Where are the people of color in national parks?

Nate

Gold Member
May 7, 2010
Sooner State
Released Wednesday, “The National Park System Comprehensive Survey of the American Public,” conducted by the Wyoming Survey & Analysis Center at the University of Wyoming, is a follow-up to a much-cited report on race/ethnicity among park visitors conducted in 2000.

Taken together, the two surveys show that while the American public has grown increasingly diverse in the last decade, black and Hispanic-Americans remain underrepresented in visits to the 394 National Park Service (NPS) properties.

Where are the people of color in national parks? - Travel - News - msnbc.com

Must be a really slow news day!! I mean honestly who pays for these "studies"? Did someone go around poking their heads into people's tents to verify what color that person was?
So since this can lead to a question and it's a pretty slow day for me as well, are "minorities" more at peace in an urban sprawl or do they also enjoy outdoor activities? Me personally, I try and get out into the wilderness as often as I can! I'd go crazy if I couldn't leave the city every once in awhile...

I have noticed that blacks don't seem to enjoy camping

Released Wednesday, “The National Park System Comprehensive Survey of the American Public,” conducted by the Wyoming Survey & Analysis Center at the University of Wyoming, is a follow-up to a much-cited report on race/ethnicity among park visitors conducted in 2000.

Taken together, the two surveys show that while the American public has grown increasingly diverse in the last decade, black and Hispanic-Americans remain underrepresented in visits to the 394 National Park Service (NPS) properties.

Must be a really slow news day!! I mean honestly who pays for these "studies"? Did someone go around poking their heads into people's tents to verify what color that person was?
So since this can lead to a question and it's a pretty slow day for me as well, are "minorities" more at peace in an urban sprawl or do they also enjoy outdoor activities? Me personally, I try and get out into the wilderness as often as I can! I'd go crazy if I couldn't leave the city every once in awhile...

A black mans outdoor activity is hanging out at the park looking for a white woman to rape.

Camping really is an expensive hobby.

And if your home life is kind of rough any way, driving hundreds of miles to suffer even worse conditions is not so much fun.

Only the wealthy who can go back to being comfortable think spending two weeks on hard beds with minimal sanitary conditions is a fun trip. You have to live with that on a daily basis, what is the point?

A black mans outdoor activity is hanging out at the park looking for a white woman to rape.

Yep. Sometimes I set up a tent and roast marshmallows with my grandkids before we do the deed. Like my grandfather always said: " A family that camps and rapes together, stays together".:cuckoo:

And if your home life is kind of rough any way, driving hundreds of miles to suffer even worse conditions is not so much fun.

Only the wealthy who can go back to being comfortable think spending two weeks on hard beds with minimal sanitary conditions is a fun trip. You have to live with that on a daily basis, what is the point?

I try and get out at least once a month... except for this summer, too fucking hot. Having the peace of mind in a quiet forest is the best way to "unwind" of course that's just my opinion. Btw, I am no where near wealthy, lol!
I don't know, maybe roughing it makes me appreciate the things I have. Regardless, I recommend everybody getting out to the wilderness once in awhile if for nothing else to marvel at the true beauty that nature has to offer!

No.... not really. I do it all the time. You just slowly build up your supplies over the years, and it get very cheap to take the family out or a weekend trip.
The BS about a hard knock life..... give me a break!

Just to stay on topic, I am out in the wilderness alot, and cant count on one hand the number of times I have ran into a black family. Not sure why.... one of my black friends teases me about going out with all my "brokeback mountain friends" but its all in good humor.

Plus I think it is hard to pack a Buick with 24" wheels full of camping supplies :tomato:

J/K :D

No question. National Parks must be closed to camping as they are not equally serving all colours. Oh, wait, we could set maximum percentage quotas on whites........regardless how many campsites that leaves unused.

I have noticed that blacks don't seem to enjoy camping

Odd that you seem to notice skin color. I can't say I ever do.

Yes..I do notice ....save me the high and mighty California Girl does not even notice skin color at all

Skin color exists. I also notice what states people come from, whether they are old or young, whether they are from different countries

Camping does not seem to be an activity that black families engage in. There are a few who seem to enjoy it, but nowhere near 10%

Yep. Sometimes I set up a tent and roast marshmallows with my grandkids before we do the deed. Like my grandfather always said: " A family that camps and rapes together, stays together".

HA HA HA!! :lol: That was actually funny! :D

Forum List

Back