (Limbaugh, Maddow, Hannity, Schultz, etc), ask yourself these questions:

• What information are they leaving out of what they're saying in an effort to sway my opinion?
  • What information are they spinning or distorting to sway my opinion?
  • Where can I go to get an opposing view?
Then all you can do is gather as much information as you can, synthesize it on your own, and form your opinions. Just remember - Networks and publications and web sites that claim to be unbiased probably are not. I guarantee you, there's a decent chance that whomever you're watching or reading or listening to is bending the story one way or the other. The right wingers will tell you that you can get the straight scoop from Fox and the National Review; the left wingers will tell you can get the straight scoop from MSNBC and NPR. Don't believe it, get several sources.

Be curious, always. Be intellectually honest with yourself. And holy crap, good luck.

Search for "Guilty of Just Thinking- the Series" at the Barnes and Noble.com website. Parts 1 and 7 are memoirs, 2-6 classic political argument and 8-10 pure politics. Haha...

Don't trust ANYTHING from the Pub propaganda machine: Rush, Beck, Fox, RW webstites, Blogs, notice the 15 pages of RW institutes, orgs, websites that cover the same Pubcrappe stories every time within minutes. Check everything at Snopes and other factcheckers.

Last edited:

STep 1 --turn off your TV and radio. Talking heads will NOT give you the real story, they will only pick and choose facts that support their POV.

Step 2 -- start reading history and study MACROeconomic theory beginning with Adam Smith and working your way through today's BEST conservative AND liberal economists.

Step 3 - after ten years or so of study you ought to be conversant enough with your society and how it REALLY works to make up you OWN mind.

Do NOT be surprised if after all that study you conclude that both DEMS AND REPS are entirely full of beans and unmitigating LIARS, too.

Trust nor embrace either extreme. There's always an agenda..most times revolving around money and/or power. I happen to lean left....but I'm always on the lookout for stuff from both sides that rub me the wrong way.

Right wing media is scary....they are so obvious in their rhetoric, plus they have a whole slew of billionaires and Corporations at their disposal to fund that media and further their cause. They've hooked good Christian people into their fold by focusing on gays and abortion, and got them to learn to have a sense of disdain for the poor and a sense of worship of the wealthy. What is their agenda? It should be pretty obvious....to acquire as much wealth and power as possible and to eliminate as much competition as possible. They will use words like freedom and liberty, and catch phrases like American Exceptionalism and personal responsibility to capture the minds of everyday Americans....hitting on their inherent sense of pride and patriotism. These power brokers are behind every free trade agreement that has made them wealthy beyond their wildest dreams and have screwed the American workforce and has put our country in a tough situation.....their greed means more to them than people or country.

Likewise....on the left....there is an agenda. That agenda seems to be one of government dependence....I happen to think that it's done with the best of intentions...but good intentions doesn't necessarily mean good results. While I don't think anyone on the left are looking to turn the United States into a Communist country like some of the posters on the right, I do believe that a slide into tyranny is something we should always be aware of.

I know that I'm giving a lot of opinion and little in the way of advice.....I guess the one piece of advice I can give you is this.....

I had a severe work related back injury....I work for the Commonwealth of PA. I have a physical job and was attempting to try to find a more sedentary job within the Commonwealth. I was driving an hour and a half to the Civil Service commission in Harrisburg on a regular basis....during those trips to Civil Service tests, I'd listen to AM talk radio....I'd listen to Beck and Rush.

One thing they kept talking about was "critical thinking"....the ability to ask yourself "what is the agenda? Who benefits? Who gets hurt?" It's actually good advice.....except that it needs to be applied equally across the board...not just in the opposite direction of your ideology.

That's the problem....FOX and the AM radio boys will only apply those skills towards Obama and Democrats.....The people on MSNBC will only apply them to Republicans.

Sorry for being long winded and interjecting my opinions so much.

Such advice, TooAlive.

While you will find leaning in most sources, you will also find FACTS in some. If you are unable to acknowledge facts for fear that the person or persons giving them to you are biased, you will end up a cynical bitch who thinks everyone is always lying to you.

There are some absolute facts that you can file away and return to when reading or viewing sources. Let me get you started.

The earth is round.

President Obama was born in Hawaii.

The US economy is stronger now than it was on January 20th, 2009.

The US economy is still weaker than we need it to be for growth and prosperity.

Taxes are lower now than they have been in your lifetime.

Mitt Romney supported the War in Vietnam while avoiding service in same.

Absolute facts. They make decisions much easier.

Find them and use them.

Other than reading on your own, college courses, etc., make sure your education is broad. If you limit yourself to moveon.org or stormfront and places only like those, you will be come irrational and out of touch.,

Try RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Videos and Polls. Read all of the new articles daily. Within a short time you will grasp the basics and you will know which areas in which you want to study more.

Best of luck.

Unsubscribe.

Common sense should tell you what to support what to oppose what to believe in.

That's one opinion...

I recommend avoiding appeals to "common sense". There really isn't any such thing and, in my experience, those invoking it are trying to sell you something. Something you might not want.

Last edited:

Read as much as you can and watch the news and decide for yourself.

The key to those who would deceive you is the massive amount of lies they're pumping out in and attempt to confuse you. They put out so much false information that everything seems to be false.

If you want liberal propaganda watch NPR, MSNBC, CBS, CNN, ABC, and Comedy Central.

If you want the whole story with a right leaning slant watch Fox News.

If you want the truth forget about it because it's impossible to get it. Best to just use common-sense and try to decide for yourself by keeping as informed as you can be.

The best way--really the only way--to truly educate yourself about politics is to read both sides of each issue. The only website that genuinely gives you both sides is Real Clear Politics (RCP). On every single issue, RCP gives you one or two articles from the left and one or two articles from the right.

RealClearPolitics

Beyond that, you just need to read articles from some of the main conservative and liberal websites. There are also a few "moderate/centrist/independent" websites that are worth checking out. I would recommend the following:

Conservative:

Heritage Foundation
Townhall.com
Hoover Institution
Human Events

Liberal:

Center for American Progress
Huffington Post
Drudge Retort (not to be confused with the right-leaning Drudge Report)

Moderate:

Brookings Institution
The Independent Institute

Last edited:
The best way--really the only way--to truly educate yourself about politics is to read both sides of each issue. The only website that genuinely gives you both sides is Real Clear Politics (RCP). On every single issue, RCP gives you one or two articles from the left and one or two articles from the right.

RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Videos and Polls

Beyond that, you just need to read articles from some of the main conservative and liberal websites. There are also a few "moderate/centrist/independent" websites that are worth checking out. I would recommend the following:

Conservative:

Issues
Conservative news, politics, opinion, breaking news analysis, political cartoons and commentary
Hoover Institution
Conservative News, Views & Books - HUMAN EVENTS

Liberal:

Huffington Post Status
Drudge Retort: The Other Side of the News (not to be confused with the right-leaning Drudge Report)

Moderate:

Brookings - Quality. Independence. Impact.

Here's something else I would suggest as vital: understand that there are more than two "sides". The left/right map is an arbitrary device we use to map certain political differences - but it ignores more than it illuminates. Look up the Nolan chart for an alternative view. Left and Right (and even "Moderate" when it's cast in left/right terms) isn't the whole story.

Also, learn about corporatism.

Conservative:

Issues
Conservative news, politics, opinion, breaking news analysis, political cartoons and commentary
Hoover Institution

Liberal:

Huffington Post Status
Drudge Retort: The Other Side of the News (not to be confused with the right-leaning Drudge Report)

Moderate:

Here's something else I would suggest as vital: understand that there are more than two "sides". The left/right map is an arbitrary device we use to map certain political differences - but it ignores more than it illuminates. Look up the Nolan chart for an alternative view. Left and Right (and even "Moderate" when it's cast in left/right terms) isn't the whole story.[/URL].

I partially agree, and I think you'll find that the Brookings Institution and the Independent Institute are definitely credible alternatives to the standard left-vs.-right paradigm. However, on many issues it really does boil down to two basic camps--one left of center and one right of center.

Conservative:

Issues
Hoover Institution

Liberal:

Huffington Post Status

Moderate:

Here's something else I would suggest as vital: understand that there are more than two "sides". The left/right map is an arbitrary device we use to map certain political differences - but it ignores more than it illuminates. Look up the Nolan chart for an alternative view. Left and Right (and even "Moderate" when it's cast in left/right terms) isn't the whole story.[/URL].

I partially agree, and I think you'll find that the Brookings Institution and the Independent Institute are definitely credible alternatives to the standard left-vs.-right paradigm. However, on many issues it really does boil down to two basic camps--one left of center and another right of center.

Well, that's one opinion. ;)

I see both of the dominant parties today pursuing essentially the same ideology despite their relative sales pitches. The differences between them are trumpeted by a compliant media to distract us, but they are little more than distraction. When you look at the 'big ticket' items - foreign policy, the welfare state, civil liberties, corporatist government - the big two are in agreement far more often than not. They're just bickering over who gets to be in charge this time around.

RealClearPolitics

Conservative:

Heritage Foundation
Townhall.com
Hoover Institution
Human Events

Liberal:

Huffington Post

Moderate:

Brookings Institution

First let me applaud you for your decision to make informed choices!! ^^^ This is pretty good info but can fill your head with all kinds of stuff, lots of difference of opinion.

As far as posters on this board, if I were to choose one that is truly a moderate, I would definitely go with Mac1958. Pay attention to his posts, he very professionally calls the BS on both sides. Classy poster!!

Sorry Mac, I don't want you to have a stalker but you are a voice of reason. You've called me out more than once and made me think and research some more.

Good luck, you're going to make some mistakes, only with experience will you be able to sort the facts from the spin (most of the time). Don't let the mistakes get you down, you're going to make informed decisions and that's what really matters.

Last edited:

RealClearPolitics

Conservative:

Heritage Foundation
Townhall.com
Hoover Institution
Human Events

Liberal:

Huffington Post

Moderate:

Brookings Institution

First let me applaud you for your decision to make informed choices!! ^^^ This is pretty good info but can fill your head with all kinds of stuff, lots of difference of opinion.

As far as posters on this board, if I were to choose one that is truly a moderate, I would definitely go with Marc1958. Pay attention to his posts, he very professionally calls the BS on both sides. Classy poster!!

Sorry Marc, I don't want you to have a stalker but you are a voice of reason. You've called me out more than once and made me think and research some more.

Good luck, you're going to make some mistakes, only with experience will you be able to sort the facts from the spin (most of the time). Don't let the mistakes get you down, you're going to make informed decisions and that's what really matters.

That's very kind of you naturegirl, much appreciated - but if you don't start calling me "Mac" instead of "Marc" I'm gonna take you off my Christmas list!

:lol:

Forum List

Back