CDZ When?

Since you confine it to twenty year increments, probably the mid 70s. Personally I'd say more like 1966.

Trump says "make American great again." Would someone please tell me what score of years is the period of comparison associated with the word "again" in that saying?
Like most of what he says it sounds good but lacks any meaning. He is pandering to those Americans that feel left behind by the changes in society. America is, and always was, great.

Post WW2, the greatest generation saved a world, then came home and created the strongest country in the world. America reached it's zenith. It has been down hill from there.

Agreed, roughly 1940-1995 or so. The fade began in 1976.

Prior to 1913.

Yep the year a few Ottomens came here and said, " they will form a state within a state till their numbers are large enough to take over". And their cohorts formed the private money laundering group known as the Federal Reserve. Obombs has now stratigically placed radicals in high ranking military posicions,FBI,CIA etc, Fired hundreds of Americas generals and agents to do so.

This caused the banking system to fail and The Great Depression which made way for the communist to infiltrate our governments and dept of indoctrinations. The communist inspired infectious immoral hippys infected the bodies while their conrade professors infected their minds.

Post WW2, the greatest generation saved a world, then came home and created the strongest country in the world. America reached it's zenith. It has been down hill from there.

Their children were spoiled and ungrateful. Now we see them in schools and political offices ruining the nation their parents built and protected. Worn torn and trying to make their kids lives better only made deviants out of most of them. If you don't work and earn it you don't protect it.

More like 70/80's and 2000-2011 with 2 president one white Bush one black the Obama.

If in the definition of Great references economic freedom, economic expansion, world opinion, and standing fast to the principles of freedom and God given rights, then I would say the last period was 1981-1991.

If in the definition of Great references economic freedom, economic expansion, world opinion, and standing fast to the principles of freedom and God given rights, then I would say the last period was 1981-1991.

Who knows what "great" means? It's not as though Trump has bothered to tell us what he means by that term, just as he's not indicated any period of time that he sees as the quintessential one during which America was great. Yet, millions of folks are buying into the idea of "make America great again" without knowing precisely what that means in the mind of the man who has seen fit to use that phrase and how he intends to "make America great again."

If I were to come to your town and tell you that I'm going to "make it great," would you not demand that I explain to you precisely how I intend to do that and what be the nature of my vision of greatness?

Even if a housekeeper to tell me, "I'm going to clean your house," I'd want to know how and to what extent?
  • Will s/he clean the windows?
  • Move the sofas and beds to clean under them?
  • Pull out the refrigerator to clean behind it? Underneath the stovetops?
  • Will they clean behind the freestanding bookcases and armoires?
  • How often will they steam clean the carpets?
  • How often will they send the rugs out for dry cleaning?
  • What solvents will they use on the sculptures? On the silver? The brass?
  • What about outside? The pools?
Just how clean are they aiming to make my home?

Broad statements like "make America great again" are fine, but they become empty when over a year later there remain no details that tell me precisely what the saying means in the speaker's mind.

The Iranian seizure of the American Embassy and the failure to 'correct' that in the aftermath of the 'Oil Shortage' hoax is a good starting point for the obvious weakness in leadership; that's about when Reagan's handlers came up with that ' Morning in America' PR slogan.

So you must have loved Reagan's tax cuts for the rich and deficit spending on military/industrial to stimulate the economy then?

W however did the same thing in spades and it really did not help that much.

The main stimulus to the economy during the W years was the Clintonesque home mortgage bubble which had been fanned by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

All the blatantly racist speeches so far have been on the podium at the Democratic Convention; the only thing missing is the antisemitic rants screaming for the genocide of Israeli Jews and the burning down of Christian churches. They must be saving those for the last day.

That (WW2 and post WW2 prosperity in the USA) was all about artificial stimulation of the economy through the war effort same as what Reagan did in 1980-88.

The only way to create this again is to go to war with Russia or China or both.

And then so many people will be killed including Americans that wages will go high again as labor supply declines.

Since you confine it to twenty year increments, probably the mid 70s. Personally I'd say more like 1966.
Ah! The Carter years! Inflation, gas lines, energy crisis and The BeeGees.

You weren't alive then, were you? I was matriculating at The Ohio State University during the mid 70s and I can tell you that that era wasn't the benchmark for American greatness.

My guess The Donald thinks that the late 1940s, after WWII and the birth of the Cold War was America's greatest time. You know, while Harry Truman (d) MO. was president.

For my money, the early 1960s right up until 1968, a year that held too much history, was the greatest America I have lived through.

Prior to 1913.
Until the Roaring '20's there was nothing even vaguely resembling "prosperity".

During the 1920's is was financed by rampant speculation on Wall Street.

During the 1940's and 1950's it was stimulated by war production.

During the 1980's it was stimulated by Reagans deficit spending on Military/Industrial.

During the 1990's it was stimulated by dot-com speculation by vulture capitalists.

After Y2K and for the next 8 years it was stimulated by the Clintonesque housing bubble fanned by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Right now we are in uncharted territory fanned only by replacement economics for long term durables (machinery, equipment, cars, trucks, infrastructure, and home improvements).

Forum List

Back