When Will Search Function Be Fixed?

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
The search function does not go any farther back than January 2019. I cannot find posts I made prior to this year.

What is going on?

The search function does not go any farther back than January 2019. I cannot find posts I made prior to this year.

What is going on?
C'mon now, you spew your fake news and hatred without it can't you?

What is going on?

Probably happened when we moved to a new server. Sometimes it is out of our control.

What is going on?
C'mon now, you spew your fake news and hatred without it can't you?
I like going back and finding posts you pseudocons have made which demonstrate your current hypocrisy.

I'm sure you hate that.

What is going on?

Probably happened when we moved to a new server. Sometimes it is out of our control.
Is there not a spider function (web crawler) which can restore it?

What is going on?

Is there not a spider function (web crawler) which can restore it?

I do not know because I can't see things either. We have to depend on the owners/Admin. Sorry. I would like to have mine back as well. :(

Still not fixed.

Do any of the forum Admins give a flying fuck?

The search results now consider "recency" as a major factor. I'm sure you can understand why this would be functional given most of the topics that are discussed on a political forum are time sensitive. If you don't like the search results as they currently are (more advanced then before) use google and type something like this: site:usmessageboard.com <search terms> --- Google will let you tailor your search even more.

The search results now consider "recency" as a major factor. I'm sure you can understand why this would be functional given most of the topics that are discussed on a political forum are time sensitive. If you don't like the search results as they currently are (more advanced then before) use google and type something like this: site:usmessageboard.com <search terms> --- Google will let you tailor your search even more.
That is a grossly unsatisfactory answer.

I have frequently used the search function to show posts I have made in the past to contradict bullshit claims made by liars on this forum. I also use it to show past posts of hypocrites to prove their hypocrisy.

Google does not do as good a job at finding those past posts as the forum search function used to.

Here's an example. When Trump was inaugurated, I preserved the prices of eggs, milk, gas, hamburger, and other common items used by Americans.

Find me those posts using Google.

Good luck with that.

I have frequently used the search function to show posts I have made in the past to contradict bullshit claims made by liars on this forum. I also use it to show past posts of hypocrites to prove their hypocrisy.

Google does not do as good a job at finding those past posts as the forum search function used to.

Oh no, can't agree with that at all.
I haven't bothered with the site's search window since the software change as it's been continuously inadequate. Instead I Google "usmessageboard.com" with my name (assuming it's something I was in) plus whatever keyword I can recall that would pinpoint it. That works way better.

Only thing is, recently it's been giving me the thread I was looking for but presenting it signed out and won't let me sign in. But the page is there to quote or copy or whatever.

I haven't bothered with the site's search window since the software change as it's been continuously inadequate. Instead I Google "usmessageboard.com" with my name (assuming it's something I was in) plus whatever keyword I can recall that would pinpoint it. That works way better.

Only thing is, recently it's been giving me the thread I was looking for but presenting it signed out and won't let me sign in. But the page is there to quote or copy or whatever.
Google will take you to a topic in which you posted the search terms you are looking for, but it takes you to a random page in that thread, not to your post. Your post may be 40 pages away, and you have no way of knowing.

Google thoroughly sucks as an alternative.

Basically, the forum administrators are too lazy to fix the problem.

Google will take you to a topic in which you posted the search terms you are looking for, but it takes you to a random page in that thread, not to your post. Your post may be 40 pages away, and you have no way of knowing.

All that's true, but the internal search function in my experience rarely returns anything at all, so something is better than nothing. And Google definitely does find the older threads as regards your initial concern.

If one can remember the thread title it usually can work, but that doesn't cover much.

Now I qualify this by saying I haven't tried it yet -- BUT ----

It may NOT be 40 pages away... It might only 3 or 6 pages away.. Here's why.. In the past, when I got Google hits to USMB, they generally took me directly to the post. Even the CONTENT of that post was abbreviated in the google summary..

The PROBLEM IS -- the same problem we have with posters giving mod staff links to stuff that are just copied from your browser URL listing.. And this is NOT exact if you have your "posts per page" set to something other than the DEFAULT setting.. I think default is something like 20 posts/page.. You get farther away from the ACTUAL POST the longer the thread is -- if your posts/page are NOT the default...

So I will try the Google suggestion and see if it's ACCURATE with the default # of posts/page.

BTW --- if you want mod staff to LOOK at a post (or anyone else for that matter) DO NOT copy the URL, use the pop-up when you click the post NUMBER as the link....That's accurate regardless of your posts/page setting...

Forum List

Back