Where are the energy experts

mdn2000

Rookie
Sep 27, 2009
conservative hell california
Where are all the energy experts, Old Crock specifically.

When confronted with facts Old Crock disappears.

I guess that is all the Liberal/Marxist can do, ignore the facts that disagree with the Marxist agenda.

The fact remains that the USA is now completely subsidizing Solar, Wind, and Geothermal energy and still the technologies are complete failures.

Solar technology well over a 100 years old, billions spent on research and development and still a complete failure, miniscule power that shows no promise of catching fossil fuel plants.

Wind technology is 100's of years old, billions spent on research and development and a complete failure. Miniscule electrical output.

Geothermal is the same story as the above.

Further, Solar, Geothermal, and Wind use more resources to build than fossil fuel plants hence you get much less for much more damage to earth.

Imagine the advocates of Green energy are advocating depleting the earths resources at a much more accelerated rate than if we just use fossil fuels, hence there it is, the Green energy advocates may or may not know this but some do, they want to deplete the earth of fossil fuels, they want the human race to fail, they understand the tremendous waste of power they advocate supporting green and this is there plan.

Green energy advocates want to deplete the earth of its natural resources in order to see humanity disappear and the earth reverse back to the its natural state.

Hence the sensless arguements with no basis in fact.

Where are all the energy experts, Old Crock specifically.

When confronted with facts Old Crock disappears.

I guess that is all the Liberal/Marxist can do, ignore the facts that disagree with the Marxist agenda.

The fact remains that the USA is now completely subsidizing Solar, Wind, and Geothermal energy and still the technologies are complete failures.

Solar technology well over a 100 years old, billions spent on research and development and still a complete failure, miniscule power that shows no promise of catching fossil fuel plants.

Wind technology is 100's of years old, billions spent on research and development and a complete failure. Miniscule electrical output.

Geothermal is the same story as the above.

Further, Solar, Geothermal, and Wind use more resources to build than fossil fuel plants hence you get much less for much more damage to earth.

Imagine the advocates of Green energy are advocating depleting the earths resources at a much more accelerated rate than if we just use fossil fuels, hence there it is, the Green energy advocates may or may not know this but some do, they want to deplete the earth of fossil fuels, they want the human race to fail, they understand the tremendous waste of power they advocate supporting green and this is there plan.

Green energy advocates want to deplete the earth of its natural resources in order to see humanity disappear and the earth reverse back to the its natural state.

Hence the sensless arguements with no basis in fact.

Now that's funny.

solar-tower.gif

Each heliostat measures 120 square meters, which gives the entire heliostat field an area of 75,000 square meters. On a sunny day this can produce up to 11 megawatts of energy, enough to power a town of 6,000 homes, such as the neighboring community of Sanlucar la Mayor.
Solar powered Spain Greenfudge.org

1110B_MARS_BD.jpg

A New Jersey candy factory that produces M&Ms flipped the switch Monday on a dedicated solar array that's the largest in the nation to serve a single manufacturing complex, according to Public Service Enterprise Group Inc.

The 18-acre field of solar panels in Hackettstown is capable of generating 2.2 megawatts per hour of clean energy. That's about one-fifth of the plant's power needs, or enough power for roughly 1,800 homes.
NorthJersey.com: Mars candy factory flips switch on solar panel field

Training Wheels Are Coming off of Germany's Solar Industry -- Seeking Alpha
Here is a great story. Germany is cutting it's subsidies:
"It's all part of a process initiated back in 2000, when the Bundestag passed its Renewable Energy Act. "Cleantech" hadn't dawned yet, and oil was far from record highs it reached later in the decade.

So Germany was ahead of its time and has reaped the benefits of a steroid-injected clean energy economy. Berlin's goal was always to wean producers and installers off the government juice, and that's what we're seeing now.

The come-down hasn't caused the German solar industry to fall flat on its face. Rather, companies like Q-Cells — whose facilities I toured in summer 2008 — are staying on their toes."

http://www.treehugger.com/20090824-liberose-solar-park.jpg
Thin-film solar power plants are definitely becoming more common and larger in size. A year ago the world's largest thin-film power plant was just 10 megawatts. Now one near Cottbus, Germany comes in at 53 megawatts
53 MW Thin-Film Solar Power Plant Now Germany's Largest : TreeHugger

cuess-solar-cell-0.jpg

It must be highlighted however that these figures refer to total energy output – which combines both the electrical and heat power – not just electrical output, as is the case with standard solar cells. The standard CUESS panel produces 400 watts of electrical power and 1700 watts of heat power for a total of 2100 watts. It is this combination of heat and electrical energy output that allows the developers of the CUESS technology that allows them to claim a lifting of efficiency from around 18 percent for standard solar panels to over 50 percent.
Solar panels made three times cheaper and four times more efficient

You see, solar panels haven't even come into it's own yet because new materials, such as "nanotubes" are still being developed. There is even talk of people using an everyday printer to print their own working solar panels.
Of course, I didn't even touch on the advancements in wind, battery, miniature nuclear reactors and other developing technologies. There is just so much.

Of course, to someone who believes that "Noah's Ark" was a true historical event, all of this may sound too fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Banned
rdean, forgive me if I do not put your post in quotes, that is very redundant and useless when addressing small portions.

I am all for research into solar (not wind, wind is definately proven dead).

What your article leaves out is much, millions of gallons of water are needed for solar, increase the solar panels to an area needed to supply industry with power and then solar needs trillions of gallons of water.

Can a solar farm supply the electricity to pump trillions of gallons of water to the desert? Not in the near future.

Is water better used for farming, yes, what does the diversion of trillions of gallons of water do to the cost of food or even the availability of food.

I got more but this is the most significant obstacle that solar cannot overcome.

Any thoughts.

personally i do not want to see thousands of acres of solar panels or windmills what an eyesore.

• Banned
rdean, dont take my points as an attack on all aspects of solar, I think it should money should be spent on research, I dont beleive solar will ever be a viable source of power for industry or homes. I beleive and I see that in specific circumstances solar is valuable.

That said your content mentions spain. Spain is a large Nuclear power given its size. I love Spain, especially my freinds at Tecnatom, great people to work with.

http://www.tecnatom.es/

Billions of dollars have been lost to green energy in Spain threatening the entire European Union's economy.

Spanish & Solar: A Model to Follow or a Cautionary Tale? | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News.

Spanish & Solar: A Model to Follow or a Cautionary Tale?

Spain has spent nearly $30 billion on its green energy economy; each one of these green jobs cost the Spanish government on average $855,000, but the return on investment hasn’t been great. The country’s unemployment rate is not decreasing but rapidly increasing and is now at 19.3%, which is one of the highest in the developed world.

In fact, the government’s heavy investments in the solar industry created a bubble than did more to harm to the solar industry than helping it:

Only one panelist, Dr. Gabriel Calzada, provided a cautionary tale, warning members of congress to learn from his country’s mistakes: Spain’s solar ‘renaissance,’ which was meant to stimulate the economy with thousands of new green jobs, has instead done massive damage to the Spanish economy. The problem stems from Spain’s enormous investment in government subsidies for green energy, which created an artificial market that can only survive with the continuation of billions of dollars being pumped into it. According to Dr. Calzada, Spain spends about $8 billion a year on green energy subsidies but the result is that for every green job created 2.2 jobs were lost because so much money was taken out of viable parts of the economy and put into a more unreliable green market—solar did not even make up 1% of Spain’s entire energy production in 2008.

Researching as I go, I have been hearing little bits about Spain for the last month but have not got around to looking up the stories, most likely I will take a better look at your post another time, its late for me and I have much to do tomorrow.

Last edited:
rdean, forgive me if I do not put your post in quotes, that is very redundant and useless when addressing small portions.

What your article leaves out is much, millions of gallons of water are needed for solar, increase the solar panels to an area needed to supply industry with power and then solar needs trillions of gallons of water.

Can a solar farm supply the electricity to pump trillions of gallons of water to the desert? Not in the near future.

Is water better used for farming, yes, what does the diversion of trillions of gallons of water do to the cost of food or even the availability of food.

I got more but this is the most significant obstacle that solar cannot overcome.

Any thoughts.

So dead that wind put out enough power right now in the US to power 9 million homes. And by 2012, that number will be double, if not more.

42% of the installed generation in 2009 was wind. And that number is going to get bigger.

Any thoughts.

LOL. Now why don't you just explain how you got that out of the article on solar electrical generation in Germany?

And there are now solar cells that have over 40% efficiency in the labs. Most are thin film type that are very easy to create, one, qdot, can be created using a system very like ink jet printing.

Any thoughts.

So dead that wind put out enough power right now in the US to power 9 million homes. And by 2012, that number will be double, if not more.

42% of the installed generation in 2009 was wind. And that number is going to get bigger.

Old Crock going off half cocked, prove it, nine million homes, prove it, 42%? prove it.

Any thoughts.

LOL. Now why don't you just explain how you got that out of the article on solar electrical generation in Germany?

And there are now solar cells that have over 40% efficiency in the labs. Most are thin film type that are very easy to create, one, qdot, can be created using a system very like ink jet printing.

This shows how stupid Old Crock is, 40% efficiency, prove it, whats the benchmark, what are you comparing them to? So Solar Panels under perfect conditions, labratory conditions are wasting 60% of its resources, add that to the 33% conversion loss, add that to the fact that they can only use the sun 30% of the time and Old Crock's Solar Panels are 1.3% effecient.

1.3% effecient, nice solar panel.

Now for the fun part, this is why Old Crock ignores much of what I post, its too embrassing for Old Crock when I take his comments and show the stupidity of Old Crock.

Old Crock, when someone states, "leaves out", that means its missing from the ariticle. Missing means its not there, as in Old Crock is missing much of his brain cells do to Dementia.

So if Old Crock's solar panel is 1.3% effecient how will it pump all that water Solar energy needs.

mdn, once again you have proven yourself incapable of understanding what you read. The panel in Germany are under a lens that concentrates the sunlight, which increases the efficiency of the solar cells, but requires cooling them with water. Water which is then also used for energy.

As for you other dumbass claim, there are cells on the market right now that are over 20% efficient, and require no cooling. And they have been manufactured for the last seven years.

Untitled Document

SunPower Says....

SunPower Announces World's Most Efficient, Low-Cost Silicon Solar Cell
The A-300 High-Performance Solar Cell Achieves 20% Efficiency on 2-MW Pilot Line; Affiliation With Cypress Semiconductor to Bring Competitive Advantage in High-Volume Manufacturing

SunPower Corporation has announced sampling of the A-300, the world's most-efficient, low-cost silicon solar cell. Based on a unique rear-contact design-which maximizes the working cell area, hides unsightly wires and makes automated production easier-the A-300 achieves over 20 percent efficiency compared with currently available cells in the 12% - 15% range. The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) has verified 20.4 percent conversion efficiency for the A-300.

The 125-mm, single-crystal A-300 cell generates three watts of electricity providing the most efficient cost-per-watt solution in the photovoltaic (PV) industry. Additionally, the A-300 silicon solar cell delivers 3-kW in less than 17 square meters, allowing SunPower's customers to trump the world's best area-efficient construction designs. The A-300 solar cells are ideal for rooftop systems, communications, building integrated PV systems, and consumer applications.

Cypress Semiconductor Corporation is sharing its expertise in technology development and high-volume manufacturing with SunPower, providing the solar cell company with a substantial competitive advantage in a silicon-intensive, highly cost-sensitive business. The 2-megawatt manufacturing line that yielded the A-300 cells is adjacent to Cypress's manufacturing facility in Round Rock, Texas. A future SunPower manufacturing facility is under consideration for a site nearby Cypress's high-volume assembly and test facility in the Philippines.

At the end of 2009, the installed capacity of wind power in the United States was just over 35,000 megawatts (35 GW),[2][3] making it the world leader ahead of Germany. Wind power accounts for about 1.9% of the electricity generated in the United States (1.3% at the end of 2008 [4][5]).

Over 9,900 MW of new wind power capacity was brought online in 2009, up from 8,800 in 2008. These new installations place the U.S. on a trajectory to generate 20% of the nation’s electricity by 2030 from wind energy.[2] Growth in 2008 channeled some $17 billion into the economy, positioning wind power as one of the leading sources of new power generation in the country, along with natural gas. New wind projects completed in 2008 account for about 42% of the entire new power-producing capacity added in the U.S. during the year.[5]

At the end of 2008, about 85,000 people were employed in the U.S. wind industry,[6] and GE Energy was the largest domestic wind turbine manufacturer.[1] Wind projects boosted local tax bases, and revitalized the economy of rural communities by providing a steady income stream to farmers with wind turbines on their land.[1] Wind power in the U.S. provides enough electricity to power the equivalent of nearly 9 million homes, avoiding the emissions of 57 million tons of carbon each year and reducing expected carbon emissions from the electricity sector by 2.5%.[5]

Wind power in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beaverton firm will produce cheaper quantum dots | Oregon Business News - OregonLive.com

Quantum dots are extremely flexible and efficient when it comes to gathering sunlight for cheap, clean solar energy. Voxtel's breakthrough could pack the power-generating potential of large traditional solar panels into packages small enough to carry. Imagine discreet solar panels woven in to your shirt or handbag. Dead cell phone and iPods would be a thing of the past.

"Solar power is exciting because you can create the energy where it's needed," says Brian Bower, who handles technical communications.

The high cost of quantum dots, $5,000 per gram at the low end, has been a barrier for two decades. Dots are conventionally made by a chemist one batch at a time.

Voxtel invented a continuous system that automatically pumps out dots in large quantities, and even works with materials more environmentally friendly than those before. Their target is around $10 per gram with the capacity to fabricate kilograms of dots per week from a single production line. It takes about a tenth of a gram to make a square foot solar panel.

The power of dots lies in their optical properties. Bulk silicon can only absorb the red component of light, but a dot can be tuned to absorb any color by changing its size. A mixture of dot sizes soaks up the entire range of colors in the solar spectrum. The dots are printed onto surfaces using inkjet technology to make very thin photovoltaic cells.
"Our goal is to get really higher efficiency PVs, twice the efficiency of silicon" says George Williams, Voxtel's chief executive and founder.

Nanoparticle processing
Experimental non-silicon solar panels can be made of quantum heterostructures, e.g. carbon nanotubes or quantum dots, embedded in conductive polymers or mesoporous metal oxides. In addition, thin films of many of these materials on conventional silicon solar cells can increase the optical coupling efficiency into the silicon cell, thus boosting the overall efficiency. By varying the size of the quantum dots, the cells can be tuned to absorb different wavelengths. Although the research is still in its infancy, quantum dot modified photovoltaics may be able to achieve up to 42% energy conversion efficiency due to multiple exciton generation (MEG).[61
Solar cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are where the energy experts are at.

10 Companies Reinventing Our Energy Infrastructure | Wired Science | Wired.com

When most people think about changing the way America uses energy, they imagine new ways of generating electricity like solar farms or new nuclear reactors.

But at an innovation summit organized by the Department of Energy’s high-risk, high-reward research branch, ARPA-E (modeled after Darpa), it’s not just power generation that’s getting a makeover. The companies hawking their ideas there, which all received grant money from ARPA-E or were finalists, are trying to reinvent the entire energy system. Everything is getting a technological re-evaluation from the actual wires that power is transmitted on to the waste heat produced in industrial processes.

And of course there are also new ways of making electricity beyond just burning some rocks or oil to create steam to drive a turbine.

Here are 10 companies that caught our attention. Any one technology is unlikely to solve the looming climate change and peak oil problems, but working together within the larger system, they could tilt the globe away from catastrophe and towards a sustainable future.

mdn, once again you have proven yourself incapable of understanding what you read. The panel in Germany are under a lens that concentrates the sunlight, which increases the efficiency of the solar cells, but requires cooling them with water. Water which is then also used for energy.

As for you other dumbass claim, there are cells on the market right now that are over 20% efficient, and require no cooling. And they have been manufactured for the last seven years.

Old Crock shows how Old Crock is suffering Dementia and is not able to research the topic of energy.

Old Crock must put words in folks mouth and in the process puts his foot in his mouth.

The water is for cleaning the solar panels

Old Crock is as dumb as a rock.

Old Crock how come you never replied in Geothermal, got your ass kicked and you ran away from that thread like the yellow bellied chicken shit that you are.

Too bad about the Dementia

Last edited:

Forum List

Back