Where are the hardest places to live in the US?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/u...3&kwp_1=66938&kwp_4=22049&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

This is some incredibly eye opening information. Where does your county? Mine is in the top 20 in the country.

This really only works for certain counties. The county I live in has a population of nearly 450,000. We are ranked in the lower third, but the disparity between the bottom and the top is extreme and within the county there are many areas where the vast majority are doing quite well. The suburb I live in has great schools, recreational opportunities and the income level is upper middle class for this area. Cost of living is much cheaper than many other parts of the country, but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

The Republican South is doing poorly, as usual.
My county is dark green.

Junky, the stats given were only partial political. Wanna live in democrat-controlled Illinois, Michigan, California or other bankrupt states? Hardly.... The states and cities rules by libs are doing far worse than those that are not. need proof?

Pretty interesting map :thup:

It's oversimplified of course but mine's supposedly about 60% of the way down the list. But on the other hand I have a dark sky at night, lots of land, absolute quiet and lots of room in a cheap house with four identifiable seasons. Think I'm stayin'.

Right smack dab in the middle of Conservatopia.

What a surprise.

You mean Wyoming?

Idiot.

Wyoming would be a good place to raise kids.

There seems to be Internet sites picking the best places to live, work, eat, sleep, get married, honeymoon, raise kids, die, own a farm, go on vacation, stay home, own property, pay taxes, go to school, find a girl friend, get a divorced,....
I wonder how we every made a decision without the Internet?

Bah.

My $100 is worth $112.

In New York that same $100 is worth $88.

Map How much 100 is really worth in every state - The Washington Post
Not living in Mississippi is worth the extra expense for me.

I love Mississippi, awesome state, great people...also the most racially diverse state...38% African American.

I have not lived in MS.

I used to drive through it though, occasionally stopping somewhere off IH 55 (Hattisburg, Jackson, Biloxi) surrounded by miles, and MILES of nothing but pine trees. The only thing that impressed me was the amazingly beautiful women....it was almost like they were cloning them in some secret laboratory behind the thick piney veil.
That's the way I remember Mississippi. I lived in Huntsville many years ago. Unfortunately the state ranks in the bottom quarterly in just about everything.

There seems to be Internet sites picking the best places to live, work, eat, sleep, get married, honeymoon, raise kids, die, own a farm, go on vacation, stay home, own property, pay taxes, go to school, find a girl friend, get a divorced,....

Simple. If you pulled into town and it was full of black people, keep on driving. And the map in the OP bears that out.

yea, I just looked at the map, it's a joke.

Chester county PA has an interstate going through it, on one side are some really nice homes, on the other side, well, people that live in the shitty parts of Philly know those people have it bad

Chester county PA has an interstate going through it, on one side are some really nice homes, on the other side, well, people that live in the shitty parts of Philly know those people have it bad

So instead of the other side of the tracks...it is the other side of the interstate?

So instead of the other side of the tracks...it is the other side of the interstate?
:lol: yea, guess so.

It's a huge difference, so different that people say they are from West Chester to make it clear where they are from

It's a huge difference, so different that people say they are from West Chester to make it clear where they are from

Ah, a true microcosm of America. Kind of sad, don't you think?

Chester county PA has an interstate going through it, on one side are hireally nice homes, on the other side, well, people that live in the shitty parts of Philly know those people have it bad

St Louis is the same way, on one side of the highway is the NFL and MLB staidium, perfectly safe and good area, one the other side, well let's just say things get much darker.

Ah, a true microcosm of America. Kind of sad, don't you think?
Sad?

yes and no

The people that wanted out of chester and were doing it themselves wanted to work, many just needed to be shown how. "The people that just wanted more, stayed in that shithole and demanded the government make thier shithole better.

guess whay part votes (D) and what part doesn't

Indeed. Not everyone has the same criteria for what a good place to live is.

I suppose it all depends on your individual circumstances. I had a much better standard of living in York County, South Carolina than I ever did in Suffolk County, Massachusetts.

There seems to be Internet sites picking the best places to live, work, eat, sleep, , honeymoon, raise kids, die, own a farm, go on vacation, stay home, own property, pay taxes, go to school, find a girl friend, get a divorced,....

Indeed. Not everyone has the same criteria for what a good place to live is.

Indeed

Good place to me means

My wife and kids are safe, and no close neighbors.

I suppose it all depends on your individual circumstances. I had a much better standard of living in York County, South Carolina than I ever did in Suffolk County, Massachusetts.

Exactly.

The study is a farce.

The major difference between blue and red is income disparity...and by not factoring in cost of living, the difference looks much larger than it actually is.

Last edited:

Exactly.

The study is a farce.

The major difference between blue and red is income disparity is income...and by not factoring in cost of living, the difference looks much larger than it actually is.

Yep. I could never afford to buy a home when I was still in Boston. They were way too expensive, even in crappy neighborhoods. When I got to South Carolina I was able to buy a pretty nice place and now here in Vegas I was able to get an even nicer one with the raise and everything I got for moving here in addition to the lack of state income tax.

Exactly.

The study is a farce.

The major difference between blue and red is income disparity is income...and by not factoring in cost of living, the difference looks much larger than it actually is.

Yep. I could never afford to buy a home when I was still in Boston. They were way too expensive, even in crappy neighborhoods. When I got to South Carolina I was able to buy a pretty nice place and now here in Vegas I was able to get an even nicer one with the raise and everything I got for moving here in addition to the lack of state income tax.

To me its just not about the money. I guess maybe that's cuz I have money, but there are so many other considerations.

For instance, is there good local golf? LOL

Forum List

Back