When!!!???

Why should a doctor take YOUR (you not being a doctor) word? Surely you can see the problem with that. If you're on oxy is he just suppossed to refill it when you ask, no questions? My doctor is the same way. I need to see him every 6 months or so to make sure I am the right dosage, to take labs and make sure the drug is doing what it's suppossed to do. He's the expert, not you. I dont' get what you find so unreasnable about this.

That six month requirement is either imposed by a state board or some other regulation. It used to be twelve months.

If he refills your prescription without doing the clinically mandated evaluation beforehand, he could be guilty of malpractice. Many meds are toxic or otherwise harmful, some are addicting, some are ineffective and need to be replaced with something else. The doctor would be negligent if it is the standard medical practice to do an evaluation before writing a prescription and he ignores that. And no doctor worth his salt will take the patient's word that a potentially dangerous medication is helpful without doing at least a cursory evaluation to be sure it isn't harming more.

YEAH a FIFTEEN MINUTE exam to the tune of EIGHTY DOLLARS!!!

Explain to the receptionist/scheduler your problem. You need the meds but you can't afford the office call. What can they work out? Many, probably most doctors, will reduce or waive their fees if you level with them that you have a problem. I had a similar problem awhile back involving some extra expensive dental work I needed and could not afford. My dentist worked with me until we found a solution we could both live with.

It's sure worth a shot.

I TRIED!!! BELIEVE ME I TRIED!!! $80 for the visit $120 for the MEDS!! That's $120 AFTER insurance!!!

Explain to the receptionist/scheduler your problem. You need the meds but you can't afford the office call. What can they work out? Many, probably most doctors, will reduce or waive their fees if you level with them that you have a problem. I had a similar problem awhile back involving some extra expensive dental work I needed and could not afford. My dentist worked with me until we found a solution we could both live with.

It's sure worth a shot.

I TRIED!!! BELIEVE ME I TRIED!!! $80 for the visit $120 for the MEDS!! That's $120 AFTER insurance!!!

Then you can always try a free clinic, ask for help from a social agency, or go sit in an emergency room and wait your turn.

What insurance do you have? I have seen some meds have a very high co-pay, but $80 copay for the doctor does seem pretty high.

Schedule II controlled substances require a written prescription which must be signed by the practitioner. There is no federal time limit within which a Schedule II prescription must be filled after being signed by the practitioner.

While some states and many insurance carriers limit the quantity of controlled substance dispensed to a 30-day supply, there are no specific federal limits to quantities of drugs dispensed via a prescription. For Schedule II controlled substances, an oral order is only permitted in an emergency situation.

DEA Diversion Control - Practitioner's Manual - SECTION V ? VALID PRESCRIPTION REQUIREMENTS

Not sure what you are taking, but it may be the law in your state. And with malpractice insurance being so expensive, the doctor may be following the guidelines suggested on HOW NOT TO GET YOUR ASS SUED...

It's sure worth a shot.

If you had let me know a couple days ago, and sent a copy of your perscription, I would have gladly picked them up for you in Nogales. i just came back yesterday after going for dialysis myself.
The law is that I can cross the border with meds for other patients, if there is a script.
Seriously, I would have done it for you. In the future, I will post on here when I am going, so I can help others when I go.
If the meds are 120 in the US, they are probly about 15 in Mexico-same meds, about a tenth of the price. (usually)
I posted my experiences in Mexico this time here;
http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...are/107413-nogales-dialysis-this-evening.html

I did bring back some meds for a friend here in town, it cost her 28 bucks for what would have been 235 at Western drug here in town..........

Part of the problem is that the doctors practice "defensive" medicine to satisfy the requirements of their insurance for malpractice. In mexico, if you have a sign perscription, you get your meds at the pharmacia. In addition, there are doctors in Nogales that will do a "patient evaluation" by phone, and then write a perscription.
When I go to Mexico for medical care, I am in control of my care. I show up with my medical records. I am ASKED about something before the doctor ORDERS me to do it. If i want to try something, the doctor will discuss it with me, tell me the pros and cons, and then I make the decision, not the doctor, not an insurance company, ME!
Read my thread and see what my experiences have been, both in the us and in mexico, with insurance and without. I think you will find it interesting.

Forum List

Back