Where are the unsafe bridges?

So were these not "Shovel ready" 2 years ago? Did they all become unsound because of the Tea Party?

Try the Sherman Minton bridge from Louisville, ky. to New Albany Indiana...
:eusa_eh:
Sherman Minton Bridge closed indefinitely due to structural cracks
Sep. 9, 2011 | The Sherman Minton Bridge was closed late Friday afternoon and will remain shut down indefinitely after officials discovered cracks in the span.
Will Wingfield, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Transportation, said officials "do not have an estimate" on how long it will take to repair and reopen the bridge, which carries Interstate 64 traffic across the Ohio River. Wingfield said the cracks were found in two steel support beams below the lower deck closer to the Kentucky side. The bridge, which links New Albany with Louisville, is maintained by Indiana, and it was closed by order of Gov. Mitch Daniels.

In New Albany, chaos ignited shortly after police shut down the approaches to the bridge after rush hour. Traffic was so snarled that police were dispatched to several intersections to keep order. "I hope that this is a wake-up call on cross-river mobility," said Kerry Stemler, co-chairman of the Ohio River Bridges Authority. He was attending a fundraiser at the Carnegie Center for Art & History in downtown New Albany. "This shows how important these bridges are to the community and the region."

The closing leaves motorists in Kentucky and Indiana looking for alternate routes across the river. Late Friday, transportation officials were encouraging motorists to use Interstate 65, the Kennedy and Second Street bridges and Interstate 265 while an official plan is devised over the weekend. Wingfield said officials plan to take their time in determining what needs to be done. "Anytime you make a repair to a bridge, you need to understand what impacts that has on the larger structure, you don't want to make a repair in one regard and make additional complications in another," he said. Louisville metro government and Indiana transportation officials are to work through the weekend to devise a plan "to ensure the smooth flow of traffic in the days and weeks ahead," Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said in a statement.

"We will be working around the clock to be prepared for rush hour on Monday morning," he said. "The public's safety is the most important concern and, with the information we now have, closing the bridge is the right decision until we can further assess the situation."

More Sherman Minton Bridge closed indefinitely due to structural cracks | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

So I have to ask again, were these not "Shovel ready" projects 2 years ago? Did the Tea Party sabotage them?

So I have to ask again, were these not "Shovel ready" projects 2 years ago? Did the Tea Party sabotage them?

No. But propose government spending to fix them and who will yell, scream and cry the loudest?

What does that have to do with them being "Shovel ready"?

So you dumb fucks pissed away almost $1T in Failed Stimulus, Obama was laughing about "not shovel ready" and now you're telling us our bridges need repair.

Do you see why only the hard core Leftists Lunatic Fringe thinks you guys deserve to remain in office?

Last edited:
Could this be one?

Eng2.jpg

:lol:

Obviously that was a wicked bridge. You can tell because a house fell on it.

Can anyone give me a link to the location of the unsafe bridges Obama is talking about. I heard someone say Obama isn't telling but I thought I saw someone else say it is known.

But I'm not sure what thread that is in.

Appreciate the help. Thanks.
The U.S. Federal Highway Administration says that 152,316 of the nation's 599,766 bridges are unsafe! You might think you have 3 in 4 odds of safely crossing a bridge, but you'd be wrong! In six states, more than 40% of the bridges are unsafe. In 42 states, more than 20% are unsafe.

http://www.crowsey.com/pdf/mapOfWeek/Unsafe_bridges.pdf

Can anyone give me a link to the location of the unsafe bridges Obama is talking about. I heard someone say Obama isn't telling but I thought I saw someone else say it is known.

But I'm not sure what thread that is in.

Appreciate the help. Thanks.
Not sure up there but I can show you a shitload in Costa Rica !

you will know when your on when and it gives way. Are republicans going to even argue with Obama that we need safe bridges?

If you watch the film Idiocracy you will see the gop fix for this, they just tie up all the bridges with ropes and duct tape, works like a charm.

Where are they? You probably drive over one every day and do not even know it. There are about 10 within a 10 mile radius of my location and 2 of those have a pretty sizable drop to the water. Two of those are Interstate Bridges built back in the 60's. Had a semi crash on one recently and closed the interstate for 10 hours and they said the only damage was to the guardrails.

Most if not all the old iron bridges in our county have been replaced within the last 30 years and that is progress but the damage done by the seasonal changes and the application of salt and other chemicals to fight ice and snow is never ending. It may not be glamorous replacing and fixing infrastructure but it is necessary. Just losing one bridge over our main river means a detour of 10 miles. Multiply that by everyone using the bridge and the cost it incurs on commuters and businesses and you will see what infrastructure means. Loose your sewage system and industries have to close down. Your water supply becomes contaminated by a leak and you have to boil water for a week if your lucky. Many of these things have been neglected for years and will be failing in the future.

Whats that saying " You can pay me now, or you pay me (more) later!"

Last edited:
Does anyone in America understand you have no money? That you are broke? And whether it be bridges that this twit wants to fix or it be a health care system, he spent you into oblivion to pay back all his donors and you are trillions and quizzillions of dollars in debt and screw bridges. You're fucked.

Holy toledo people. I've lived both sides of this border and I've never witnessed anything like this in my lifetime.

Spend more money? What fucking money? You don't have any. What part of you are spent into the ground don't you understand>

Please any conservative just grab a liberal now and smack them. Sheesh. What part of "you are completely broke" don't libs get?

Forum List

Back