Where Are My Fellow Comic Book and/or Sci-Fi Fans

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Let's discuss what's going on in these genres.

I know I can't be the only comic book fan from the early 80s.

Sci-Fi welcome too.

Let's get caught up.

My all-time favorite is Superman...cliche, maybe, but that story is just awesome.

Other favorites of mine from the early 80's include Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Thor, Hulk, Batman, Iron Fist (remember him?), Cloak and Dagger (remember them?), X-Men, in the late 80s to early 90s, Dr. Strange, amongst others.

Star Wars, I had the toys, lots of them, so gotta mention that story, I'm still fascinated, perhaps even moreso of the entire Star Wars story...it's epic, in the true sense of the word.

I know I'm not alone on here.

Looking at Arrow right now. lol
I used to also love Green Lantern, I've been reading that story from the 80s as well.

I watched 'Smallville' religiously when it aired. No time for the re-runs, but once in a blue I enjoy 'em. 'Smallville' is perhaps THEE best incarnation of the Superman story on the Small Screen...bar none.

'Arrow' is a result of 'Smallville' you see. I haven't seen an episode yet, too much to watch on TV, and since they didn't use any of the same actors, I wasn't too pressed. It's the same story though.

I hear it's good, glad that so many comic book stories are alive and kicking on the Small and Big Screens today.

Are you into the animated stuff?
The best stuff today is animated.
The animition sometimes comes from the comic books, the novels, sometimes it's an original story, but it's truly awesome.

They did a decent job with the X-Men cartoon series a few years back, which led to the X-Men movie, which is currently getting better and better.

The more they stick to the original comic books, the btter the movies are.

I dunno why they like to deviate so much from the origins.

I think the best animated series of comics is Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

I wish Disney didn't shut it down recently in order to prepare for the new movies coming out, it was just getting better and better and better.

I hate Smallville!

I thought the show was surprisingly good for the first few seasons (I'm not a big Superman fan) and I enjoyed it. But it kept getting worse....and worse.....but I was already so far into the story I felt compelled to keep watching. TEN seasons! And only the first 3 or 4 were good. :evil:

Now I'm watching Arrow, and I find myself thinking history is going to repeat itself. Arrow is quite similar in feel to Smallville, albeit darker. A lot of it has to do with being a CW show (or WB in the past). They seem to use the same production for most of their shows. I watched the first couple of episodes of The Tomorrow People (which had a somewhat X-Men feel, although more in a plagiarizing than a good way) and it was similar to Arrow and Smallville in a lot of ways.

But they are comic book shows, so I watch. I watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as well, and that has been a big, steamy pile of disappointment for the most part.

In actual comics, I tend to prefer the less powered heroes. Batman, Wolverine, The Punisher, I enjoy the just a bit above human characters (yes, I know Batman and The Punisher have no super-powers, but what they do is obviously not really possible) with some darkness or sadness to their story.

I have also read a ton of X-Men, including from the very beginning. I'm a fan of Garth Ennis : I loved Preacher, The Boys, and his Punisher work. Rising Stars from J. Michael Straczynski was a good series.

Non-comic sci-fi stuff hasn't been great lately. Elysium was watchable, same with Oblivion, but neither were great movies. Misfits was a great British sci-fi show that just ended, but it was very comic-like. I enjoy Being Human, although I consider that more fantasy/horror than sci-fi. Ender's Game was pretty mediocre, although I wasn't a big fan of the book, either.

I'm cautiously excited about the upcoming Star Wars movies. The most recent 3 left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm hoping now that Disney owns it they won't let Lucas screw it all up. Of course, they may just get someone else who will screw it up (don't screw it up, Abrams!). I didn't really like what they did with the most recent Star Trek. I think they should have used completely original stories, what with having a separate timeline to work with, instead of rehashing a bunch of old stuff in a blatant attempt to capitalize on fans of the older stuff.

Riddick was more the same crap as Pitch Black just better production. Pacific Rim was mindless drivel. I didn't even bother with After Earth. I hope Godzilla is decent, I have fond memories of watching those silly movies when I was young.

Gravity was a lot of fun. Probably the best thing sci-fi of the year.

And there's a brief, random blurb about my comic and sci fi tastes! :lol:

I was a DC fan as a kid. Had lots of friends that were into Marvel, but I never cared for their art or stories that much. Funny, because other than the latest Batman trilogy, Marvel has stomped DC in the movies for the most part.

I have always been a Batman fan first and Superman second. Liked Green Arrow and Green Lantern. Back in the mid to late 70's, DC came out with Swamp Thing, the Shadow and Hawk and Dove. Somewhere, someplace at my mom's house, I'm sure they are all in a box in a closet.

I hate Smallville!

I thought the show was surprisingly good for the first few seasons (I'm not a big Superman fan) and I enjoyed it. But it kept getting worse....and worse.....but I was already so far into the story I felt compelled to keep watching. TEN seasons! And only the first 3 or 4 were good. :evil:

Now I'm watching Arrow, and I find myself thinking history is going to repeat itself. Arrow is quite similar in feel to Smallville, albeit darker. A lot of it has to do with being a CW show (or WB in the past). They seem to use the same production for most of their shows. I watched the first couple of episodes of The Tomorrow People (which had a somewhat X-Men feel, although more in a plagiarizing than a good way) and it was similar to Arrow and Smallville in a lot of ways.

But they are comic book shows, so I watch. I watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as well, and that has been a big, steamy pile of disappointment for the most part.

In actual comics, I tend to prefer the less powered heroes. Batman, Wolverine, The Punisher, I enjoy the just a bit above human characters (yes, I know Batman and The Punisher have no super-powers, but what they do is obviously not really possible) with some darkness or sadness to their story.

I have also read a ton of X-Men, including from the very beginning. I'm a fan of Garth Ennis : I loved Preacher, The Boys, and his Punisher work. Rising Stars from J. Michael Straczynski was a good series.

Non-comic sci-fi stuff hasn't been great lately. Elysium was watchable, same with Oblivion, but neither were great movies. Misfits was a great British sci-fi show that just ended, but it was very comic-like. I enjoy Being Human, although I consider that more fantasy/horror than sci-fi. Ender's Game was pretty mediocre, although I wasn't a big fan of the book, either.

I'm cautiously excited about the upcoming Star Wars movies. The most recent 3 left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm hoping now that Disney owns it they won't let Lucas screw it all up. Of course, they may just get someone else who will screw it up (don't screw it up, Abrams!). I didn't really like what they did with the most recent Star Trek. I think they should have used completely original stories, what with having a separate timeline to work with, instead of rehashing a bunch of old stuff in a blatant attempt to capitalize on fans of the older stuff.

Riddick was more the same crap as Pitch Black just better production. Pacific Rim was mindless drivel. I didn't even bother with After Earth. I hope Godzilla is decent, I have fond memories of watching those silly movies when I was young.

Gravity was a lot of fun. Probably the best thing sci-fi of the year.

And there's a brief, random blurb about my comic and sci fi tastes! :lol:

Really? I loved them. I agree, they need to move towards original material at this point, but I think they had to pay homage to the original to get the story moving......and you simply can't NOT do a tribute to Wrath of Khan, the greatest Star Trek movie ever made!!! But from here on out, new stuff.

Sgt Rock is my all time favorite.

Old fashioned American badass, normal man, normal partners, doing the right thing even when it meant death.

super heroes are entertaining, but when there's no chance of even getting hurt, it gets old quickly.

I saw superman take a broad side from a battleship. Took one to the chest and caught Two other shells under his arms. I closed the book and tossed it aside.

Heroes do the right thing when scared, super heroes are just dull for the most part. You don't bravely smash thousands of hydra agents knowing you can't be scratched, they were brave to keep fighting you.

But I do like me some Dr. Doom

My all-time favorite is Superman...cliche, maybe, but that story is just awesome.

Other favorites of mine from the early 80's include Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Thor, Hulk, Batman, Iron Fist (remember him?), Cloak and Dagger (remember them?), X-Men, in the late 80s to early 90s, Dr. Strange, amongst others.

Star Wars, I had the toys, lots of them, so gotta mention that story, I'm still fascinated, perhaps even moreso of the entire Star Wars story...it's epic, in the true sense of the word.

I know I'm not alone on here.

Anyone that can be taken out by a geriatric Batman isn't worth the price of a comic book.

Forum List

Back