When you meet a bear on the road

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Hello, it is becoming more and more common bears more or less in the cities as there in the street

Hello, it is becoming more and more common bears more or less in the cities as there in the street

That's common around here, but I live in the woods.

Black bear are shy. They won't usually get aggressive unless challenged or protecting cubs.

A few days ago I had a bear right near my front door. Looking for bird feeders to eat the seeds. I banged on the door to shoo it away and next day took down the bird feeders --- what was left of them. And I sprayed ammonia around the perimeter to deter her from coming back.

Je pense que t'a raison --- we humans have encroached on their territory so much that we are seeing more in our midst.

I hear Grizzlies are being reintroduced in the northwest of this continent, I forget exactly where.

Black bear are shy. They won't usually get aggressive unless challenged or protecting cubs.

A few days ago I had a bear right near my front door. Looking for bird feeders to eat the seeds. I banged on the door to shoo it away and next day took down the bird feeders --- what was left of them. And I sprayed ammonia around the perimeter to deter her from coming back.

Je pense que t'a raison --- we humans have encroached on their territory so much that we are seeing more in our midst.

I hear Grizzlies are being reintroduced in the northwest of this continent, I forget exactly where.

Pogo, it must be scary to see a bear nearby and it is true that it happens more often near the forest especially when we go camping they are looking for food but the bear is a carnivore too, must be careful not to to become their meal

Pogo, it must be scary to see a bear nearby and it is true that it happens more often near the forest especially when we go camping they are looking for food but the bear is a carnivore too, must be careful not to to become their meal

And they can run faster than we can.

We have an old joke here. Two campers are out in the woods when they notice a bear in the distance, coming toward them. They both run (which is not a wise thing to do with a bear). The older camper says "do you think we can outrun that bear? The younger camper says "I don't need to outrun that bear I only need to outrun YOU".

:lol:

We have an old joke here. Two campers are out in the woods when they notice a bear in the distance, coming toward them. They both run (which is not a wise thing to do with a bear). The older camper says "do you think we can outrun that bear? The younger camper says "I don't need to outrun that bear I only need to outrun YOU".

It is a good one :badgrin: Ha! or you have to be a good climber and as high as you can in the tree:badgrin:

A other one...The mama bear with her babies at Yellowstone in the street with tourists

A other one...The mama bear with her babies at Yellowstone in the street with tourists

You can see in the body language those bears are frolicking, not being aggressive. The people running away, maybe a natural reflex, are treating it the wrong way. The man with the camera toward the end has the right idea -- he stands tall and the bear retreats.

It is a good one :badgrin: Ha! or you have to be a good climber and as high as you can in the tree:badgrin:

Bears can climb trees faster than humans, probably not as high, though.

I've shot about twenty bears IMT. The meat makes get sausage mixed with venison/canada goose!
Skin out a bear. It looks exactly like a human.

You can see in the body language those bears are frolicking, not being aggressive. The people running away, maybe a natural reflex, are treating it the wrong way. The man with the camera toward the end has the right idea -- he stands tall and the bear retreats.

I think that the mama bear would have Attack if someone when close to her babies ?

I think that the mama bear would have Attack if someone when close to her babies ?

Likely. But the point is not to walk toward the bear... the point is to not-run-away. The bear's instinct is then to chase something running away. And they're faster than us. The better strategy is to stand tall, even hold up one's arms, in order to look "big", something like the man with the camera is doing (and the bear retreats). That's what I would do. They could also make banging noises or shake a rattle if they have one (to use their fear of rattlesnakes).

The animal world is all about primal instincts of domination and submission and control and territory and food supplies. One needs to simply understand the Languages of Nature .

Forum List

Back