"When Your A Hammer, Everything Is A Nail" (Prison Reform)

TonightAtDawn

Rookie
Jul 22, 2014
So I have been writing a multi part series on the need or reform in the U.S. penal system, and was looking for some insight form citizens around the nation. What are your thoughts pertaining to this situation?

I am sincerely looking for insight and even suggestions for the remaining installments of my story. I look forward to hearing from you all!!

I worked in a prison for a couple of years when I needed the money and I can tell you from experience that the inmates really run the asylum. An Officer can be called on the carpet for the slightest imagined affront to an inmate's perceived dignity. A smart inmate can access the law library and throw so many writs at a friendly federal judge that he will spend more time in court than in a cell. Inmates in American prisons live better, eat better and have better medical treatment than free people in most 3rd world countries.

I have no doubt that most US prisoners live better than people in 3rd world countries, but my focus is going to be on the rehabilitation side of the story. Basically, why is there such a high rate of recidivism (if I spelled that right).

I have no doubt that most US prisoners live better than people in 3rd world countries, but my focus is going to be on the rehabilitation side of the story. Basically, why is there such a high rate of recidivism (if I spelled that right).

Why is the US prison system forced to assume the responsibility for recidivism? The concept of inmate rehabilitation is a freaking myth developed by stupid liberals who would make better use of their time rehabilitating pit bull dogs. The solution is to create a work ethic in prison just like normal society and monitor their release closely with skilled parole officers.

I teach (volunteer) in a prison. I teach basic computer skills.

I think there is such a high rate because of the stigma attached to prisoners when they get out. They get out, try to find a job, housing etc and are usually denied due to their record. I am talking about minor crimes like drugs etc. No housing, no job... they go back to doing what they know. Which is what landed them in prison in the first place. It can be a vicious cycle.

I teach a lot of guys who are in for "small" things and I know they will have a tough road ahead. I teach computer skills because its what I know ..and hope it will help them a little when they are outside the walls.

Why not teach (volunteer) basic computer skills to recently discharged Military veterans or do convicts appeal to the liberal psyche more than Veterans?

I actually do also volunteer with Veterans Inc doing fundraisers and stand downs.

I come from a very military family.

But that wasn't the topic that was being discussed here.

Plus, most military already know basic computer skills.

You cannot rehabilitate those that have never been habilitated.

I think there is such a high rate because of the stigma attached to prisoners when they get out. They get out, try to find a job, housing etc and are usually denied due to their record. I am talking about minor crimes like drugs etc. No housing, no job... they go back to doing what they know. Which is what landed them in prison in the first place. It can be a vicious cycle.

I teach a lot of guys who are in for "small" things and I know they will have a tough road ahead. I teach computer skills because its what I know ..and hope it will help them a little when they are outside the walls.

Do you have access to the criminal records? Do you have access to what they were convicted for and what their sentence is?

I know for a fact that most inmates will lie about their convictions, hell most claim they are innocent.

Do you have access to the criminal records? Do you have access to what they were convicted for and what their sentence is?

I know for a fact that most inmates will lie about their convictions, hell most claim they are innocent.

No I do not have their full files. I do have their full names and can do a search on them and find out what they are in for though.

And yes, they will lie. I am not naive to my atmosphere when I am there. I do like to think that I am doing some good though. Just a little step up when they get out.

Forum List

Back