When will 'victory' be declared?

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
I'd like to know when you folks think victory will be declared and a full withdrawal will be completed.

I mean - obviously - its whenever it is politically the most advantageous for the Republcian party - but when is that?

My prediction is May of 2008. This way, we are out by election time, yet with only 6 months, there won't really be enough time for Iraq to decay into complete chaos AND the war will still be fresh on people's minds so they will know they still have to be afraid and think the way the Republicans want them to.

Anyone's thoughts?

SpidermanTuba said:
I'd like to know when you folks think victory will be declared and a full withdrawal will be completed.

I mean - obviously - its whenever it is politically the most advantageous for the Republcian party - but when is that?

My prediction is May of 2008. This way, we are out by election time, yet with only 6 months, there won't really be enough time for Iraq to decay into complete chaos AND the war will still be fresh on people's minds so they will know they still have to be afraid and think the way the Republicans want them to.

Anyone's thoughts?
I very much doubt that the US will be fully 'withdrawn' from Iraq by 2008, but there will be substantial drawdown. The reason for staying beyond? Probably our own mistake, not keeping some of the Iraqi military leadership after the quick entry. Proven mistake.

While the 'troops' can be effectively taught comparatively quickly, not so 'leaders'. They need time to develop, more than 3 years, more like 5-20, depending on people and level.

SpidermanTuba said:

Anyone's thoughts?

Makes sense to me. But then again, WW II was over 50 years ago and we still have troops in Germany and Japan.

dilloduck said:
Hopefully the people of Iraq will invite us to maintain permanent bases in Iraq.
That would be good strategically for the US but I suspect Iraq's neighbors would have a problem with that.

CSM said:
That would be good strategically for the US but I suspect Iraq's neighbors would have a problem with that.

Can't see as how being a thorn in their side would be any different than the fact that they are actively suppport and encourage unrest in Iraq. Maybe they would like to make a deal.

SpidermanTuba said:

Anyone's thoughts?

Two years. The Gov't of Iraq will ask us to leave within two years.

We'll have bases there for the next fifty years. We still haven't withdrawn from europe. They'll soon grow used to getting the spending cash of military guys.

Forum List

Back