Where are all the peaceful muslims?

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
Why do we only hear about the enraged muslims? If the majority of the muslims are in fact peaceful then why are they not lining up to condemn these radicals that are allegedly bastardizing their religion?

Powerman said:
Why do we only hear about the enraged muslims? If the majority of the muslims are in fact peaceful then why are they not lining up to condemn these radicals that are allegedly bastardizing their religion?
A wiser query was never posed. THAT is worth rep!

Thanks.

This is Neil Boortz on the situation.

"I know and understand that these bloodthirsty murderers do not represent the majority of the world's Muslims. When, though, do they become outraged? When do they take to the streets to express their outrage at the radicals who are making their religion the object of worldwide hatred and ridicule? Islamic writer Salman Rushdie wrote of these silent Muslims in a New York Times article three years ago. "As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming?"

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Powerman said:
Thanks.

This is Neil Boortz on the situation.

"I know and understand that these bloodthirsty murderers do not represent the majority of the world's Muslims. When, though, do they become outraged? When do they take to the streets to express their outrage at the radicals who are making their religion the object of worldwide hatred and ridicule? Islamic writer Salman Rushdie wrote of these silent Muslims in a New York Times article three years ago. "As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming?"

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html
Not to be cynical, but it's been over a thousand years since what Rushdie speaks of was reality.

Isn't there something in their religion that prohibits them from judging the actions of other Muslims as a regular practice? I thought that judgement of them on a religious basis was only under specific circumstances and done by a tribunal of elected Islamic Judges...

Does anybody know about this?

Powerman said:

Well, I have to give you credit. you are a equal opportunity basher of religions! HEY< JUST A JOKE!

Powerman said:
If the majority of the muslims are in fact peaceful then why are they not lining up to condemn these radicals that are allegedly bastardizing their religion?

They're probably fearful of retribution from the local clerics, who continually preach hatred for the infidels, and those Muslims who support the jihadists. They are not taught to be thinking individuals, but rather blind groupies.

Adam's Apple said:
They're probably fearful of retribution from the local clerics, who continually preach hatred for the infidels, and those Muslims who support the jihadists. They are not taught to be thinking individuals, but rather blind groupies.

And probably figuring that there would be no point in speaking out anyway. They have no power, no influence and no leader. I don't see a big, organized, protest unleashed by peaceful Christians when Pat Robertson and his cronies spout off some of their hate speech.

dilloduck said:
And probably figuring that there would be no point in speaking out anyway. They have no power, no influence and no leader. I don't see a big, organized, protest unleashed by peaceful Christians when Pat Robertson and his cronies spout off some of their hate speech.

Hmmm......

I don't see the comparison. What you call "hate speech" is protected under the First Amendment. Talk is talk. It is not comparable to using physical violence to inflict harm on another and/or vandalized property.

If these whacko Muslims would restrict their hateful crap to running their mouthes, I would defend their right to do it, even if I think it's a bunch of bull.

Kathianne, about 600. Up until the western Renaissance, the Islamic world was the leading repository of Greco-Roman knowledge and the leader in science and mathematics (as is evident in the scientific words we borrowed from Arabic--al-gebra, al-cohol, etc.). And the last vestiges of the vast Islamic empires didn't really fall until after 1900.

As for the silent Muslims, I agree with everyone here. I don't know vast numbers of Muslims, but those I know are gentle, law-abiding, and furious at the actions of the radical few who (ab)use their religion to justify terrorism.

I think the best parallel is probably the silent Catholics of America during the IRA terrorist campaign against the British, which killed more innocent Britons than 9/11 killed Americans. If you asked these Catholics point-blank, they would condemn terrorism, but there was no vast outrage against the IRA prior to 9/11; in fact, U.S. Irish Catholics quietly funnelled millions of dollars to the IRA that supported its terrorist campaign. Even today, you can walk into an Irish pub in Boston and start singing a pro-IRA song, and get everyone to join in (I've seen it myself--my wife is Irish-Catholic).

I think the feeling is that terrorist Muslims still feel more like "our team" to most Muslims than Americans. How can we win these people over? We somehow have to convince them that we are open and tolerant enough to be able to welcome their viewpoints. In part, that means being ready to examine some of our own actions as seen from others' points of view. This doesn't mean sympathizing with terrorism, but it may mean trying to understand what's bothering them (e.g. bin Laden's distaste for U.S. military bases near religious sites in Saudi Arabia, his reason for committing 9/11).

Mariner.

Mariner said:
Kathianne, about 600. Up until the western Renaissance, the Islamic world was the leading repository of Greco-Roman knowledge and the leader in science and mathematics (as is evident in the scientific words we borrowed from Arabic--al-gebra, al-cohol, etc.). And the last vestiges of the vast Islamic empires didn't really fall until after 1900.

As for the silent Muslims, I agree with everyone here. I don't know vast numbers of Muslims, but those I know are gentle, law-abiding, and furious at the actions of the radical few who (ab)use their religion to justify terrorism.

I think the best parallel is probably the silent Catholics of America during the IRA terrorist campaign against the British, which killed more innocent Britons than 9/11 killed Americans. If you asked these Catholics point-blank, they would condemn terrorism, but there was no vast outrage against the IRA prior to 9/11; in fact, U.S. Irish Catholics quietly funnelled millions of dollars to the IRA that supported its terrorist campaign. Even today, you can walk into an Irish pub in Boston and start singing a pro-IRA song, and get everyone to join in (I've seen it myself--my wife is Irish-Catholic).

I think the feeling is that terrorist Muslims still feel more like "our team" to most Muslims than Americans. How can we win these people over? We somehow have to convince them that we are open and tolerant enough to be able to welcome their viewpoints. In part, that means being ready to examine some of our own actions as seen from others' points of view. This doesn't mean sympathizing with terrorism, but it may mean trying to understand what's bothering them (e.g. bin Laden's distaste for U.S. military bases near religious sites in Saudi Arabia, his reason for committing 9/11).

Mariner.

It is the stated goal of fundamental Islamists to live by the laws of Muhammed as written during the 7th century. While not a math wizard, the numbers add up roughly 1,300 years.

The premise of your statement concerning "winning these people over" is unrealistic. Their idea of "compromise" is Western civilization annihilated to the man. We do it their way or day.

Well, screw them. When I see a rattlesnake I forego negotiations and kill it.

Mariner said:

Mariner.

Why bother to find parallels when the closest one you can find is so dissimilar? Does it have to do with your reactionary need to validate your moral relativism?

dilloduck said:

Thats because Christians dont listen to Pat and then go out and set of bombs in Muslim wedding ceremonies. If they did, Christians would be speaking out against it vehemently.

Mariner said:

Mariner.

Bin Ladens beef should be with saudi arabia then, not the US.

Catholics arent as strict in following the Pope as muslims are in following mohamed. Look at the jar of urine with a cross in it. Did catholics take to the streets and try to bang down embassy doors? NO. Did catholic leaders call for the death of those who put out what they considered blasphmous movies about Jesus? NO. Did Catholics take to the streets and cheer every time a bomb went of in Ireland and killed innocent people? NO.

There simply is no comparision.

Powerman said:
I'd love to introduce you to my friend Ahmed.

He's a peaceful Muslim as is his father and mother. His father donates to charity and, if I recall correctly, even runs a charity to help people.

There's another Muslim I know at my school, don't know them personally, but I hear that he's a very nice person.

LuvRPgrl said:
Bin Ladens beef should be with saudi arabia then, not the US.

Catholics arent as strict in following the Pope as muslims are in following mohamed. Look at the jar of urine with a cross in it. Did catholics take to the streets and try to bang down embassy doors? NO. Did catholic leaders call for the death of those who put out what they considered blasphmous movies about Jesus? NO. Did Catholics take to the streets and cheer every time a bomb went of in Ireland and killed innocent people? NO.

There simply is no comparision.

Religious people who have covertly converted to capitalism are usually much less agressive unless someone threatens thier money. (security)

You pose the question, where are all the peaceful muslims?

I ask, "isn't *peaceful muslim* an oxcymoron?"

Kagom said:
I'd love to introduce you to my friend Ahmed.

He's a peaceful Muslim as is his father and mother. His father donates to charity and, if I recall correctly, even runs a charity to help people.

There's another Muslim I know at my school, don't know them personally, but I hear that he's a very nice person.

Yea. I heard there was one out in Nevada somewhere too. I guess they love those deserts!

dilloduck said:
Religious people who have covertly converted to capitalism are usually much less agressive unless someone threatens thier money. (security)

The usual damned if you do, and damned if you dont. When American Christians stand up for their values, they are called oppresive and mean spirited. When they become tolerant, they are considered having covertly converted to capitalism. Cant win for losing, ahhh, what the hell.

Forum List

Back